Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a shimmy problem when I apply the brakes in my 08 RT. I am going to replace the front rotors (I believe I have the factor rotors on now with 25,000 miles). Will I also need to replace the rear rotors, or can I drive a while longer before the rears will need to be replaced? What are the signs that rear rotors will need to be replaced?

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Rears are unlikely to need replacement. Put new fronts on, and if there's still a prob, do the rears.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Replace rotors only when they are to thin to resurface unless you got money to throw around.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Replace rotors only when they are to thin to resurface unless you got money to throw around.
it costs almost as much to resurface as it does to buy new rotors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No money to throw around at my house, and I need a catch can bad. Much rather spend the money on a catch can rather than brakes, but saftey first. I was kind of thinking that the rear rotor held up longer. But without a doubt I know I need some on the front. I was looking at Brakeperformance for my replacments. Know anything good, bad, indifferent about them? Open to other suggestions too.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Replace the fronts and if you feel a pulse in the break pedal the rears need to be replace. Make sure you replace the front pads too.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
it costs almost as much to resurface as it does to buy new rotors.
no way. its 10 bucks to drop your rotors off at most parts places to turn them.

You need a brake micrometer to find out for sure which rotor is the issue but a resurface will also fix this problem and cost hundreds less. if you dont have a micrometer you have to go by feel. If you step on the pedal and you feel the vibration in the steering wheel and pedal then its the fronts, if you feel it in your as$ometer/butt/seat then its the rears.
Your right, the rears are less likely as the rear of the vehicle unloads (lifts) during hard braking and that forces the front to do about 70% of the braking.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
no way. its 10 bucks to drop your rotors off at most parts places to turn them.
My parts store of choice gave me much different numbers. I think it was 25 to turn, 40 for new, for the '03 focus.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
No money to throw around at my house, and I need a catch can bad. Much rather spend the money on a catch can rather than brakes, but saftey first. I was kind of thinking that the rear rotor held up longer. But without a doubt I know I need some on the front. I was looking at Brakeperformance for my replacments. Know anything good, bad, indifferent about them? Open to other suggestions too.
I have them on my nanner and love em!!

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
My parts store of choice gave me much different numbers. I think it was 25 to turn, 40 for new, for the '03 focus.
your right, car is everything. I've seen new for as low as 20 bucks and some for as much as 200. Ours are not normally near the 40 dollar range from what i've seen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts