Charger Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if your out of warranty dont worry. the sunroof/gasket/and bolt trim pieces all together come to a grand total of $130 at the parts counter and if your a garage it comes to around $95 to replace it your self. it should only take about a hour to replace it with a extra set of hands to keep from droping the new one and lining it up. i replaced mine today in 35 minutes and greased the tracks while i was at it.

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
reminds me to check warranty status....

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
open your sunroof half way and stop it so the front leading edge is right over your head-than look at the front edge were the black gasket lips around to the bottom side of the metal frame and you will see rust there. use a flash light and you will see rust bubbles. if you have a early 06 the gasket has a seem on the back side of the sunroof -vent the glass and look at the botton of the frame at that seem and you might get a shocker!!!! the very late 06 and 07 cars have a better frame gasket thats doesnt have a seem in it and the gasket is a little thicker. elcobra has some pic's of his rust.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If I understand this correctly, the metal trim around the edge of the sunroof glass can be replaced? I was guessing the trim was bonded to the glass, but it would be a much easier job if it weren't.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank's mat

no the frame is not replaceable-they only sell the whole glass panel-and then you need to attach the new gasket to it. theres a grove in the frame and the gasket has a lip or [t] shape to it that just you just press in to the grove.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
took mine in this week...mind you no rust...but it sits in a garage. I took it in for a PHANTOM rattle, they decided to read TSB's and replace it. Now I'm actually worried I might get a rattle. :)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
After reading this post we were going out for a spin so decided to take a look. Guess what was found yes that 4 letter word rust. So we had them look at it at the dealer and they are replacing it for us.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After reading this post we were going out for a spin so decided to take a look. Guess what was found yes that 4 letter word rust. So we had them look at it at the dealer and they are replacing it for us.
the new glass seems to be a hair darker/and the new gasket is alot better [thicker] and doesnt seem like it will shrink up and lift were the 2 ends meet at the rear of the glass dead center. i put mine in 2 nights ago in less then a hour.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Dealer has new glass on order for me to install some time next week. Warrenty coverd with 35k miles on car. Some one pointed this possible rust out in a thread a few weeks ago. I would have never thought to look or bring it to the dealers attention. This forum is great for getting this type of info out...

Thanks ALL!!!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
the new glass seems to be a hair darker/and the new gasket is alot better [thicker] and doesnt seem like it will shrink up and lift were the 2 ends meet at the rear of the glass dead center. i put mine in 2 nights ago in less then a hour.
We are lucky that ours is still under warranty. Glad to know that the new one is better.

Thanks everyone for the info

·
Registered
719 Posts
just dropped off mine today for the sunroof rattle and rusty sunroof....

i just bought a house and my baby finally has a home... and now she's sitting on a lot.

·
Banned
87 Posts
took mine in this week...mind you no rust...but it sits in a garage. I took it in for a PHANTOM rattle, they decided to read TSB's and replace it. Now I'm actually worried I might get a rattle. :)
Pa, do you have a link to the TSB or a TSB # ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts