Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I saw similar posts on this topic, but not this exact question. I just picked up a 2018 Charger SRT 392, love it. I'm expecting a fair amount of dust from these awesome brakes. I have the factory 20x9.5 "SRT Low Gloss Black Performance Wheels" and wondering if it's ok to use any general wheel cleaner (spray on, hose off) on these? Or maybe use a Mopar formula or is that a waste of money? Or avoid such chemicals completely and just use a mild soap solution and soft cloth?

The owners manual specifically says DO NOT use wheel cleaners on "Dark Vapor Chrome", "Black Satin Chrome", or "Low Gloss Clear Coat" wheels.
So... is "SRT Low Gloss Black Performance Wheels" the same as "Low Gloss Clear Coat"?

I'll likely use mild soap and soft cloth regardless to be on the safe side, but wanted to ask around.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I have the gloss black wheels on my 16 R/T, soap and water only! I wouldn't trust ANY wheel cleaner! I've heard horror stories of cleaners leaving white streaks that never come off anf wheels need to be re-done! Nope, nuh uh,not me, not worth it IMHO.

I use the same soap I use on my car body paint with a micro fiber towel and micro fiber towel to dry.

Hope this helps you and enjoy your new car!

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
You will get tons of brake dust but no need for any fancy wheel cleaners. Any car soap will do. Or spray-on glass cleaner.

Then spray the wheels with armor-all wheel protectant and that will minimize the brake dust build-up. But you will have to re-apply after every wash.

Reactions: 18SRT392

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the feedback.
As I figured, no need to use anything other than regular car wash soap and a soft cloth and a little elbow grease.
Well worth the extra effort for that crisp, clean red & black pop!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would also suggest a good paste wax on the wheel once you get it clean. This will aid in future cleaning and it will occasionally allow small portions of the massive build-up of dust to blow away...

Exco

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Excoastie, never done paste wax before on the wheels but makes sense. Any particular favorite, Meguiars, Mothers, Johnson, etc?

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Thanks Excoastie, never done paste wax before on the wheels but makes sense. Any particular favorite, Meguiars, Mothers, Johnson, etc?
Any wax at all helps tremendously. A synthetic wax that will persist for a few months is ideal. This is what I use on my car and wheels:

For the car, after it cures for 24 hours, I top it off with carnauba wax and you get that "dip your arm a yard down into the finish" look.

Best,

Reactions: 18SRT392

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Depending on how meticulous you are when it comes to detailing...and how much you want to spend, I'd also suggest looking into Car Pro Trix, Hydro2 and reload.

Silica based properties...a lot more durable than traditional past wax setups..

Lastly, you could look into a more permanent ceramic coating base for your wheels and then focus on maintaining that instead..

Lot of good manufacturers out there..Opticoat, Cquartz, Modesta, Arctic, Gtechniq etc...

Edit: Feel free to check out the Auto Geek forum for more info!
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
previous owner used "Mag Wheel Cleaner" and didn't get it off fast enough...ate right down to the metal (good thing it is only on one wheel and not noticeable from three feet away)
Im surprised that it was corrosive enough to damage the finish like that.

Do you plan to get those wheels powder and clear coated again?

Its a nice design!

Edit: I have similar corrosion on the OEM wheels (which I now use dedicated for winter only)...but it started occurring on all wheels after the third year.

Looks like these posts had similar experiences:

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92591

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/se-rim-corrosion-your-wheels-center-cap-97027/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts