Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently having some problems with my front end, the dreaded "front end clunk".

I replaced the sway bar links and ball joints. Took the car to be aligned up after getting done like I normally do. Now my car pulls to the left no matter what lane I am in. I know with the crown in the road that it will pull some, but I can let go of the wheel and just change to the left lane with ease now.

I was in the shop with the guy that did the alignment. I was watching the computer screen as he did it and it showed everything lined up after he did some adjusting.

I thought I remember reading on here that there is a steering wheel lock to make sure the steering wheel is perfectly centered for wheel alignments. Taking my car back tomorrow afternoon for them to look at it. Think that maybe he didn't do this and with my wheel being slightly turned it was aligned wrong.

Anyone got any info on this?

Thanks for any help.

Dave

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
if your tires were rotated during this service thats the issue.

You do lock the steering wheel during a alignment.

and yes , road crown is on nearly every road and based on the severity could "pull" your car. You need to find a parking lot to test your straightness.
Straighten the wheel , drive straight and see if there is a pull. then do a 180 and go the other direction. Obviously if it pulls the same direction both times your car is not aligned correctly. If it pulls right one way and left the other you didnt find a flat spot.

Everything can be in green and your car still pull, however if it does, i'd rotate your tires front to back first to make sure its not a tire pull

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep my wheels were rotated maybe 2 weeks before taking it in to be aligned up. However the pull wasn't nearly as bad as what it is now. I put roughly 95 miles a day on my car for work.

I have to keep my wheel turned slightly to the right no matter where I drive now, parking lots, interstates, back roads, ect. If I center it up steering wheel I start drifting left.

·
Registered
377 Posts
yep my wheels were rotated maybe 2 weeks before taking it in to be aligned up. However the pull wasn't nearly as bad as what it is now. I put roughly 95 miles a day on my car for work.

I have to keep my wheel turned slightly to the right no matter where I drive now, parking lots, interstates, back roads, ect. If I center it up steering wheel I start drifting left.
If they used Win Toe you do not need the steering wheel lock. If you always had a slight drift, there is a TSB for the cradle to be shifted first.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
The steering wheel lock thing wouldn't make the car pull, it would just cause the steering wheel to be off center. The car would still track straight on the road.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
win toe :lol: is that still in exsistance ? :grin:

did this pull start with the tire rotation? if so , like it sounds , i think you found your problem. tire pulls happen all the time especially when cross rotating your tires, which i dont believe in.
i know the manual says to do it, and the dealer says to do it, but goodyear and firestone, both of which i've worked for, do front to back and this is why.

the cradle pull tsb is primarily on srt's from memory but i'm not 100% and they shouldnt have been able to get the left front wheel aligned without doing it if its needed. :dunno:

·
Registered
377 Posts
win toe :lol: is that still in exsistance ? :grin:

did this pull start with the tire rotation? if so , like it sounds , i think you found your problem. tire pulls happen all the time especially when cross rotating your tires, which i dont believe in.
i know the manual says to do it, and the dealer says to do it, but goodyear and firestone, both of which i've worked for, do front to back and this is why.

the cradle pull tsb is primarily on srt's from memory but i'm not 100% and they shouldnt have been able to get the left front wheel aligned without doing it if its needed. :dunno:
Win Toe is great...only when none of the other steering angles need to be set though.

Just move your front tire fromt the side that pulls to the other. If it pulls to that side its the tire...If the shop doesn't try that first and says its "in the green" get your money back and go somewhere else.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I rotated the wheels front to back and back to front. Only thing I criss-cross on rotation is my truck to help with cupping on the mud tires. But I know it will happen just from the offset I went with but it helps to slow it down.

The pull to the left in my car was very suttle when I rotated them, then I had put almost 2k miles on the car before doing the tie rods and sway bar links, after getting that done I took it in for alignment to make sure everything was straight. Now it handles like crap.

Do I just let it be and hope it wears the tires till the car drives straight?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts