Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who here has converted over to be the happy owner of the Charger? I am on my way out of being an Neon enthusiast and will be here with the rest of you guys as Charger enthusiasts early next year....or so I hope. Anyone else care to stand up and say they once were? Then I might actually know some people around here since all the names are quite different. Over on Neons.org my Screen Name is GT Neon but as I mentioned before I am getting away from that quickly and moving on to these kick ass cars.

Later

·
Banned
113 Posts
people actually like Neon's?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have owned two Camaros and two Mustangs before I owned the Charger...best car I have ever bought...cant stand rice burners though sorry

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I looked at buying a Neon in '95 as reliable transportation for my new wife (bought a used '88 LeBaron instead, big mistake). I also looked at buying a pre-SRT-4 Neon R/T in '03 as an economy measure for a commuter car. I'm not really a Neon enthusiast, however.

Here's a question for the Neon enthusiasts: WTF is the deal with the power front, manual rear windows? I can easily roll down both front windows from the driver's seat - the rear ones are the ones that should be power...

·
Registered
253 Posts
SRT8Charger07, I'm there with you man. I currently a 04 SRT-4 as my daily driver. And to honest it is still one of my favorate cars I have owned. It is soooo fun to drive a low 13 sec neon! And yes I have owned other high $$ cars (camaro ss, mustang cobra, etc.) but this is different fun. No one expects you to be fast, but guess again. But its time to move on and my Daytona is on its way. So I'll now act my age :wink: hehe. Well close anyways.

·
Registered
315 Posts
We had a 04 SRT4 that had quite a bit of work done to it, put down 480whp before nitrous. We sold it when we got our Magnum and then the Magnum for the Charger. We really wanted a super fast car again, thats why we did the Supercharger on the Charger and are now sitting on our hands to do the Heads, Cam, Intake, bigger Headers and Exhaust.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
farkedup said:
Yup. If you didn't have much money and still wanted Mopar then they were the best bang for the buck....

fubaracing said:
I have owned two Camaros and two Mustangs before I owned the Charger...best car I have ever bought...cant stand rice burners though sorry
Actually I am right there with you I can't stand the rice burners and am getting sick of 4 bangers regardless of the fuel economy.

Dutch said:
Here's a question for the Neon enthusiasts: WTF is the deal with the power front, manual rear windows? I can easily roll down both front windows from the driver's seat - the rear ones are the ones that should be power...
Yeah I never truely understood that one either. Since I have two coupes (one with power windows and one without) I never really got the crank windows in the rear. Guess that is just one of those mysteries.

hemibates said:
SRT8Charger07, I'm there with you man. I currently a 04 SRT-4 as my daily driver. And to honest it is still one of my favorate cars I have owned. It is soooo fun to drive a low 13 sec neon! And yes I have owned other high $$ cars (camaro ss, mustang cobra, etc.) but this is different fun. No one expects you to be fast, but guess again. But its time to move on and my Daytona is on its way. So I'll now act my age :wink: hehe. Well close anyways.
Well, at least I can relate to someone that is currently living with a Neon. I will have to admit that the fast FWD cars are sometimes not at all what you expected when you get whooped by one....been there and done that :wink:

needasrt4 said:
We had a 04 SRT4 that had quite a bit of work done to it, put down 480whp before nitrous. We sold it when we got our Magnum and then the Magnum for the Charger. We really wanted a super fast car again, thats why we did the Supercharger on the Charger and are now sitting on our hands to do the Heads, Cam, Intake, bigger Headers and Exhaust.
Cool. I know of quite a few locals who are putting down that kind of power but like you I am interested in a superfast car or atleast one that has tons of untapped potential.

Later

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
farkedup said:
(stands in shadows and taps foot...........)

Why yes, some people DO like Neons:) Heck, some folks who like Neons have to buy an SRT -8 just to get something as fast as their Neon :) Some folks even like thier Neo so much they are willing to push back their SRT-8 purchase a year, just to keep thier Neon.

Hmmm, think Ive said Neon enough?

:happy:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
And yes, that is indeed a picture of yours truly, launching at MIR:) Note the nose high and butt low attitude. The photographer caught the exact moment of weight transfer

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what is the best time you have run in the SRT-4 GLHS837?

Later

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
ok.... the neon is a mystery to me.... it is a ricer, for those that want an american made car... quality has never been something the car is known for, safety? might be wrong here... but aren't neons classified as death traps?

They might be fast.... but if I stuck a high output motor in cardboard box.... well I bet it would beat the neon down the track... but not something that I would want to own...

Sorry if this appears as a "hater" post.... but the neon is something of a joke in my mind (again see cardboard box comparission when you bring up the speed of it)... and keep in mind.... I currently own what some think is the ugliest vehicle since the aztech.... so I know how widely opinions vary on things when I make a post like this... :D

·
Banned
113 Posts
the SRT4 is the ricer for people who try not to be ricers LOL the neon is an econobox POS.

But alot of ricer haters will be buying SRT4's and the new ford fusion :) (fusion is the Ford label mazda 6) We can't forget to dis the Cobalt BTW

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rather then drag this out into a huge argument about how crappy the Neon is and how it has improved or not. That chapter is closing in my life so you guys are essentially preaching to the quire.

Later

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Good boogely, folks, for those that cant stand to hear any negative words about thier chosen conveyance, I'm hearing all sorts of nastiness. But, with a skin thicker than most, I"m okay.

Okay, history lesson time folks.

For some time, in the eighties, when some of us came of automotive age, there was a class of cars called "pocket rockets" or "hot hatches". Then,as now, Dodge was there. And kicked all their asses :)

For not a lot of money, you could mix it up with the big boys of the day. You know, a lot of the folks involved with making the SRTteam were also involved with the Shelby program.

Ricer? Not hardly. Ricer connotates visual mods to no gain, and stupid mods that are about sounding cool, not going fast. To me anyway. I ask anyone who thinks the SRT-4 crowd is all about looks to check the number of posts in the performance mods section against the visual mods section.

Now, Daytona, reliability is pretty darn good. Check the latest Consumer reports numbers 03 and up is on the best side of the chart. And crash test results suck, but real world, they hold up pretty darn well. I've seen the results of some amazing crashes, like a 130 rollover, and only know of four fatalities, some kids in CA who went off a cliff.

Openmindedness folks, its a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
474 Posts
You know, I love the Charger, absolutely love it, and have defended it against the haters ever since it came out. I too will probably be in a Charger in about 4 years, depending on how the Challenger looks that is. There is something to be said about a car that can haul 4 people comfortably, and do it with 340/350hp. But some of you narrow minded people really p#@% me off.

I am also a current SRT-4 owner. People can have their opinion about it all they want, fact of the matter is it's great for what it's supposed to be, an affordable sport compact. To that tune, there is no other sport compact that can match it in performance, and until I see modified Chargers running 11.9's or better in the 1/4 like the SRT-4 (with Mopar parts), well, it has a way to go before you guys can start bragging about the Charger's performance compared to the SRT-4. I'm not saying it won't eventually, just that it hasn't done it yet, and has a ways to go. Even the mighty SRT-8 is gonna have to have some work done to match that. I can't wait until it does get there though, hell I'm excited for it to happen! And some of you guys really need to learn what a true "ricer" or "riceburner" is, some of you just don't have a clue...lol.

As far as reliability, I just turned 13,000 miles on my SRT-4, haven't had a single problem, and it has been driven hard quite a bit. I had an 02 Neon R/T prior to the SRT-4, had around 27,000 miles on it when I traded it, only had one minor problem that was fixed at no charge, other than that, nothing else. I have had 2 GM vehicles in the past (which only made me realize that much more how much I love Mopars), and both of those were absolutely loaded with quality issues and problems, so I can tell you from first hand experience, the Neon/SRT-4 aren't as bad as they once were. Yes, they had problems in the past, but they have been corrected. Which bodes well for you new owners of Chargers, whether or not you can see that, who knows, but you probably can't open your narrow mind enough to...lol.

As for safety, way I see it is any compact car is a death trap in today's age of monster sized trucks and SUV's. Is no small car on the market going to fair well against a 5,500lb truck in a head on collision, that's the bottom line.

In closing, all I can say is I can't wait until around 09 or 10 when I purchase either a Challenger or a Charger. I probably still won't give up my SRT-4 though, because I absolutely love it's performance/value ratio, and have an absolute blast driving it. Even my dad, who used to own a 440 six pack Cuda and had quite the reputation back home during his day for being able to drive it, loves driving my SRT-4 and comments about how well it performs when he gets out of it.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Make no mistake, Dutch, ANY car can be riced:) Stickers, 14.99 Wal-Mart plastic chrome wheel covers, shorty antennas, 2Fast, 2Furious crap from Autozone, it can happen to any car, and does. wont be long before we see "riced" Chargers.

But just there are very well built Integras that are clean looking and VERY fast, there will be Chargers with all the mods I listed.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...Z6199QQitemZ4572336816QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If this is not a great example of "domestic rice", I dont know what is. Resto CB, antenna, stupid wheels, and of course the graphics.

26 cars on cardomain, see how many are "rolling 20/22s". And a few sporting lambo doors.

Anyone calling the SRT-4 rice should look real close in the backyard. Useless appearance mods are the epitome of "rice" to any gearhead. I do have 2 on my SRT-4
my SRTOC plate frame, and my "Mopar Stage ?" plauque.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GLHS837 said:
wont be long before we see "riced" Chargers.
Oh come on you guys anyone who thinks my future plans for my Charger R/T would be considered rice don't know anything :wink:
vvv My First Cameo Pic vvv

1 - 20 of 38 Posts