Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, heres some basics about the tribe of computer programs collectively called HAL, after the mad computer in 2001: A Space Oddesy.

Understand that there are five interrelated systems, all operating together, performing different functions, sharing sensors and mechanisms. ESP/ABS/TCS/BLD/BAS all work together, sometimes teaming up, sometimes not. They have different missions, but for one to accomplish its mission, it might require help from another.

ESP = Electronic Stability Programming - mainly concerned with yaw control, keeping the car from spinning out. Compares steering angle, yaw sensor, and other inputs to deduce excessive yaw(spin), can use individual brake caliper control to tap one or more brakes, E-throttle to pull power, trans control to upshift and reduce power more, all to pivot the car back in line

ABS= Antilock Braking System- keeps indivuidual brakes from locking up by comparing wheels speeds to each other, and compared to road speed (deduced from trans info and engine RPM, in addition to wheel speeds)

TCS = traction control system - only cares about rear wheels compared to forward speed. Together or separately, tires that dont match road speed can have brakes applied, E-throttle pulled, upshift also.

BLD = Brake lock differential - sorta related to, and in some way the same as TCS, with subtle differences. big difference is that BLD doesnt care about forward speed, just about rear wheels compared to each other. So, if you are at 2mph road speed, while the rear wheels spin at 30mph (a burnout, for instance), as long as the wheels are the same speed, no intervention will happen.

BAS = Brake Assist System - the least complained about of these systems, becuase it only acts in a very limited sphere, and never in a way that most folks would ever notice. What it does, is based on brake pedal aplication, it predicts when abosulute braking is being requested, and actually makes that happen. It was found that lots of folks do give intial full braking, but immediaely taper off, when full braking longer was really needed.

More to follow.....

See, I said there would be more. Heres a great link. It goes to the Bosch website, view the "Falling Box" video. Shows the concepts involved well.

http://www.bosch-escential.com/us/language1/filmclips.html

Reactions: ShermD

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Very good info encapsulated nicely - gotta post that as a 'sticky'. Might want to check some spelling like 'taw' control, tho.....

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I thought it was a real HAL9000 :(

Good write-up Bill.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
BAS works in conjuction with ESP, not ABS. As in, if your car starts to spin out of control, it will apply brake action to the required wheel to "right" the car back on track. Prevents over-steer. This is why the NoESP delete allows you to get sideways, and still retain full ABS function.

ABS releases brake pressure, not apply it.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YEs, Crow, your right, I was sloppy. Its the pressure application that ESP uses, not the pressure release side:)

Heres the descriptive blurb from the maker, Continental-Teves.

Hydraulic Brake Assist HBA

This latest solution is based on existing components in the Electronic Stability Control (ESC)*. The BA function is triggered through extension of the ESC software and requires inputs e.g. from the pressure sensor in the tandem master cylinder.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
and if you replace each letter in HAL with the next letter of the alphabet...you get IBM

that's the extent of my knowledge about computers.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
You should add TCM, PCM, CCN, etc!

(I'm trying hard not to compliment the Nasty Little Doggy...)

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nah, theres other places for all the other acronyms we use, I want this to be just about the systems, not really the parts it uses.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Nah, theres other places for all the other acronyms we use, I want this to be just about the systems, not really the parts it uses.
:plain:

CANBus, then... :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to get you off my A$$:)

CANBUS is the acronym for the network type that all the various computers in the car (11-12, I think) communicate over.

·
Vendor
10,370 Posts
On the HAL name, the Movie actually wanted to use IBM. However, since the royalties were way toooooo expensive, they backed the letters up one and got HAL.

B.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Just to get you off my A$$:)

CANBUS is the acronym for the network type that all the various computers in the car (11-12, I think) communicate over.
Whatta PRINCE! :grin:

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
I'm sorry, Dave, I don't think i will be able to allow that!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
and if you replace each letter in HAL with the next letter of the alphabet...you get IBM

that's the extent of my knowledge about computers.
Wow, this remark is really creative if you think about it!!! I would have never ever come up with something like this.... Its possibly useless but hey, you do get IBM like he said!

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
I'm sorry Dave, I can't allow that wordplay on IBM. Too many lawyers.
Although I've enjoyed many stimulating conversations with them, I still have have the greatest enthusiasm for the mission.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Can= Controller Area Network.... From Mopar Mag.sept/oct Release

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Wow, this remark is really creative if you think about it!!! I would have never ever come up with something like this.... Its possibly useless but hey, you do get IBM like he said!
well it's not my original idea...it's what everyone thought when they heard HAL from the tv series "Lost in Space" when IBM started to get popular.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
I believe 'TSB' might be a good word to define when dealing with 1st year Charger SRTs. Not hating in the slightest, just a statement of fact. if only all 1st model year vehicles had as few issues as SRTs do, with 1/2 the 'wow' factor.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts