Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excluding the Viper and the soon to come SRT-Charger, which stock product in the Dodge family could take the 5.7 R/T Charger? :confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
SRT-4 modded to stage 3 will for sure. I know I have both. Will see bout a stock SRT-4. My plans are to have my charger to the track by Wednesday of next week. I can give a complete report then.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Stock SRT-4 could do it and it would probably be a really close race too.

Later

·
Registered
549 Posts
Dunno but I know the race (Stock vs. Stock) would be really close if the SRT had a horrible launch like they usually get from all of that wheel hop.

Later

·
Registered
315 Posts
Stock for Stock, SRT4 will outrun the Charger, have had both

We were gonna try to take the Charger to the track tonight but have to work instead

·
Registered
24 Posts
Me and few, 5 or so, SRT-4 buddies of min are heading to the track tonight. Several are stock. I will pick the one with the best times and race him. I have talked my wife into bringing the Charger just for fun. I should have track times and some video to post tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
oh very cool srt4 me 2004! i have no life right now so i will be looking forward to the videos and times!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
now granted I have not paid much attention to the SRT-4 at all, mainly because deep down it is still a neon (not cared for the neon since it was introduced)..... but from what I have seen in articles... its times are not that far off of the charger R/T, so in reality it would come down to the driver.....

·
Registered
474 Posts
DAYTONA_R/T said:
now granted I have not paid much attention to the SRT-4 at all, mainly because deep down it is still a neon (not cared for the neon since it was introduced)..... but from what I have seen in articles... its times are not that far off of the charger R/T, so in reality it would come down to the driver.....
You should test drive an SRT-4 once, you might not see it as just a neon any longer...lol. I have had a regular Neon R/T, and now own an SRT-4, trust me the two can not be more different as far as driving goes, in every form. If the Charger R/T is anything like the 300C (test drove one when they first came out), the SRT-4 will set you back in the seat every bit as much as the Charger R/T will.

I agree with you. Stock vs stock, it's going to be a drivers race. The performance numbers are very close. Stock SRT-4's are capable of running high 13's stock in the 1/4, I imagine the Charger R/T's will also. If a launch is involved, I'd give a slight edge to the Charger R/T due to the very thin line between big time wheel hop and massive wheel spin in the SRT-4. Driver ability is huge in an SRT-4, not so much a factor in the Charger R/T. I just wish I had a Charger R/T to park next to my SRT-4 :happy:

·
Registered
61 Posts
the guys over here in my dealership have raced the srt4 and the magnum r/t and the magnum r/t spanked it and they raced the srt and the charger the charger spanked it and they raced the magnum r/t and the chaerger r/t and the charger spanked it and all the cars were stock

·
Registered
89 Posts
I will know tonight if the charger r/t is faster than or about the same as the srt-4. My 03 SRT-4 ran 14.01 @ 98 stock in 100 degree weather.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
mano, don't trust results based on the dealership guys with brand new cars. Out in the real world, both cars get about the same 1/4 miles times. Most likely, they had no clue how to launch an SRT-4. Since it's going to be way easier to get a good launch in either the mag or the charger, chances are that it would turn out that way.

Daytona, you shoud try to get a ride in one, you just might be surprised:) My snobby Porsche owning friend certainly was.

·
Registered
61 Posts
this test was done on the track when they go out and test drive the new cars. before they come out, and thats standard with all dealerships and their new cars. like some of my other friends from chevy are gonna go out putthe pedal to the floor on the new monte carlos and impala that come out with the v8 for 06

·
Registered
61 Posts
plus for the troll guy i have test drove the daytona wasnt impressed at all. my charger has a way better get up and go. plus the exhaust wasnt impressing and the colors in the interior dont match.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
GLHS837 said:
Daytona, you shoud try to get a ride in one, you just might be surprised:) My snobby Porsche owning friend certainly was.

Dont have any urge or reason to... now I wont sit here and say its a POS that does not perform or anything like that... it just does nothing for me... as I said, I have disliked the car since it came on the market... I will not go into other points of view I have on it, because it will just turn into a flame war between me and you guys that own them.... and will leave it at that.. we all have our own points of view on everything...

·
Registered
474 Posts
DAYTONA_R/T said:
Dont have any urge or reason to... now I wont sit here and say its a POS that does not perform or anything like that... it just does nothing for me... as I said, I have disliked the car since it came on the market... I will not go into other points of view I have on it, because it will just turn into a flame war between me and you guys that own them.... and will leave it at that.. we all have our own points of view on everything...
Naaa, it's all good. Us SRT-4 owners are used to people not giving our cars any respect. Is why we usually have to earn it. I understand what you are saying, and respect that. It's not for everybody, and that's why it's great there are so many different models out there. Hey, at least you are keeping it in the Dodge family!

I will say this, Charger R/T owners (and it's sister cars) that come up against an SRT-4 with somebody who actually knows how to drive it, are gonna be surprised to see it running door to door with them.

steel guy, I think the results you speak of are linked directly to the easy launching ability of the LX cars. With the autostick, and traction control, it's simply a matter of mashing the pedal and going. Anybody can do that (will be a little different in the SRT versions). Not so with the SRT-4, where you actually have a clutch, a tricky launch, and have to be able to shift gears extremely fast (preferrably WOT shifts) to get the best 1/4 mile time. A so so driver in an SRT-4 will lose to a Charger R/T in the 1/4, I don't doubt that. Hence the reason for the results you speak of most likely.

Bottom line is this. Both cars drive differently, and are also built for different purposes (they really shouldn't even be compared to each other), but in the end, they are both pretty fast, and great automobiles. Now if I can just hold off until the Challenger is released.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Big Country said:
Naaa, it's all good. Us SRT-4 owners are used to people not giving our cars any respect. Is why we usually have to earn it. I understand what you are saying, and respect that. It's not for everybody, and that's why it's great there are so many different models out there. Hey, at least you are keeping it in the Dodge family!

I will say this, Charger R/T owners (and it's sister cars) that come up against an SRT-4 with somebody who actually knows how to drive it, are gonna be surprised to see it running door to door with them.

steel guy, I think the results you speak of are linked directly to the easy launching ability of the LX cars. With the autostick, and traction control, it's simply a matter of mashing the pedal and going. Anybody can do that (will be a little different in the SRT versions). Not so with the SRT-4, where you actually have a clutch, a tricky launch, and have to be able to shift gears extremely fast (preferrably WOT shifts) to get the best 1/4 mile time. A so so driver in an SRT-4 will lose to a Charger R/T in the 1/4, I don't doubt that. Hence the reason for the results you speak of most likely.

Bottom line is this. Both cars drive differently, and are also built for different purposes (they really shouldn't even be compared to each other), but in the end, they are both pretty fast, and great automobiles. Now if I can just hold off until the Challenger is released.
Ya, I like the idea of that :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well made one pass as soon as I pulled though the gate. It was in the low 90's with high humidity. It was thundering and lightning when we got there. The charger had 528 miles on it. I staged with out doing a burnout and pulled a horrible 60'. Hopefully I will get some better passes next week.
Here is the slip.

Click Picture
Is there anyone that can host a video for me? If so I have one of my lone pass.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts