Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time on Saturday, I saw a very fine white mist coming out of the center console A/C vents. Has anyone saw that before ?

Outside temp was about 28C/82F, but very humid. I have the dual-zone A/C, which had been set to Auto-Hi for approx 2 hours of highway driving prior to.

When this happened, It seemed as if the ventilation fan was unable to go to max speed, even when trying to set it manually. It happened twice in a row, but has not happened since. Everything ran fine on our way back later the same afternoon.

Coincidence ? On Friday PM I installed the U-Connect kit from MPSC, including the Jet Harness. Installation went very smoothly and everything runs fine. I do not believe the Jet Harness messes with any A/C controls. I also tried to make sure my harness routing would not interfere with anything on its path.

...Ben...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would guess it is just condensation... I have seen this on many of my cars. More than likely when you last stopped the car condensation built up in the pathways for the air and on the next startup it causes the mist.

In some cases on the Caravan it has a slightly moldy smell if the car has been sitting a day or two.

In theory I think there are supposed to be drains in the ducts for this sort of thing but they often become clogged.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would guess it is just condensation... I have seen this on many of my cars. More than likely when you last stopped the car condensation built up in the pathways for the air and on the next startup it causes the mist.

In some cases on the Caravan it has a slightly moldy smell if the car has been sitting a day or two.

In theory I think there are supposed to be drains in the ducts for this sort of thing but they often become clogged.

Accumulation is a bit unlikely, as it happened on the highway, at approx 1h 45min into a 2 hour trip, not at startup.

The other strange symptom is the fact that I could not get the fan to max speed when this happened.

...Ben...

·
Registered
182 Posts
any strange odors? Probably the mod your ride drug Dodge has implanted in the duct work.:smoke:
Seriously though I would have it looked at. I asked about odors but not sure if freon would have a odor.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I don't know about the fan speed, but the fog coming from the vents happens when humidity is high and the vapor rapidily condenses.
I have seen it happen before.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
any strange odors? ....
Nothing beside my daughter's diaper. :sick:

If it was freon, it did not leak until empty as I would expect: the A/C still works fine 2 days after.

...mmmm....

...Ben...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know about the fan speed, but the fog coming from the vents happens when humidity is high and the vapor rapidily condenses.
I also tend to think that the mist is condensed humidity.

The one thing that bugs me is the "coincidence" with the fan control. I will double-check my fan control connections, which I had to disconnect during the JetHarness installation. I know I had a positive click when I reconnected them (one of these thing you look for when you reassemble things), but who knows...

Thanks everyone. I will post again if I find anything or if it happens again.

...Ben...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's my theory:

high humidity level caused frost to accumulate on the A/C evaporator over time (1h 45min).

White mist was caused by high humidity level condensing.

Low fan output caused by frost buildup, clogging the radiator.

Frost melted while car was parked and frost buildup conditions were not reproduced after.

Plausible ?

I will start an other thread to gather other owners feedback.

...Ben...

·
Registered
885 Posts
Nothing beside my daughter's diaper. :sick:

If it was freon, it did not leak until empty as I would expect: the A/C still works fine 2 days after.

...mmmm....

...Ben...
Cars don't use freon anymore.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Ding! :)

It's nothing to worry about. It's your A/C lowering the air temperature below the dew point for that particular air and causing moisture to instantly condense. Chances are that if you switch to recirc it will go away in a couple of minutes as the A/C system gradually dehumidifies your cabin air.

Best,

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Cars don't use freon anymore.
While that is technically correct (they use R134a now), I think you knew what the guy was trying to say. R134a has a fairly distinct smell to it, especially when mixed with refrigerant oil. I'm reasonably sure he's not leaking refrigerant if the A/C is continuing to function. A leak big enough to create "fog" would deplete the system in pretty short order.

Best,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts