Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first let me let everyone know i'm a v6er (no no please don't go hear me out) and i'm trying to do anything and everything to make my baby bad ass minus the extra 100 ponies that i'm missing .. seeing that im living in Boston and winter is right around the corner im starting from the ground up.. i don't have much money and i'm not really that flashy type but i want her to look different and mean at the same time.. so i opted to go for the 18" x 7.5 steel police wheels now the question i have guys is i want to put some nice fat tires on the back and a little smaller ones on the front . i found these very nice toyo proxes s/t's. i want to know if these 285/50R18 will fit on the back and maybe some 255/50r18 in the front.. or maybe 55r18's on both.. now i have heard some people say 255 is the biggest you can go on a stock rim size which is 18x7.5 and then i have heard of some people putting 285's i really want to know once and for all if i can do this. please any insight would be greatly appriciated

131.00 for the 285's
121.00 for the 255's

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
255 max is the way to go...I don't believe you'll find many shops willing to put anything bigger than the 255s. I have 255/55 on mine, but I was also looking at those Toyos in a 255/50 size before deciding on the F1 GS-D3s from Goodyear (I really wanted a summer tire). If you go with a 255, it will have to be one of those ratios...because for a 255/45 size the recommended minimum rim width is wider than our 7.5s.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
why would you do this to a v6 anyway gorillia

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
sorry had to do it the way you started off this post 8i would agree with bannana you dont want to go more much more than a 255 tire it can be done to give it that bubbled out look but not the best route to go i believe you can fit a 275 but yeah stick with the 255 to much pre mature sidewall wearing if you go wider than the the wheel is meant for.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the 50's according to the tire calculator are better percentage wise for my car is there going to be any difference visually??

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was reading that pdf and the biggest i can put on there is a 275.. another question i have was should i go with a 255/ 50 or 255/ 55 .. according to the tire calculator i used a 55 is going to throw off my speedo a lil bit more than the 50 plus if i get the 275 they only come in 50's ... is there a big difference is size from the 255 to 275 ? is it really noticeable the last question gor for the 50 and 55 as well ??

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
another question i have is if i have different diameter tires in the front in back (255/55/18 fr and 275/55/18 bk) is that going to throw off my esp??

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
When my Michelins die, which should be just in time for winter in the 'Ville, I'm going with Hankook's Icebear W300's, 255/55/18. It's a very interesting winter/all season tire. I'll put 6 G's on em and report back to everyone.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what do you guys think of the Fortera TripleTred they look awsome but they are a little pricey

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
should i go to 255 50 or 255 55??
Depends on what tires are offered in those sizes...check it out and compare them to each other. i was originally looking for something in a 255/50 size but the few tires that I was looking at did not come in that size.

the 50's according to the tire calculator are better percentage wise for my car is there going to be any difference visually??
The 255/50 size is closer to the original tire's overall height...hence, not very different in appearance. A 255/55 size fills in the wheel well a bit more, so it closes the gap nicer than the 255/50...or the 235/55 I originally had on.

i was reading that pdf and the biggest i can put on there is a 275.. another question i have was should i go with a 255/ 50 or 255/ 55 .. according to the tire calculator i used a 55 is going to throw off my speedo a lil bit more than the 50 plus if i get the 275 they only come in 50's ... is there a big difference is size from the 255 to 275 ? is it really noticeable the last question gor for the 50 and 55 as well ??
DO NOT GO WITH THE 275s...might be tempting, but it could also prove to be dangerous. The 55 series tire will throw your speedo off a bit more, but it's not that big of a difference...it's 3%...still within specs when choosing a larger diameter tire, but that's the max. the 275 is 20mm (or almost 13/16ths of an inch) wider than a 255.

another question i have is if i have different diameter tires in the front in back (255/55/18 fr and 275/55/18 bk) is that going to throw off my esp??
Not sure about this one but it may have a negative effect on the esp as well as the abs system.

what do you guys think of the Fortera TripleTred they look awsome but they are a little pricey
What kind of performance are you looking for from the tire? Selecting a 255 width suggests that you're looking for a higher performance tire, which the Fortera Triple Tred is not. Have you looked at the Response Edge from Goodyear?

·
Registered
91 Posts
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html don't know which calculator you're using but this one is awesome. lets you see a diagram of tire as you put in the stock size and then the new size you watch the tire change shape then tells you what % off it makes the speedometer and an example of what speed it would say and how fast you're really goin

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i wanted a great all season tire its a rear wheel drive car and i live out here in boston soo i want something that i can use through all the seasons

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
i wanted a great all season tire its a rear wheel drive car and i live out here in boston soo i want something that i can use through all the seasons
Why don't you go with a 235/55 18 instead of a 255...you'll be able to find a good all season in that size, I'm sure.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the fortera treds look mean and have an amazing rating in all categories and a 60,000 mile rating im going for a mean look i have a silver steal (dark grey)charger with the srt spoiler and im putting the 18inch police wheels all black and then im going to get the hood that top banana has and then i would love to do my exhaust system over i want to get some black tips though for what ever i get all the chrome is going bye bye and im really considering getting rid of the door moldings

1 - 16 of 16 Posts