Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ? If so how did you prep the them ? Time to mod and I wanna go flat black .

·
Registered
885 Posts
Anyone ? If so how did you prep the them ? Time to mod and I wanna go flat black .
I don't think you want to do that, but good luck. EVERY person that tried, no matter how much they sanded, stripped, prepped and painted, had rock hits take the paint right back off, if it did not bubble off first.

Now on another note...I HAVE SEEN THAT CHARGER! I was down at Lejeune with mine a little while ago and it is Charger City. All these Marines with nothing to blow their money on but Chargers. Only...not a single R/T in sight. They all buy SEs and stick huge ugly rims and grilles on them. Also noticed that the business owners realize this, as there was a rim shop or barber every third building in that city. Rim Shop, Barber, Sonic, Barber, Hooters, Rim Shop, Rim Shop, Wal-Mart, Barber, Rim Shop.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
i painted mine with flack black. drove 3 hours to dallas the day after and drove back the next day. havent had any chip off yet.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
just buy one trust me...painting is not the solution here...it will not turn out good...just do yourself a favor and spend the extra loot and buy one already painted or a flat black one trust me it will save you a lot of Tylenol...

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I don't think you want to do that, but good luck. EVERY person that tried, no matter how much they sanded, stripped, prepped and painted, had rock hits take the paint right back off, if it did not bubble off first.
Sorry, not every single person. I painted mine last fall and it still looks good.

Here's the link to my lessons learned...
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29339&highlight=lessons

Would I do it again? Probably not. I think at least part of the reason mine is still ok is that I had my 3M guy put the clear bra on the grill. If you add the cost of materials and the 3M it probably was more expensive than buying a pre-painted grill. Of course, you could argue that a lot of guys would 3M the pre-painted grill too, so then the cost goes back up.

It was a pain, a TON of prep and careful sanding/polishing after. If I had to give out advice, I'd say buy it. I guess I like the process of learning something new, so I did it myself.

Let me know if you decide to paint, I'll help however I can.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
its all about prep work. you can do it just fine especially since you're doing flat black.

you wont need any clear. and if it does chip....flat back is easy to touch up.

if you were trying to paint it a gloss color and you've never painted before, i would def tell you to buy one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts