Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just did some claying for my first time. I bought clay from Adams but also had a small bar from a Meguiars kit. The Meguiars clay was white and the Adams clay is grey. I found the white much easier to see any dirt in the clay.
Junkman says all clay is made by the same manufacturer, but I wonder, if all the clay is made by the same manufacturer, why is one grey and one white? I also read one post that said Meguiars is a little softer. The Adams clay seemed more gooey and sticky as compared to the Meguiars. Maybe just fresher since my Meguiars kit was a year old?
If Meguiars is okay stuff, then I am going that route from now on.
Any thoughts from anyone about where to get clay or what type they prefer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know clay is made in Japan and USA. Clay is not the same. They have different elasticity and available in different grades: mild, medium, heavy. The typical consumer clay is in the mild category. I prefer the more elastic clays. The mild clays work about the same. Mothers has their clay tinted yellow gold.

The patent has expired so everyone is stocking new clays such as Adams.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
I just did some claying for my first time. I bought clay from Adams but also had a small bar from a Meguiars kit. The Meguiars clay was white and the Adams clay is grey. I found the white much easier to see any dirt in the clay.
Junkman says all clay is made by the same manufacturer, but I wonder, if all the clay is made by the same manufacturer, why is one grey and one white? I also read one post that said Meguiars is a little softer. The Adams clay seemed more gooey and sticky as compared to the Meguiars. Maybe just fresher since my Meguiars kit was a year old?
If Meguiars is okay stuff, then I am going that route from now on.
Any thoughts from anyone about where to get clay or what type they prefer?
The Mopar CAI is made by AEM but look different. Different companies require different colors and such regardless if it's from the same manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
That explains it. Must have been an older junkman video I was watching.

Still wondering... anyone have recommendations about where to get clay or what type/brand they prefer?
It really doesn't matter, clay bar is clay bar. I just get mine at the auto parts and on the occasion Adams.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It really doesn't matter, clay bar is clay bar...
I don't see that. Meguiars is more like modeling clay. It is white and easy to see the dirt in it. The clay I got from Adams is sticky like chewing gum. I can't even hold it in my hand without also spraying my palm with detailer spray. The gray color isn't that much different than some of the dirt I pick up in the Meguiars. Some clay is a polymer compound but I can't tell if everyone identifies it as that.
So far I am liking the Meguiars best but it is expensive because the only way to buy it is in a kit with their spray which I don't like nearly as well as the Adam's. I found some really cheap Chinese clay on the Internet but it had bad reviews. I'm not looking for the cheapest, just some recommendations on what everyone else is using. Thanks for the Adam's nod.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Try the Clay Magic. It is usually available at auto parts stores. IME, it works as well as any other clay I have used. You want the mild (blue in color) version.

GTO_04

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
I don't see that. Meguiars is more like modeling clay. It is white and easy to see the dirt in it. The clay I got from Adams is sticky like chewing gum. I can't even hold it in my hand without also spraying my palm with detailer spray. The gray color isn't that much different than some of the dirt I pick up in the Meguiars. Some clay is a polymer compound but I can't tell if everyone identifies it as that.
So far I am liking the Meguiars best but it is expensive because the only way to buy it is in a kit with their spray which I don't like nearly as well as the Adam's. I found some really cheap Chinese clay on the Internet but it had bad reviews. I'm not looking for the cheapest, just some recommendations on what everyone else is using. Thanks for the Adam's nod.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I hear ya, it sucks that they don't just sell clay bar at auto stores. It's like once you use this stuff it's done so why not have stock of just the clay?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Meguiars and Mothers OTC clay kits are good kits. I like the Megs white clay and it is very easy to use. All clay is not the same, clay comes in mild, med, and aggressive variations and like you have found out have different textures.

I use to buy Adams products, but no longer use them, as I have found products that are less expensive with equal or greater performance.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Meguiars and Mothers OTC clay kits are good kits. I like the Megs white clay and it is very easy to use. All clay is not the same, clay comes in mild, med, and aggressive variations and like you have found out have different textures.

I use to buy Adams products, but no longer use them, as I have found products that are less expensive with equal or greater performance.
Didn't realize there were different grades, that's new to me! Thanks for the head's up.

So what are the less expensive brands that you were using? Honestly buying a kit blows because I have a surplus of detailer spray now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Didn't realize there were different grades, that's new to me! Thanks for the head's up.

So what are the less expensive brands that you were using? Honestly buying a kit blows because I have a surplus of detailer spray now.
These are most of the brands and lines I currently use:

Meguiars Ultimate Line-great OTC products
Meguiars Detailer Line - almost entire line
Meguairs Professional Line - compounds polish pads

Durgaloss Line -entire line is excellent

Sonax - wheel cleaner, sealant and detail spray
Optimum compounds, polish, spray wax, opticoat
Chemical Guys soaps and waxes
3D/HD Care Care compounds, polish, sealants
Menzerna compounds, polish
Ultima interior sealant, exterior trim sealant, interior shampoo

I use clay alternatives like nanoskin wash mitt and speedy prep towel. When I use clay I use Megs white (buy 3 at a time without kit) or Uber Yellow Clay.
MF Towels I carry my own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts