Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking to buy a charger, but am tied down for money at the moment, I know next to nothing about cars/performance mods etc...help?

should I save for a while and get a 2006 R/T v8? for about $18,000
with the start off of 350 hp?

or go with the base model 2007 SE V6 2.7 Liter for about $14,000?
with the plans of using the extra cash I get to push performance?

what should I do and how should I do it? what limitations are there on each model, and what recommendations do you have?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
uhh to put it nicely, you are better off spending the extra money up front for the RT than spending the same amount trying to upgrade a 2.7, you will get no where close to the power of the RT. You could spend the $4k difference in upgrading the 2.7 and still not have as much power as the RT, the 2.7 (correct me if im wrong) comes with 190HP, the 5.7 RT R&T or Daytona has 350, a regular RT has 340....just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
18k is too high for an '06 R/T. You can do better then that.

Real question is, can I find some way to finance an SRT :)

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
Hello, I am looking to buy a charger, but am tied down for money at the moment, I know next to nothing about cars/performance mods etc...help?

should I save for a while and get a 2006 R/T v8? for about $18,000
with the start off of 350 hp?

what should I do and how should I do it? what limitations are there on each model, and what recommendations do you have?
Some of us have spent more than $4k looking for more performance even from a Hemi .... try to save up a little more and go for the bigger engine to start with ..... you'll soon hate the car if you get a 2.7 ..... unless you're REALLY not into performance .... :lol:

Then again, there is a middle choice ... the 3.5 makes decent power at 250 hp ... have you tried one of them yet ?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
if your going with a v6, it HAS to be a 3.5. I drove a Chrysler 300 Limited AWD with a 3.5 and it would of been sufficient for me if i had never driven a hemi.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Based on your post I get a vib that a 3.5 V6 should do you fine. Take the badges & moldings off for a clean stealthy look and go with some 20's or if you have to, some 22's. Focus mods on looks and comfort rather than performance.

The 2.7 is too small for this size car IMO and the Hemi is overkill based on what you said above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have only about 12000 to work with, but can push with financing to like 14000, i havent seen any R/T's under 18000...point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
513 Posts
if your going with a v6, it HAS to be a 3.5. I drove a Chrysler 300 Limited AWD with a 3.5 and it would of been sufficient for me if i had never driven a hemi.
I got my rt the same way! i was going for the 3.5 and just for fun i tryed the RT and I couldnt leave it there! Im SOOOOO glad I got the R/T

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I have only about 12000 to work with, but can push with financing to like 14000, i havent seen any R/T's under 18000...point me in the right direction?
Buy something else right now until you can afford what you want. Do not over extend your finances on a car. There's always a better deal out there. What exactly are you looking for out of the car?? You say you know little to nothing about cars and performance mods, but yet talk about buying a V6 and spending money to try and get it into V8 performance territory?? Sounds like you areally need to figure out what it is you want, before you buy something that you won't like.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Autotrader has R/T's starting at $13,600.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
if you don't have cash or a trade in to afford the V8. Save your money and wait for a V8 to come down to a good price/mileage you can afford. Don't waste all your money trying to modd a V6.

You'll be happier in the long run. Shop around.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Ebay search for completed listings showed 2006 R/T's (all daytona's btw) between 13k and 15k. Whole bunch of non sales with some people having stars in their eyes at 29,995 :)

Personally, unless I found that perfect deal, would wait until May 1st.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my '06 R/T in January for $14,700, with 40k miles, sunroof, immaculate condition, and 3,000 mi. bumper to bumper warranty. I was just patient - kept checking autotrader, cars.com, etc. daily. I waited til I saw the right deal, then I haggled another $800 off. The key is to not do anything rash. Just be patient.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Dont do a SE...I bought the 2.7 and not satisfied what so ever...RT's wasnt as cheap as they are like it is now. So if I was you search around for a cheaper RT because I am regreting it somewhat now.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts

If you really want a Charger, then wait and save for at LEAST a 3.5. Don't get the 2.7!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts