Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i wanna know what is pushing the limit of the car like when im in tiptronic i dnt shift till 5tho rpms when i want good speed and i let the rpm rev down to hear my gurgle in the mufflers .... i wanna know how much my car can take what do you guys shift at an how much and what ways do u push ur car?

it feels like my cars not responding to the speed i want

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
When in autostick, you can let the RPM's hit redline, then it'll shift on its own. As for shifting using autostick, the transmission will not shift exactly when you tell it, unless it can do so safely. The tranny will do what it takes to protect its self, so you can only push it so far. I'm sure someone else will post with more experience with autostick then me, I've yet to use it.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
like i shift on like 5 tho rpms and the tranny feels like it KICKS back

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bumppppppppppppp

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
When I use auto stick I shift around 3,000 & 3,500 rpm feels smooth. Thats just cuzing around :smoke:
But any higher rpm it does feel like it shift's a little rough. At WOT when it gets to 5,500rpm or I red line it in auto stick it smooth aswell.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when ur in autostick do u let off the gas when u shift or no?

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
No, I do not let off the gas. The computer takes the necessary precautions with the tranny.

·
Registered
174 Posts
when ur in autostick do u let off the gas when u shift or no?
theres no need to
in auto stick you can shift at any point you want, if you hit the shift point
it will up shift on its own.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my freind said ur suppose to let off the gas i ****ing knew it cause when u do the car kicks back with the tranny

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I only let off a bit going from 1 to 2 if I want to chirp the tires going into 2nd.
Takes some practice and knowing your car, but it is rather easy once you get it down.

·
Registered
174 Posts
next time you go out use autostick and shift about 4k car will shift with a little kick. dont be drinking hot coffee
problem is you can be doing 70 in third gear before you know it.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
^^^^^ Very true:lol: Every time I'm in auto stick I keep checking my rpm an by the time u know it i'm speeding :smoke:

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i know i was out just not speeding alittle =) raced an audi a4 and beat the **** outa him ... BUT WHATS PUSHING THE CAR? LIKE WHATS TO MUCH AND WHAT SHOULD NOT BE DONE ??

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bumppppppppppppp

·
Registered
928 Posts
dont worry man you cant hurt the trany. you can put it in stick and rev it to redline, it will shift before you even come close to the rev limiter. yes it kicks, what do you expect your pushing 400lbs of torqe INSTANTLY and PERFECTLY into gear.

the trany is a NAG1 , same as the one in the kompressor mercs. it can take like 700hp or something crazy. combine that with the fact that this is one of the most computer controlled cars EVER, it wont let it hurt its self. I would put a few thousand miles on it just to let everything break in but after that go have fun.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^^ thanx man good advice ..... I have 2700 miles on the car i broke it in but you dont get what im sayin i wanna know what kinda beating this car can take like i feel sometime i beat the hell outa it but i guess im not used to having a good car cause i had a 94 honda accord that if u hit a bump while accleratin hard the ****ing wheels would go nuts or somthing what i wanna know is whats good and whats bad for the car?

·
Registered
928 Posts
i guess I dont know what you mean. its not like your off roading. ummm dont crank the wheel to full lock and do doughnuts, it will blow your power steering pump.

dont drop the trany, if it will even let you, which I dont think it will.

other than that dont hit things, and dont speed over speedbumps.

all you can really hurt is your wallet buying new tires.

(this is assuming proper maintinance)

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yyea like that kinda stuff and like speeding every day? revin high i wanted to know if tht hurts the car.... like i said im used to haveing a ****y honda

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
yyea like that kinda stuff and like speeding every day? revin high i wanted to know if tht hurts the car.... like i said im used to haveing a ****y honda
It really depends on what you mean by 'hurt the car'. If you use the vehicle hard (high speeds (and I'm talking 120+ all day), fast accels, sharp cornering) it will wear out before another car that is treated more sedately.

As to how long it wil go before wearing out - that's anybody's guess - but even with moderately hard use on occasion, I don't see why the vehicle couldn't easily see the other side of 100K miles. Obviously, the worse you treat the car, the less it will last.

As for damage straight away - WRT the transmission and the engine, you really can't inflict terminal damage on any components - HAL won't let you. Remember that these engines would have been stuck on a dyno at max rpm and max load for hours on end when they were tested prior to release - and that is something you just can't replicate in real life. Yes, these test engines would only have a life of a few tens of thousands of miles before failure, but that would equate to many tens of thousands of miles (possibly hundreds) of normal road driving. Same thing would have been done to the transmission (at some point in its developmental life).

Problems only seem to occur when people start modding the heck out of the engine and start using stickier tyres - where drive shafts start to sheer. Now - the next mod would be the replacing of the drive shaft with an uprated model. Which will ultimately result in the diff exploding one day (due to fatigue). Fix the diff and you'll probably end up trashing the gearbox......then the torque converter...etc etc (mebbe not in this order - but the next weakest link will always fail once the previous weakest link has been 'fixed').

Anyhow - you'll be fine giving the car some stick every now nd then - probably won't make much of a difference to the total life of the car (which won't matter anyway, if you only plan on keeping it for a few years, or less than 100K miles) but you may end up replacing a few odds and ends that will eventually wear out. Use the car hard all the time - each and every time - it just won't last as long. It's really just a sliding scale of hard use against component life.

Go to the red line if you like - it won't break the engine - it will fatigue it a little more than not going to the red line, obviously. The failure speed (catastrophic) where the forces on the engine components exceed the engines ability to stay in one piece can NEVER be reached with the programming in HAL left alone - you cannot over-rev it.

·
Registered
206 Posts

if you have to ask... then yes it is bad for your car.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts