Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Weird, but I drove to Houston this Thursday, car averaged 23.2 miles per gallon. I was at 4K on my first oil change, so I decided to wait until I got back to Fort Worth to upgrade to Mobil 1. Anyway, last night when I got home and shut the car off, there was a lengthy whistle (~ 4-5 seconds) coming from somewhere. Today, I took the car for an oil change, and on the way home the car shut off making a right hand turn at low speed (~ 10 mph) and when I got her in the garage, the dang whistle was there again.

Any frickin ideas?

I have read about the shutoff - anything from drive by wire, to lifters, to transmission. But what the heck is this whistle?

I'll try to get an audio recording.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Still whistling. Not under the hood either. Must be coming from underneath. Too low to get under without jacking it, and I dont have jackstands. I checked all of the fluids, and they are within operating limits. The car isnt hot. The fact that no one has responded has me feeling a little insecure. Should I even drive it?

Seriously, no one has any ideas?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I wonder if it is sucking air somehow into the evap or fuel system. It also could be a small vacuum leak in the HVAC system but not sure. Try this: Drive the car for a short trip, say, around the block. See if the whistle is there. Also try the same short trip with all a/c and heating off. If it is gone with no a/c, the whistle might be in the dash. Not sure how the louvre control is set up in the lx's but some vehicles use vacuum to manuever the louvres.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tks for the idea TBY - Hows Vegas?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
is it an air whistle or more like a bearing from the water pump, oil pump, etc...?

where is the whistle coming from?
Can you open the hood and have someone else shut the car off so you can get ears in the engine bay?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
74 today! Perfect mod weather. Wish I had the parts to do the modding, but hey... lol
Any luck on finding that sound?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
is it an air whistle or more like a bearing from the water pump, oil pump, etc...?

where is the whistle coming from?
Can you open the hood and have someone else shut the car off so you can get ears in the engine bay?
He stated it does this when the engine if off. So no bearings......

I would assume something like this could be a AC issue, as it sounds like a bleed down leak after shut down.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it happens with either the AC on or the AC off. At the shop today, so we'll see what Dodge says.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The whistle is coming from under the car, not the engine compartment. You guys are freaking me out with no ideas. Where is RITZ/Hemi/Arfur when you need them?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wonder if a vacuum is forming in your fuel tank. If the vacuum is strong enough, it might cut off some of the fuel being pumped to your engine, causing it to stall. I've heard fuel tanks pop back into shape (like a beer can) after the engine is shut down.

Wait - how about replacing the fuel filter? Maybe it's full of water.

Just an FYI - if so, your fuel pump may been under considerable strain and may go next after the filter has been replaced.

A wild guess. Good luck.

I'm not trying to scare you, I'm trying to give you options.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
i have it as well. it almost sounds like a small turbo blow off valve purging when you turn off the car. ill bet a lot of people have it, they just dont turn off the car with their door open.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well here's what it was.

The PCV valve was stuck partially closed. I also had a small vacuum leak that could have contributed to the PCV malfunctioning.

Warranty Part so it was fixed for free.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts