Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been discussed ad nauseum, but I'm wondering if there's a low beam bulb that looks "whiter" than the stock "orange" looking bulbs for my '06 R/T.

Not interested in HID kits, removing the front end, converters, stripping wires, etc., etc. :rolleyes2:

Wondering if I can improve the look with a better bulb that fits into the stock set up. Any suggestions? :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
try the sylvania silverstar

I had them in my car before i changed to the oem projector headlights.

much whiter but not really white

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Player 87, I hear a lot about those lights...I think I'll check them out! Thanks!

try the sylvania silverstar

I had them in my car before i changed to the oem projector headlights.

much whiter but not really white

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I know this has probably been discussed ad nauseum, but I'm wondering if there's a low beam bulb that looks "whiter" than the stock "orange" looking bulbs for my '06 R/T.

Not interested in HID kits, removing the front end, converters, stripping wires, etc., etc. :rolleyes2:

Wondering if I can improve the look with a better bulb that fits into the stock set up. Any suggestions? :D
Silverstar Ultra is the best you'll get without switching to HID's. I searched A LOT for an alternative, because I didn't want HID's either. Unfortunately they don't make a Silverstar Ultra for the 2010, so I was kinda forced to convert or deal with stock lights.
I'm not sure about the '06, but in my '10 I just plugged in an error code eliminator, a ballast, and a bulb, then adjusted the aim. Conversion complete. No need to strip/splice any wires. I'm sure some of the '06 owners can tell you if that works for yours too.

With stock bulbs, and LED fog lights:

With HID conversion:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shots, thanks for the reply. The HID Fogs really set off your front end. I'd like that set up eventually...that or yellow fogs with the HID low beams.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Yeah the silverstars are the way to go, you can also mod a high beam bulb to fit the low beam hole for a little brighter bulb. A low beam bulb has a silver tip on it and the HB's are clear bulbs all the way. I have had the modded high beams in for 3+ years with no issue's and they don't blind the other cars coming your way.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Shots, thanks for the reply. The HID Fogs really set off your front end. I'd like that set up eventually...that or yellow fogs with the HID low beams.
Thanks. Here's a shot of HID lows, and yellow fogs, per Gunder Armour.

You can get the white fogs pretty cheap if you buy LED instead of HID's. They can be found on ebay for $40. Of course they're not nearly as bright as HID's (or even stock bulbs for that matter). LED fogs are more of an appearance item.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Regardless of light type (HID vs halogen) youre looking for the temperature of the light. 5000k is typically as close to white as you can get. AAC, one of the site sponsors, has a nice 5000K bulb.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Yes good point. The color temperature is what you're looking for, not necessarily the lumen output. The SilverStar Ultra is 4100K, which is the whitest halogen bulb on the market as far as I know. That's pretty close to white.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I would go with HIDs. You cant beat the look vs. price. DDM kits are plug and play and slim ballasts take little time to install with Velcro. I waited a while before I did mine cause I thought the front end had to come off but it doesn't. I can take pics of my install if you want.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would go with HIDs. You cant beat the look vs. price. DDM kits are plug and play and slim ballasts take little time to install with Velcro. I waited a while before I did mine cause I thought the front end had to come off but it doesn't. I can take pics of my install if you want.
I'm pretty sure the way this is going to work is that I will get a whiter looking bulb...like it...then start getting that nagging feeling to do a real HID conversion :confused:...then eventually go that route.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I was in the same boat. Was looking at the AAC HOD but pulled the trigger on HIDs since cost was close to the same thing.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I have run both the silverstars and now the AAC HODs and love the HODs- definitely has delayed my need for HIDs ;the HODs are much brighter and whiter than the silverstars :rocker:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have run both the silverstars and now the AAC HODs and love the HODs- definitely has delayed my need for HIDs ;the HODs are much brighter and whiter than the silverstars :rocker:
Desert...poked around the form and interwebs...HOD's look great! Thanks for the tip...they look like the solution I need. :beerchug: How is the lifespan of the bulbs so far?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Desert...poked around the form and interwebs...HOD's look great! Thanks for the tip...they look like the solution I need. :beerchug: How is the lifespan of the bulbs so far?
They are holding up well so far- installed in Jan 2011 and now it's August with no issues- that's about 17,000 miles worth of driving:beerchug:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Heh, yeah, I run 5k lows, and installing 3K fogs soon too. No more halogen! ;)

Shots, what temp. did you buy for your lows and fogs?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heh, yeah, I run 5k lows, and installing 3K fogs soon too. No more halogen! ;)

Shots, what temp. did you buy for your lows and fogs?

Ran, Gunder, Shots - a lot of posts and info on here and other forums are hella old...and some of the info may be outdated...I remember reading that normal HID bulbs don;t fit in the standard housing on the 1st gen chargers...did you guys have to change more than the bulbs and the wiring to make the HID's work?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts