Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe this question, of What makes a whistling sound has been mentioned before..."Tighten the intake manifold bolts" was the quick response...and correct one..
But...How many times must that be done? My car has only 6200mi ,..and Whistles only at highway, steady, speed...I re-tightened the intake bolts 2 mo ago...and the whistle stopped...then last month, perhaps 700 mi later, it slowly returned..
Rechecking the bolts yesterday, they were only snug...so I re-tightened again...no specific torque measure....maybe 1/8 - 1/4 turn Re-tested today for whistle...Great, it's gone ! But...Does anyone know if it's due to bolts re-loosening or the gasket shrinking, manifold warping, OR ? I'm planning on probably taking it to the Dealer when it re-occurs...But, If I recall, the Service Mgr stated they "do not" verify customer complaint about problems that happen only at hwy speeds ! .Which mine is...Damn if i can hear it at idle, or raising RPM while standing , watching underhood....I would have thought a leaky intake should always make the whistle...Any help is appreciated...especially how to explain this to dealer ! Wonder if I should I even mention that I have been re-torquing the bolts, to prove to myself it is the fix... Damn tiny bolts that they are..! Don'y want to void the warranty...

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
OG:
Do you see any signs of oil leakage where the manifold sit on the engine? If so, they should replace the gaskets. I would be careful snugging, as you don't want to crack anything or snap one off.

Don

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I,m reluctant to write this down but I would check with the service department and see if their service manual requires Mopar Lock & Seal Adhesive on intake hardware they reuse. Essentially every time the intake bolts back out and you re-etorque them its no different than reusing them. Or you can buy new intake bolts and see if those hold better.

Also check the throttle body bolts, and hose on the catch can if you have one.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off, I do not see any tell tale of oil leak...N8ECH
Can I get the intake bolts replaced or lock/seal under warranty? I don't think they'll take the car in if its not displaying any codes , and failing to whistle during their "in shop evaluation"...Wonder if this whistling has a TBS...Guess you're saying, "I should be the mechanic", and seal or replace the bolts myself...At 75 yrs old, I'm not good at bending over the fenders much these days...But Thnx for the info...

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
OG:
Agreed that you should not have to worry about such things at 75. Being an '18 with a little over 6K miles, you have plenty of warranty left. I would wait until the noise appears again, and then get back to the dealer. If for some silly reason, they won't take it out on the highway, ask them to ride and observe/listen while you drive.

Don

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don
Thnx I suppose I could loosen the bolts 1/8- 1/4 turn and the whistle would be back...I [think] the reason the dealer won't troubleshoot complaints [only[] at hwy speeds is that, here, in central NJ...the roads are congested all day...Mechanics would have to spend some extra time to drive to sections where a steady 50 mph can be done...Time is the concern, not whether I'm driving or they are..or so I assume...

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Curious...as to why ONEZ ST was reluctant to write his post....? I have made my appointment for this problem at Dealer for Friday, 2/21 ..I'm hoping to print these replies and bring with...Hopefully to get the service writer to allow shop time, the tech to check the manifold, even thou they will be unable to hear any whistle in the shop..! Also, I now see puddling of oil atop the manifold, drivers side...and, of course it is near the oil fill, but no oil has ever been added, and it was dry months ago when oil was changed...[Dunno how i can convince them thou]...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The reason why i was reluctant is because the mention of a lock and seal adhesive could conjure up thoughts of loctite.

I once recommended use of Blue threadlocker to someone on another forum and they used Red.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The photo sort of looks like a fel-pro material.

Red loctite is bright red and is like welding a fastener in place. It can be extremely difficult to remove hardware installed with the Red stuff.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Curious...as to why ONEZ ST was reluctant to write his post....? I have made my appointment for this problem at Dealer for Friday, 2/21 ..I'm hoping to print these replies and bring with...Hopefully to get the service writer to allow shop time, the tech to check the manifold, even thou they will be unable to hear any whistle in the shop..! Also, I now see puddling of oil atop the manifold, drivers side...and, of course it is near the oil fill, but no oil has ever been added, and it was dry months ago when oil was changed...[Dunno how i can convince them thou]...
Hi Ol*Geezer2018, We sincerely regret to hear of your trouble. If it would be of interest, we'd be happy to add additional support while in service. Feel free to follow up with us via private message if this would be of interest.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well...I had the Charger in at :)30 this am..for the whistling sounds at hwy speed and ref to the loosened intake bolts....9:50 car was returned...Tech said all intake manifold bolts were at proper torgue [9.5 in/lb]....No problem found...Here's your key..No mention that tech may have saw the puddle of oil on top of manifold either...[was my fault to have forgotten to mention it]...But would have been obvious when he was checking the torque...
Funny...cause I "nilly willy loosened all the bolts last night, just to be sure they didn't find them too tight...No torque wrench...and somehow I happened to hit the mark at 9.5 in/lb..Sure..!
..Sooo., I merely drove it home back in garage...It will whistle, I'm sure, next time on Hwy at 50mph...my driving..not theirs , they do not test drive at hwy speeds..Hence, no such problems can exist. !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts