Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not exactly car savvy so you'll have to bare with me a bit. I started getting this loud whirring sound coming from what I believe to be the front right wheel. I assumed it was the wheel hub/bearing and when I took it to a mechanic to get something else done he commented that's exactly what it was without me even mentioning it to him. I purchased a replacement and just installed it today myself. Unfortunately, the sound hasn't changed at all.

The sound increases its pitch the faster I go and is a constant droning sound. There is no change when I turn the wheels left or right. Dropping the car into neutral while driving causes no change to the sound. There's also no vibrations felt in the steering at all. People who have sat in the passenger seat usually hear it on the right as well, but I had my father listening to it and he couldnt tell if it was to the right or actually in the middle. Brakes and rotors were replaced 3 months ago. Anyone experience anything like this or have any ideas? I appreciate it.

2007 Dodge Charger R/T AWD 5.7L Hemi

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
wheel bearings does it get better when braking? or braking while turning one direction over the other?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does get better when braking, but I think thats a function of the fact the vehicle is slowing down. The sound is tied to the speed of the vehicle and not the speed of the engine btw. As far as braking and turning, that's not something I checked. I'll have to try that out later and get back to you.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
It does get better when braking, but I think thats a function of the fact the vehicle is slowing down. The sound is tied to the speed of the vehicle and not the speed of the engine btw. As far as braking and turning, that's not something I checked. I'll have to try that out later and get back to you.
It only makes sense that it's a wheel bearing, but you replaced that already. I would replace both sides. The right front usually goes first, but the left side will soon follow (it may even be what's making the noise).

The only other thing I've had make a vibration/drone is a loose wheel.

Just to rule out the brakes, you can pry the pads away from the rotor and go test drive. This assumes you can get out on a road without hitting your brakes. If not, drive very slow, downshift manually to slow the car, and use your emergency brake to stop the car.

I have had a bad tire make a similar sound as to what you are describing. If the tread is starting to seperate it will make a weird noise, but that is always accompanied by a severe vibration (tire becomes way out of balance). If that is the case, you are close to having a blow out.

What tires do you have and how many miles are on them? Especially if you have Firestone or Bridgestone tires I would be checking them for possible failure.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Have you checked the plastic wheel wells or plastic underbelly? They could be rubbing against the ground or wheels.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
My car is at the shop for this right now, and they are replacing the front right wheel hub/bearings. I have replaced these before, but they insisted this was the problem, so we will see.

·
Premium Member
8,796 Posts
AWD..IDK much about the CV joints on these, any chance it's that?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts