Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm hoping someone can shine some light or speculation on what is going on with my 5.7L AWD 2013 Charger with a magnuson 8lbs supercharger kit with 57K miles. This long story started off with white smoke coming out of the exhaust after about 8 seconds on cold start only. This will last about 5 to 8 seconds of smoke depending on how long the car has been sitting. Dealership gave it back after a month and there was white smoke coming out like crazy with rough idle for a few minutes.

Other symptoms besides white smoke on cold startup:

Engine runs perfect to the eye except when sitting for a month from the gasket/head 'repair'.
Pressure builds up in the coolant reservoir when hitting the car hard on the revs. This will eventually burst out the reservoir cap if enough pressure build up.
While doing a block tester, I revved the engine and noticed a good amount of bubbles coming up inside tester, even though the blue did not turn yellow.
Coolant reservoir went down an inch over time
Never had an overheating problem - dead center temp on gauge always on warm engine

Things that have been 'checked':

Dealership went in thinking it was head gasket so replaced those and cleaned the heads due to a scratch during a magnaflux (returned negative). No major signs on gasket or heads.
All pistons have a really minor clean crescent mark (fuel or coolant could do this I believe) - see pictures
No milkshake on dipstick or oil cap
New thermostat
Coolant flush
Oil change
New tank of gas
Emptied out intercooler (not hooked up right now) in supercharger since its all one coolant system.
No external leaks besides pressure build up slight overflow
Pressure of 11lbs held overnight for coolant pressure test (reservoir)
Block test has not changed to yellow twice now (so no combustion gases 'in theory')
Spark plugs all look the same burnt and not 'cleaned' from coolant
No coolant in the intake manifold
Intake Manifold does not have a coolant passage, just 2 - I believe oil and pcv
Intercooler in supercharger held 50psi

Any other ideas to check? Does this sound like a cracked block? Is there any other parts to consider that would get coolant to go into the exhaust besides the infamous cracked head, head gasket, cracked block?
I'm considering rebuilding the whole engine with high horse performance for the supercharger support, but definitely $$$ decision here.

SUPER THANKS FOR READING! :beerchug:

Video: Cold startup - see exhaust has white smoke: https://photos.app.goo.gl/piTV1gjA4gshLok49
Video: shortly after cold startup from one month of not running and head gasket 'repair': https://photos.app.goo.gl/xj2ZjCtBVZq8Z22w7
Pictures: heads and top of block

Attachments

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Pressure builds up in the coolant reservoir when hitting the car hard on the revs. This will eventually burst out the reservoir cap if enough pressure build up.
Block test passed with no gasses and SC intercooler is connected to the main cooling system. Is there a crack in the SC that is allowing compressed air to flow into the intercooler (and main cooling system) and also suck coolant (vacuum effect) into the SC (that then pumps it into the cylinders)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion and good idea. Right now the intercooler is not hooked up to the coolant system. I also had it pressure tested up to 50 psi when the supercharger was apart and held the pressure given.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I guess it's back to the usual suspects (cracked head, head gasket, cracked block).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts