Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm curious to know the difference between the police package and a civilian charger? If anybody cud help me with that info. Thankyou.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Different brakes I think, High output alternator, Dash Shift (collum, but it comes out of the dash). No carpet, just rubber mat. Different rims and tires.
Center console different to allow electronics mounting.
Different engine software
A few other things too.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The Police Group sales code lists the following improvements over the base Charger SE:
  • HD Cloth Bucket & Rear Bench Seats
  • Police Group
  • Special Service Group
  • 160 Amp Alternator
  • 800 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
  • All Speed Traction Control
  • 4-Wheel Disc Heavy Duty Brakes
  • Mini Floor Console
  • Column Mount Automatic Shift Lever
  • 260 KPH Primary Speedometer (Certified)
  • Underhood Lamp
  • Engine Oil Cooler
  • Severe Duty Engine Cooling
  • High Speed Engine Controller
  • Performance Steering
  • Performance Suspension
  • Load Leveling and Height Control
  • Tilt Steering Column - No Telescope
  • P225/60R18 BSW Performance Tires (Continental ContiProContact)
  • 18x7.5 Steel Wheels
  • Equipment Mounting Bracket
These are some other things that I have noticed that is not included in Chrysler's list:
  • No grab handles/lights/coat hooks over rear doors
  • No coat hooks in "B" pillars
  • Additional battery wiring available in the centre console (3 accessory switched and 3 always live)
  • Seperate key and key fob
  • Wigwags just a switch and resistor away (pre wired, sort of)
  • Defeatable ESP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Different brakes I think, High output alternator, Dash Shift (collum, but it comes out of the dash). No carpet, just rubber mat. Different rims and tires.
Center console different to allow electronics mounting.
Different engine software
A few other things too.
Thanks for the info. Do you know which one is faster?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
There is no difference in performance between a police Charger and a civilian Charger, unless you count the defeatable ESP. Same way with the Crown Vic. The police package adds heavy duty components, but no power upgrades.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The police package weighs 500lbs MORE.....

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Maybe with a full trunk of gear, lights, pushbar, and backseat prisoner cage. But not out the door.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
There may be a slight difference in weight with the police package, since it has a full-size spare. But 500 pounds? Where would that come from?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for the info. Do you know which one is faster?
In terms of 1/4 mile or 0-60 times I can not tell you for sure but I would guess that it would be a dead heat. In regards to top speed, the Police Package is the faster than an R/T. My Police Package Charger will hit a top speed of about 148MPH before the engine controller will just say "No More For You". From what I can get out of Chrysler this is only because of tire speed rating. If the car had the speed limiter removed it "could" hit 163MPH or more, again this is just according to Chrysler. I must admit that travelling much over 100MPH on public roads is very much not recommended.

As for where to get one, the only way I know of to get one without joining the force is to either work at a Dodge dealership (that is how I got mine) or get real buddy-buddy with the Dealer Principal at your nearest dealership.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I'm not sure why, but Chrysler is very, very strict on selling them to civilans. I tried REALLY hard to get one, but couldn't get it done. And I even know the sheriff. The closest I could come was some guy in NJ said he could get me one for MSRP. But MSRP on the police car is too close to what I paid for my Daytona.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
REar seat is an optional thing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
you know...the seats are not the uncomfortable part of the ride. The lack of space and the fact that your hands are in metal cuffs behind your back is the uncomfortable part. Not that I know of course.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm not sure why, but Chrysler is very, very strict on selling them to civilans. I tried REALLY hard to get one, but couldn't get it done. And I even know the sheriff. The closest I could come was some guy in NJ said he could get me one for MSRP. But MSRP on the police car is too close to what I paid for my Daytona.
I have to admit that, at least with my Charger, Chrysler never questioned any thing at first. But for some reason once my car was built they made a phone call to our dealership asking some questions. Our dealer principal did not hide the fact that it was for me, just a parts guy. I think Allied Auto Group, the people responsible for getting the car from the train station to the dealership, were more confused about our dealership ordering a police package Charger then Chrysler was. So, in my opinion, it is more the dealers that are being difficult than Chrysler. An no I did not have to pay MSRP either, I got to pay the real invoice price being as I work for a DaimlerChrysler dealership. Unfortunatly I am only allowed one car per year so if anyone else wants me to get them one they will have to wait until next year. :) jk

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is no difference in performance between a police Charger and a civilian Charger, unless you count the defeatable ESP. Same way with the Crown Vic. The police package adds heavy duty components, but no power upgrades.
When you say defeatable ESP is that 100%, and if so can we adapt to ours?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts