Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought the Borla 125's and now I need my K&N CAI. There are two models that I see on the K&N site. They are the following:

1. K&N Product Information for 69-2526TP: 69 Series Typhoon Kit
2. K&N Product Information for 57-1542: 57 Series FIPK

The typhoon says that it can get a 12.8 HP gain and the FIPK says that it gets a 21.09 HP gain. Which one have people bought and why would I not go with the higher HP gain?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I may be wrong but the higher hp may mean a no go at emissions, (it is race purpose only filter). I have it and love it, if I run into emission issues, I will just throw on the stock one again, only takes 5 min.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
the typhoon is a under hood filter short tube set up. The fipk normally have a box or put the filter in wheel well for less heat to get to it. Thats why you get more ponies and they cost more. You'll be fine on emissions.
I'd love to talk you out of k and n though. There are so many better companies imo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do the kits with the higher HP usually come with the boxes to set it up on the inside?

I am not totally set on K&N, but I do know a few Harley guys that swear buy them and the increase in HP is decent.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I have a K&N and I like it just fine.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I went with the aFe stage 2 CAI. 'majority' of hemi owners have bought one over other brands. got it from a supporting vendor during their last sale. it was as cheap or less than the K&N CAIs. their current sale is here http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51833

And most people say that you will get little HP bump with any CAI, dont believe the marketing numbers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at the installation instructions for the aFe stage 2 CAI and there were at least 2 spelling errors and the instructions were not very complete. I also went to the K&N site and reviewed their instructions. These were very detailed, well done, and there are many attachement locations of support for the system. I saw a thread where the AFE was only bolted in one location and was hitting the wheel well where a piee of gasket would have to be installed to protect the paint. So at this time, I am really leaning towards the K&N.

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
I have had both....and several others...AFE Stage 2 hands down the best I have tried....I dont know about the mispellings or detail instructions...I have installed so many I can look at the parts and know what to do...the K&N is ok but I will never buy one again...

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
The afe destructions are crap but we're men. How many of us look at those anyway. The afe comes with a 7 inch outlet on the tube i can walk around with the things on my arm. (and i do). The afe is a monster size wise which is why it has some rubbing issues. However the k and n is smaller and wont rub, If you want horse power i think you'll get more out of the aem after other major mods , then you will from the more restrictive k and n. yea it rubs but it doesnt take any genius to tweak the stuff to make it work fine.
K and n filtration is the worst on the market in the history of me working on cars i can tell you the dirtiest intakes and throttle bodies i've ever seen have been on k and n equipped cars. Some of the other manufactures use a better filter without hurting hp to much

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
The engine is only capable of pulling in so much air any given moment and any of the CAI's are more than capable of providing as much air as the throttle body will allow to pass. That said, I'm sure that there may be some differences in the quality of filtration and can't argue that point. But in terms of HP, the differences aren't worth a thing in real world performance. One of the vendors claims the record for a quarter mile run in a natrually aspirated engine and I think the CAI used there was just a MOPAR branded intake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.