Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking at getting a torque convertor upgrade, but im stuck on deciding whether to go with APS Precision or pro torque. can u guys plz help me out here, on which one would u guys go with from experience and company history.

im also thinking of going with a 3000 stall other than 2800 just because i want to get into the powerbands sweet spot even harder. i would appreciate the input on that also. thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone home??? help would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
You can't lose with ProTorque. That's what I run. Extremely durable. A fellow GTO owner has made well over 400 1/4 passes on a 2800 stall converter without a hitch.

You just have to make sure that your HAL computer can cope. It's not an issue with GM's but I don't recommend anything above 3000 stall unless your tuning can compensate.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im going with 3000 precision i think . thanks

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
The Pro Torque 2800 is great. I have it in mine and know of several others that have it in theirs. You can stall it higher as you add more HP.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I am also undecided on which torque convertor to go with? I just don't want to go with a real high stall and have regular driving issues. I do alot of stop and go driving. Anyone make a 2500 stall? Or am I better off just getting a flashed performance TCM that some vendors sell?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
The pro torque 2800 is very daily driver friendly. Thats the main reason why I chose it.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Cant wait to hear how it helps your ET :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so are u guys saying that 3000 stall is too high ? wouldnt the 3000 stall put u right into the powerband better than 2800? my car is not daily either also

·
Registered
676 Posts
You might run into having to re-program the TCM or something, but don't quote me on that. Plus you could possibly have to upgrade the cooling system for your tranny going at 3000 stall or higher, but again don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
3000 is fine, my 2800 will stall to 3000 rpm if I really mash the breaks. Its actually perfect in my mind. You are getting those annoying high revving situations driving around town but if you really want it to stall at the track, life is good :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks alot brothers for all the help

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i just ordered precision viper 3000 stall torque converter .. damn i cant waitttttttt :) yessssssssss
man im going to stomp the **** outta my car when i install that and leave a half a block burnout. man i miss that dumping the clutch feeling. im so excited

·
Registered
223 Posts
I hope you also ordered a B & M tranny cooler. Otherwise you significantly reduce the life of your tranny once the converter is installed due to the extra heat generated when the converter is unlocked.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope you also ordered a B & M tranny cooler. Otherwise you significantly reduce the life of your tranny once the converter is installed due to the extra heat generated when the converter is unlocked.
thanks for the advice, but i haven't heard of one guy here put that on their charger after the TC mod. is that something that everyone should do? or could it be that out tranny's can handle some abuse? i would appreciate the input guys...

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I put a tranny cooler on mine. Its cheap insurance, around $100. One of my buds did not put one on his after the converter and the temps are actually pretty much the same. Id do it, cant hurt :)

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
dude i love your display name! thats awesome

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I put a tranny cooler on mine. Its cheap insurance, around $100. One of my buds did not put one on his after the converter and the temps are actually pretty much the same. Id do it, cant hurt :)
im definatly going to put one on now. whats a hundred more knowing my baby will be more safe :) thanks guys .

and by the way G T WHOA i caught that till someone mentioned it. thats funny bro good ****.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.