Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up fellows out there i was just curious on what to expect where we are on the food chain after our beasts get supercharged!! Havent really heard much feedback on anyone about how they did on times or on some action against cars that are supposed to own us stock so if you guys out here have some insight pleas enlighten me as i am considering a blower for my 07!!:rocker:

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
From what I have seen, if you are considering a blower you better do a complete build up or very low boost. I haven't heard from the big boost guys lately but some of them were well into the 11s - if they could find traction.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Once your into the 11s your competition ends up being 2 door cars or pullied E55s. A pullied E55 is a much easier way to go since it's already supercharged. Or a pullied, new, CTS-V. Tough question - what do you really want to know? Speed? Check out the timeslips on the LXforums - the trap speed will be lower than the 11sec coupes due to excessive weight.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
NickinFleet has a Vortech supercharger and when we went to the Dyno he put down 487 RWHP. From what i understand he has not bean beaten by anything as of yet.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Define competiton ?

As MCaeser has pointed out.. unless you forge your bottom and you stick a S/C on a stock engine well ... your severely limiting yourself and not really doing yourself a favor.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I love this build!

426 STROKER NA Arrington 90mmTB & Matched Stage II P&P Intake Manifold,Stroker Cam, DSS half shafts, Quaife, Richmond 3.55 geared, Kooks Longtube and FreeFlow Cats, BuilderBill's upgraded transmission Race valvebody & "Super Secret" TCM PI 3600
CMR Tuned By DynoTuned Performance (DTP)
516 RWHP | 520 RWTQ ALL MOTOR
Best ET 11.409 @ 117
Best 60' Ft 1.545
Fastest Trap Speed 1/4 @ 122.85 mph
This is the way to do it!

·
Registered
183 Posts
^
Throw a blower on it :D

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
A Stock SRT with a Vortech or Techco S/C 6-8 Lbs of boost will make around 500 to the tires with a safe tune. This will put you easily into the 11's assuming you have Drag Radials. I am running low 12's consistently with street tires, babying it out of the hole amnd still spinning past the 60 foot mark. With traction based on my Trap speeds (116-117) it will be in the 11's easily. This is all with the basic Vortech kit and no custom tuning. We ran a 5.7L Challenger into the 11's with the Techco S/C on 6 LBS of boost on Drag Radials.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
What kind of longevity are you seeing with lightly boosted SRTs? I have read about some reliability issues in the long term with engines falling apart.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
What kind of longevity are you seeing with lightly boosted SRTs? I have read about some reliability issues in the long term with engines falling apart.
We have the first production Vortech S/C kit on my daily driver SRT8 Charger. The system has been on a year now, and i drive the car daily as well as take it to the track. My car had 38,000 miles on it when we installed the unit, and now has 55,000 miles on it. I have had no mechanical issues to date, and have made several long trips in the car in addition to driving it daily.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Thanks. Does Vortech have a warranty or guarantee for parts and labor both to the SC and the engine if properly tuned by an authorized dealer?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ive had a long conversation with Techo, and they have done some long term durability tests (cross country trips) with no issues, but then again Ive heard of engines blowing. Id rather not leave my 86K mile 6.1 to chance even though Id love to put a blower on it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks. Does Vortech have a warranty or guarantee for parts and labor both to the SC and the engine if properly tuned by an authorized dealer?
I talked with BMC performance about this, and to my understanding there is a 12K mile engine warranty with VERY strict guidelines. The car still has to be covered under the original 36k mile warranty and the S/C warranty ends when you hit 36K miles or the 12K from them, whichever comes first.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
I talked with BMC performance about this, and to my understanding there is a 12K mile engine warranty with VERY strict guidelines. The car still has to be covered under the original 36k mile warranty and the S/C warranty ends when you hit 36K miles or the 12K from them, whichever comes first.
Yeah that scares me a little. The idea that some have blown up and the warranty isn't overly generous. NA while more invasive seems safer. I could be wrong though. Maybe opening an engine up and replacing all kinds of parts could be equally hazardous. I am by no means an expert and rely on al of you guys for my knowledge. (Heaven help me.) :D

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
We have the first production Vortech S/C kit on my daily driver SRT8 Charger. The system has been on a year now, and i drive the car daily as well as take it to the track. My car had 38,000 miles on it when we installed the unit, and now has 55,000 miles on it. I have had no mechanical issues to date, and have made several long trips in the car in addition to driving it daily.
I really want to put the Vortec S/C on my SRT but I am also worried about the longevity isssues espescially since I will have probably over 70K on her by the time I am ready to do it.

I also thought that I might wait until she had over 100K on her and do a complete rebuild (or 426 replacement) and add the blower to that. I suppose that if I put the blower on a 70K motor and smoke it, the blower might survive and I could always add it to the rebuilt or replacement engine.

I'm just torn...but I do so love the whine and HP of a supercharger!

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
If it's any consolation, I read BMW used to source high mileage 4cyl blocks from junkyards for their F1 turbo motors because they had gone through so many heat cycles that they were actually stronger and more reliable.

I'm sure they changed the rings though....

·
Registered
210 Posts
good info makes sense about the BMW blocks on the F1

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

Here is the deal...the actual head unit is warrantied for defects for 3 years/36k from the date of install. All periperal parts like brackets etc for 12 months.

However there is also an available drivetrain warranty...this is for 3 years/36,000 miles and covers the engine and trans up to 3000 for the motor and 2000 for the trans. Should there be any issues caused by the S/C. You need to run the tune that comes from Voretch and the standard 8 PSI pulley that comes from the kit. Also all work must be performed by a Top Tier Vortech installer, like BMCP

This is geared more for people who buy a brand new car and dont want to void the factory warranty...since it only apples from the in service date of the car.

Example:

You install the blower when you take delivery of the car...you have an option of a 3yr/36k drivetrain warranty from Vortech.

You install a blower after 1 year of ownership and 12,00 miles, you have an option of a drivetrain warranty that covers you the next 2 years and 24k miles and so on.

One other note...I installed the kit on my car when my car had 38,000 miles on the clock, and I now have 55k miles and have had no mechanical issues at all with the kit running the Vortech supplied tune.

Techco is also offering a similar warranty with their blowers for customers who have an authorized Techco installer like BMCP do the work. These are the only two blowers that offer this type of service.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts