Charger Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know i want flowmaster mufflers but i'm having a hard time deciding on the tips. Do larger tips promote a deeper sound? I know its been stressed that our V6 will never sound as good as a hemi but i'm trying to get pretty darn close. Or does it have something to do with the piping whether it be single in dual out or true duals? I just don't want to sound like a honda with a big exhaust. This lady at my job used to have a 2005 or 2006 V6 mustang with some crazy exhaust had to be 4" in diameter. Sounded as good as a V8. Also if you guys can post pics of your exhaust tips it would be great!

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
Pick what ones look the best....there all the same IMO.

·
Registered
9,057 Posts

·
Registered
9,859 Posts

·
Registered
9,057 Posts
Hey Red-- your's sounds pretty good too! :bigthumb: :rocker:

Our V6's seem to have a naturally deep sound to them. I've listened to a lot of videos, and I've never heard one of ours sound "ricey". :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey Red-- your's sounds pretty good too! :bigthumb: :rocker:

Our V6's seem to have a naturally deep sound to them. I've listened to a lot of videos, and I've never heard one of ours sound "ricey". :D
Hey Ron thanks for the compliments, yours sounds good too, thats right ive never a ricey charger lol

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
tips arent a major determinant on sound deepness.

if the tips arent resonated, then they are just there for looks mainly.

if they ARE resonated (aka usually perforated holes and most times some packing material in them) its to cut down on high rpm rasp and reduce drone.

the entire exhaust setup (mainly the mufflers) have the largest determinant on sound deepness and quality.

as an example, ron380 above stated he removed the resonators (which are nothing more than smaller than normal sized mufflers- so basically they are still mufflers) from the R/T exhaust and replaced them with resonated tips... he stated he still has drone through a certain rpm range... the drone naturally is caused from the removal of the resonators/mufflers under the rear bumper, and the resonated tips do not absorb enough exhaust noise to reduce the drone through the rpms stated. resonated tips affect the exhaust deepness and tone very VERY slightly. if they are just solid walled tips theres nothing there to absorb or cancel out sound.... (note-if you dont want drone, run some straight through smaller mufflers at the rear;) )

so logically from that, tips are NOT a large sound determinant. its basically do you want small round ones, large round ones, or maybe a retangular medium size ones.... its almost like selecting your choice in areolas on boobs....

with either its not really going to make much a difference.

also a tip on exhaust.... noise vs bass. same as audio in a car, bass is towards the lower end of the sound spectrum. like a speaker, when you want more bass out of it.... what do you do....reduce the amount of mids and highs that come out of the speaker right? exhaust pretty much works the same. if you want just a loud-a-lot-of noise exhaust, let as much of the sound come through. if you want more bass, use mufflers that take out more of the higher pitched tones.

bass also increases as the volume it turned up, right? total output volume of the engine will also be a determinant of how loud even the bass will be in the exhaust. stand behind a SXT, an RT, and SRT8 and start em up..... as long as you arent tone deaf, you can hear the bigger the engine output, the deeper the sound will be.

you can only get so loud and deep with a v6. v8's are naturally louder and deeper due to more sound output overall (they intake more air and gas and displace more exhaust gases), same will go for a v10 as long as it has a decent stroke.

just some things to think about in doing your exhaust. a v6 will rarely ever sound like a v8 any more than putting a ferrari muffler on a charger will make it sound like a ferrari.;)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i like the look of the 4" tips but i don't want resos on my flows. So they're basically for show?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I like my zoomers

Attachments

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Well i like the look of the 4" tips but i don't want resos on my flows. So they're basically for show?
pretty much. unless your tips have sound absorbing or cancelling chambers inside.....

and even if they do, most tips are no where near large enough to even come near the sound absorbing/cancelling properties as a resonator/smaller muffler would.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I have a set of 4" magnaflow SS tips available if you are interested....

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so i went to the shop where i was going to get my flows put on and they charging me $400+ for it. I know you guys getting them way cheaper.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Ok so i went to the shop where i was going to get my flows put on and they charging me $400+ for it. I know you guys getting them way cheaper.
are they including the pipe for that price, and if so is it aluminized or stainless.... and is it mandrel or crush/compression bent?

thats not bad in price, butttttttt you may be able to find something cheaper if you check alot of the local small shops...

if you feel comfy with this place, then go ahead, but dual exhaust on any car should only avg around 299$ especially if you are supplying the mufflers.

just some thoughts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts