Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else have problems with their rocker arms on here besides me? I broke one on my 3.5, got it fixed, broke another one right before I sold it, and now I guess one is broke on my srt.

Does having a broke rocker arm effect performance? I have a friend that has a r/t and it seems really really slow and he said he has a broke rocker arm also.

And on top of that, most of the dodge chrysler stealerships around here are going out of business, and the few that are still going, all the parts are on back order, so im stuck driving with a broke rocker.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A broken rocker arm will not open a valve and the engine will sound strange, run weird, misfire and have all sorts of problems. Are you sure its broken?

·
Banned
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A broken rocker arm will not open a valve and the engine will sound strange, run weird, misfire and have all sorts of problems. Are you sure its broken?
well it does run different....i can hear a rattle from the front, i can also feel that something isnt right, when I stomp on it, when it gets to around 5krpm it seems to just die and wont go anymore for a second or two, and feels like it does when you miss a shift in a manual . I brought it to a shop and they said it was a rocker arm, but maybe not.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
its common on 3.5's not on the hemi's.

·
Vendor
10,364 Posts
its common on 3.5's not on the hemi's.
Right Wicked! I have been talking about the binding that occurs on the rocker assemblies on many posts with these engines The typical oils that we are putting in these motors do not have the anti scuff and anti wear properties that they truely need.

This is why I custom blend the oils so that we address this and many other issues BEFORE they occur.

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040 :bigthumb:

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
so the only comminality between the cars is the goof behind the wheel hmmmmmmm

:lol:

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
lol....well, i believe my srt broke when i allowed my mother to take it for a day.
:no:

Seriously though .... I hope it's nothing serious, but some of the earlier 6.1 engines were known to break valve springs, if I remember correctly ... and that can end up ruining the engine ...

You NEED to have it checked out by a real Dodge tech, and stop driving it meanwhile ...

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
im not sure if ive ever heard of a stock rocker arm that has never been removed break on a hemi car. that has got to be rare indeed.

tell you what tho, if i had a broken rocker, i sure as hell wouldnt be driving the car ANYWHERE

a new rocker assembly is an easy replacement, and easy job to do, but takes diligence to properly torque and seat all pushrods and rocker shafts.

Right Wicked! I have been talking about the binding that occurs on the rocker assemblies on many posts with these engines The typical oils that we are putting in these motors do not have the anti scuff and anti wear properties that they truely need.

This is why I custom blend the oils so that we address this and many other issues BEFORE they occur.

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040 :bigthumb:
and where exactly does this bind occur, that you have been talking about so frequenly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had a broken rocker arm on my new 2011 Charger R/T with 900 miles on it. So yes apparently the Hemi can suffer from this to. Car ran like crap and misfired until i got it towed and fixed at dealership

·
Registered
2 Posts
rocker arms

i believe i just had a rocker arm go out on me last week. I have a video of it being started, a guy told me (from hearing me start it) that it was an injector which i could smell fuel, but there is a knock in it which i don't believe would come from a bad injector. i'm new here so once i figure out if i can post the video i will see i can get some feed back on what it sounds like.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If your breakin rocker arms..... have the valve lash checked. Something is hitting/binding against something.........

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If you've re-tuned it and played with the Guvner...... you may be exceeding the valve springs torsion and bottoming/topping out on the stroke distance for stock springs/caps

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Busted Rocker arms are REALLY BAD. Git it fixed or NEW motor is in future

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
i believe i just had a rocker arm go out on me last week. I have a video of it being started, a guy told me (from hearing me start it) that it was an injector which i could smell fuel, but there is a knock in it which i don't believe would come from a bad injector. i'm new here so once i figure out if i can post the video i will see i can get some feed back on what it sounds like.
I would be more worried that you dropped a valve seat. It's a known issue on the early 5.7L HEMI engine.

Stop running it immediately before you frag the engine. Get the heads pulled and inspect. If it is a dropped valve seat and you keep running it, it may cost you far more than a head replacement.

See this thread for more info...

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140203&highlight=dropped+valves

·
Registered
2 Posts
no i haven't did anything to the tune or any timing to it.. so i have pulled my valve covers off and notice that 5 of the 8 rocker arms on the diver side are loose however i don't see a way to tighten then

1 - 19 of 19 Posts