Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed that that 2012 SE makes this whistling noise when I start the vehicle up on a very cold day. Its not very loud (definitely noticeable) and only lasts for a few seconds. Seems to be 15 degrees or lower that it happens. It didnt happen last winter so just wondering if it is something anyone else has run into or knows what may be the cause. Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Sounds like the active intake position settings. Perfectly normal to whistle a bit until the vacuum pressure can pull it into the new position (the dampers have to move). When you shut it off, it's hot. When you start, it's cold and requires a new position for the runners. When it's extremely cold it takes a few seconds longer for it to reset to the cold position. As the vehicle ages, the ability of the dampers to move slows a bit due to normal dirt build-up which is why you might not have noticed it when it was new.

Unless it continues after initial warm up, I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like the active intake position settings. Perfectly normal to whistle a bit until the vacuum pressure can pull it into the new position (the dampers have to move). When you shut it off, it's hot. When you start, it's cold and requires a new position for the runners. When it's extremely cold it takes a few seconds longer for it to reset to the cold position. As the vehicle ages, the ability of the dampers to move slows a bit due to normal dirt build-up which is why you might not have noticed it when it was new.

Unless it continues after initial warm up, I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.
Thanks!!! :beerchug:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2013 Charger SE.....temps in Boston have been awful this winter....and when the temp is in the single numbers....the whistling occurs....but as noted goes away in a few seconds....it doesn't do it after that after the initial start up. I only have 2700 miles on the Charger......thanks for the comments...I was getting concerned. Thank you also Ddaddy for the information.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Glad to help folks. :beerchug:

Enjoy the ride...:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Started my baby errrr my Charger up this morning, and no whistling. The temp in Boston was a balmy 20....like a heat wave. Yesterday it was -4.....so only when it is like the Arctic is there a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts