Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone, here or at LX, actually filled up two tires with nitrogen, and two with air. Cant seem to find it, any help

(unleashes search hounds)

go get'em boys!!!!!!

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Why use another forum for something that was done by consumer reports years ago. :grin: grrrr the lx links

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2007/10/tires-nitrogen-.html

Its junk, its a marketing scam to get you in the door and thats it. Pretty easy to look at your tires and brakes when you have to go to the only place in town that carries the nitrogen you asked for

This is a heated debate in the tire industry but it is what it is.

More info
http://www.moderntiredealer.com/Article/Story/2009/07/The-benefits-of-nitrogen-inflation.aspx
http://ahotcupofjoe.wordpress.com/2008/07/16/nitrogen-tire-scam-part-3/

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, one member actually filled one side with air, one with nitro, even had pictures.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Was it umbrella man?

But why bother, it's ridiculous scam for money, bordering on the inline IAT resistor scam.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm having a discussion on this with my motorcycle buddies, and as always, there one or two guys that insist on facts. The consumer reports thing is nice, but only barely addressed the temp change issue. Which is why I was after that one guys test. He used an SRT and actually watched pressure changes due to temp from driving in real time, which you need an SRT to do.

Believe me guys, I know this is snake oil, Ive been fighting it since day one myself. But, expect to fight this one every fall forevermore. Once we get the annual lighting of the TPMS lights, expect to get this debate every time.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
ask them to identify the molecular size difference and apply the gas law to the difference.

The common argument is that jet airplane tires use it, so we should too. As you well know, that is a totally different set of operating conditions. Jet tire is designed to be overheated and slowly blow the safety valve. Water vapor in a jet tire would quickly turn to steam in an emergency condition and overwhelm the safety valve. Pure nitrogen is absent of water vapor.

The physics on the molecule size is unchangeable. Can't change the laws of physics, not matter how much someone says so.

Nick, what tire company is promoting Nitrogen. All of the ones I looked at said, they do not have a problem with Nitrogen, which is different from promoting it.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
The dealership I work at has recently spent $7k for a new Nitrogen machine and is pushing us like crazy to push the crap on customers at $30/car .... :rolleyes2:

I hate it.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I did that exact same test. I filled one side with Nitrogen and one side with the cheap stuff. I dont have pictures just my word but I can promise you I saw no difference in tire pressures from one side of the car to the other.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I have nitrogen in my tires and I love it...............My car rides 2x smoother, my gas mileage went up 4mpg, my car has more go off the line, my tread seems to be lasting much longer, and the car rides quieter........................................jk...................but I do have Nitrogen since it was free :)

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Sorry, I can't find the nitrogen test, either. (Sounds like something Arfur would do, but he didn't have an SRT...)

I did find a helium test, though!

Helium Test

:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I use nitrogen in all my cars. I don´t need fill every week my tires!! obviously I check every week my tires and I need to refill with nitrogen each 2 months (average, sometimes more sometimes less)

I feel a little improvement in mpg (very very tiny improvement) and better feel in bad roads and handling, and in my jeep felt better braking...

the improvements are very little, but exists

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use nitrogen in all my cars. I don´t need fill every week my tires!! obviously I check every week my tires and I need to refill with nitrogen each 2 months (average, sometimes more sometimes less)

I feel a little improvement in mpg (very very tiny improvement) and better feel in bad roads and handling, and in my jeep felt better braking...

Se,, I dont get this, lots of folks report pressure loss, but I top mine off, or drop pressure twice a year, and that's all I need. Once in the fall, once in the spring.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts

In the 4 years I've had my car, I have NEVER had to refill any of my tires (except after having them replaced because they didn't put enough in them to begin with). My TPMS lights never come on in the winter (although I don't really drive it in the winter, sitting for long periods would be worse than actually driving it though).

I have air in mine and that is the way it will stay. The dealer I go to laughs at the whole nitrogen thing - in their words, people who see a loss of air on a frequent basis will still have the same loss with nitrogen because there is a leak in the rim or tire. Cold weather compression (air compresses when it gets colder because it becomes more dense) is minimized if you have a moisture/water trap on the air line to remove as much moisture from the air being pumped into the tire.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I add 5 psi to mine in the winter and then remove 5 psi when summer hits to keep them around 35 psi.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Since air is 79% nitrogen, if tires leaked only the oxygen then eventually after repeated refills the tire would only contain nitrogen. But gee, that never seems to happen. Tire pressure goes up and down with temperature and there is nothing magical about 100% nitrogen vs. 79% nitrogen.

This is why America needs to invest more in Science education!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
My problem with Nitrogen is also that they deflate the tire but its not like they suck all the air out and create a vaccum before they put the Nitrogen in so its still not pure Nitrogen in the tire.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
ask them to identify the molecular size difference and apply the gas law to the difference.

The common argument is that jet airplane tires use it, so we should too. As you well know, that is a totally different set of operating conditions. Jet tire is designed to be overheated and slowly blow the safety valve. Water vapor in a jet tire would quickly turn to steam in an emergency condition and overwhelm the safety valve. Pure nitrogen is absent of water vapor.

The physics on the molecule size is unchangeable. Can't change the laws of physics, not matter how much someone says so.

Nick, what tire company is promoting Nitrogen. All of the ones I looked at said, they do not have a problem with Nitrogen, which is different from promoting it.
I'll look into it. I never said any company was "promoting it" just that tire guys are having real bashes over it. I started out as a tire guy back in the day and there are lots of people on both sides of the fence that i know in the tires sales industry. I'll post some info as i find it though as to who thinks what.

Firestone :
DOES NITROGEN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN TIRES?
Recently, some tire shops and filling stations have been offering Nitrogen (N2) as an inflation gas for passenger and light truck tires. Nitrogen is acceptable as an inflation gas for use in Bridgestone and Firestone passenger, light truck, and truck tires.

Bridgestone and Firestone tire innerliners are designed to act as pressure retention devices, specifically with the use of air, providing durability for the life of the tire and restricting air loss due to permeability. Nitrogen will not cause any detrimental reaction to the innerliner.

Bridgestone/Firestone passes no judgment on the claims stated by various Nitrogen suppliers.

The dealership I work at has recently spent $7k for a new Nitrogen machine and is pushing us like crazy to push the crap on customers at $30/car .... :rolleyes2:

I hate it.
Try telling that to a customer when the service manager is 10 ft away. My manager pushes it like mad and i turn around and tell the customer otherwise when he's not looking. Hes hell bent on it.
Whats even better is we nitro every used car and new car and i've never seen them tell the customer they can just remove the nitro and fill with air. Its always" and come back to us for a refill". :no:

silver charger read the last paragraph
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4302788.html

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts