Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this sounds stupid..But not everyone understands the full deal with the manumatic..

·
Registered
384 Posts
Manumatic
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Manumatic is a portmanteau word that means that the machine can respond to human commands and can often be more convenient than conventional alternatives. Chrysler Corporation made some luxury cars with a manumatic transmission where the transmission is an automatic with some elements of a manual (e.g. a gear can be manually selected without pressing a clutch). This type of transmission was introduced in the beginning of the 21st century. There is no other use for this word known so far. Different car manufacturers have been using a variety of labels for their manumatic transmissions, such as Tiptronic, Touchshift, Sporttronic, Sensodrive, Speedshift, Multitronic and others.

Also describes an electro-hydraulic manual transmission that is disguised to behave like an automatic with electronics in the shift system depressing the clutch when necessary - Mercedes have a version called Sequentronic and BMW have SSG (Sports Sequential Gearbox) and SMG (as used in the BMW_M3). Most implementations of this manual masquerading as an automatic have the side effect that the car is difficult to reverse, and jerky when changing gear. These are also referred to as clutchless manuals.

If you cant have a manual in your car this is the next best thing.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks..and no offense i knew most of it...i'm just asking this bc i notice a lot of people talking about there car being stuck in other gears...how so???i guess that should've been the right qeustion..but still..thanks a lot...and

BTW...the charger is on a mercedes chassis..that's where the manumatic comes from..those german guys...HAHAHA

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told that mercedes merged with mopar back in like 98..so they use a lot of there parts in mopars now???

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had the hard knocks education of the tiptronics on the Charger...I have never experienced it before the other day when I thought my trans was messing up. I look at it this way...you can more precisely control your shifting while busting the ass of another car (hopes that it is a damn ricer)...with the trottle mod out, this with the tiptronics, makes it damn near close to running a stick, but with the saftely of never over revving your engine and blowing it like you could do in a straight manual. Plus people who race with manuals, for the most part inexperienced ones, lose time due to improper shifting...they seem to think running it up to 7000 rpms gets them more umphh, but the tiptronics will shift for you once you hit a point where the engine is producing more drag instead of boost...this is how I see it anyways...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Whether you are in drive or you are using the manumatic the trans shifts exactly the same at the exact same points. So I feel it is absolutely worthless. It would be nice if it was like most of the other manumatic out there and would let you make the shift.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Charger transmission IS a Mercedes transmission, as are some of the chassis parts (suspension, steering gear, brakes, etc). Read the reviews by some of the major car magazines and you will see this is true. And the country or origin on the transmission is listed on the sticker as Germany.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
radguy said:
Whether you are in drive or you are using the manumatic the trans shifts exactly the same at the exact same points. So I feel it is absolutely worthless. It would be nice if it was like most of the other manumatic out there and would let you make the shift.
How can you say they shift at the exact same time?? They CLEARLY do not.. I can shift out of second gear at 5,000 RPM while in drive, it shifts out of second at about 3,000....

This is definately the best thing next to manual transmission.

·
Banned
236 Posts
radguy said:
That doesn't sound right. Have you had the Service guy look at it?

Using Autostick, my tranny won't shift until I tell it to - i.e bump the shifter right(+) or left(-) at the chosen RPM. I can take it up to 3K, 4K rpms or higher before shifting. When I have a few hundred miles on her I will bump it up closer to Red Line.

Driving in "D", I don't think I've ever seen the rpms go above 2,500 before it shifts.

·
Registered
263 Posts
radguy said:

You are incorrect. It doesn't shift the same. I use them both and the tiptronics gives way more driver control in shifting...

·
Registered
266 Posts
cork said:
That doesn't sound right. Have you had the Service guy look at it?

Using Autostick, my tranny won't shift until I tell it to - i.e bump the shifter right(+) or left(-) at the chosen RPM. I can take it up to 3K, 4K rpms or higher before shifting. When I have a few hundred miles on her I will bump it up closer to Red Line.

Driving in "D", I don't think I've ever seen the rpms go above 2,500 before it shifts.
I think what RADGUY is talking about is the shift pionts when you floor it, the engine definately has a high RPM when switching gears in full automatic... but I do agree that you have more control when you want a shift point yourself with the stick.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so bstoers as u can see i dooo know what im talking about and am not full of "bs"..hahahaha...i was suprised when i found out to,found out a couple of weeks ago when test driving a Daytona

·
Registered
382 Posts
A transmission does not equal a Mercedes chassis, in my opinion.

Yes, they share parts. No, that does not mean you're driving a Mercedes as all the salespeople at my dealership loved to say.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh no way is it going to compare with a mercedes..im just saying..yes they merged..and yes they do use some of the parts..i'd prefer the charger over a mercedes any day anyway

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
By the way...luv ur charger..how much the deck spoiler and chin spoiler run ya???

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks man

1 - 20 of 30 Posts