Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm the proud new owner of an '07 Dodge Charger R/T with the Road and Track Performance Package, Option Package 29N and Power Sunroof . My question is: Are other owners of a similarly equipped cars able to lite them up from a stand still without power braking? Reason I ask is I traded an '05 GTO in on the Charger. The GTO would smoke the tires through second gear (auto) and lay a good 150 ft. of rubber off the line. I know the HEMI is 50hp less than the GTO but the torque is comparable (400 to our 390). I also understand the Charger is a little heavier (400 lbs.) than the GTO so that could also be a contributing factor. We have had tremendously hot/humid weather here in So Cal and I am not sure if the 5.7L HEMI is prone to heat soak. Regardless of the off the line difference, I LOVE this car. The luxury comforts: Navi, Uconnect, dual climate control, etc., are a definite step above the GTO. There is still more than enough power to get in trouble. Just curious about the off the line performance.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Congrats on the Charger!

You can smoke the tires easily if you push the "ESP Off" button and stomp on the gas. I don't know if it will light it up for 150ft but I'm sure it will lay some decent rubber on the ground.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the Charger!

You can smoke the tires easily if you push the "ESP Off" button and stomp on the gas. I don't know if it will light it up for 150ft but I'm sure it will lay some decent rubber on the ground.
Thanks man, I dig this car.

I am probably dealing with a heat soak issue. The Goat was prone as well. The couple of times I have tried it in the Charger were after a long drive in 95+ degree weather. I'm heading out early tomorrow morning so I'll give it a shot then.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I can spin the tires pretty easy from a stop. I actually wish that I had better traction. I can't believe how little the tires are on the charger having 390 tq. 225 mm width on the tire I believe. My parents mini van's tires are almost that wide. That is the only thing I don't like about the chargers. Big car with big engine, with little donuts for tires.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I lit 'em up pretty good this morning. I must have had heat soak when I tried before.

·
Registered
584 Posts
start out going down the road and when you are at around 10 mph or more turn the key again. Then watch as the beast turns on ESP BAS then light and roast them suckers all you want. It makes it feel like a totally different car and boy you need to be careful cause she could away from you fast.
Turn the key again? What does this mean?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
esp off is good and all but im takin mine down to a track to run in a about a month after hopefully i get the diablo that i preordered and my new exhuast but if i have esp off wont i burn out at take off and lose time on my run, just a newbie question?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
esp off is good and all but im takin mine down to a track to run in a about a month after hopefully i get the diablo that i preordered and my new exhuast but if i have esp off wont i burn out at take off and lose time on my run, just a newbie question?
You will gain time with ESP off. The reason why, is because when you have it on, as soon as your wheels start to break loose, esp will kill your RPM. If I were to launch with ESP on my car would go stop go stop go stop, till I finally get traction.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You will gain time with ESP off. The reason why, is because when you have it on, as soon as your wheels start to break loose, esp will kill your RPM. If I were to launch with ESP on my car would go stop go stop go stop, till I finally get traction.
Ok thanks for the advice, ill be sure to turn that off before i do my runs. One more question should i do the key turn instead of just hitting the esp button or does it not really matter on time, thanks for any input!

·
Registered
109 Posts
YEs do the key thing. It deleted the traction control rather than diminishing it. If yours is newer than a 04/07 then start driving, and while in gear turn your key to the start position and hold for a few secs.....Your esp and bas lights should come on and that is the only way to delete the esp completely without cutting wires etc, like alot of us did b4 this easter egg was found. And dont worry about turning the key while driving, there is no adverse effevt whatsoever due to some safety nets put in place by DCX.......Once you turn the cr off, it has been reset to normal driving with Traction control back on...GL

TB #3034 Flowmasters / Electric cut-outs / Brylcream Mod / Flashpaq SC 91 Perf / 180 therm / Viper Alarm / Clarion V765RX HU flip down DVD NAV MP3 / Tint / K&N CAI / Reversed Trunk Spacers / ESP Delete Mod / Custom painted engine cover / Waiting on Predator Diablo! Soon to come: Shaker Hood

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a real concern about turning the ignition key while driving because that just seems wrong. Any other opinions on this?
Randy

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
My TB is a dog. It will not lay rubber without a brake stand.
Sorry to hear it TBY! I've even heard of some SRT owners that cannot lay rubber without braking as well. others (like myself) have to watch takeoffs so as not to chirp inadvertantly....
Must be some inconsistancy in the chips!!!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
My wifes Daytona will not burn rubber.

Jay
From a stop, with ESP off, and a lot of gas, you shouldn't have a problem breaking the tires loose. When I first test drove a R/T, I came to a red light, and told the salesman that came along for the ride that I was going to punch it when the light turned green and he said "go for it". Light turned green, I floored and was expecting a chirp and was shocked when I sat there and burned some rubber.. I had never experienced anything like that in an automatic.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Try it in autostick!

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
My daytona doesnt want to burn rubber for nothing. Ive tried everything. Im lucky SOMETIMES to get a 1/4 of a second chirp in 1st gear (autostick), with the turnkey ESP disable. Im wondering if My HAL/ PCM / TCM is just not working right, or if the car is too new (2300 mi)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts