Charger Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am by no means an expert, but I have done some research and found out the hard way. I thought I would share this information as best I can.

With certain wheels a wheel spacer is necessary for the front wheels to not rub on the control arm. The SRT wheels are a set that comes to mind. The type of tires that you use can also have an impact on rubbing or not. If the tire sidewall is squared off it has a better chance of rubbing than one that is rounded at the edges.

I am running 22x10 Factory Reproduction Viper replica wheels with 265/35/22 Nitto 420S tires. I have read some experience rubbing with these tires and others do not. I had rubbing issues right away. I found that Jegs carries a 7/32 inch (5.56mm) universal wheel spacer. The price was $11.99 so I gave it a try. It fit fine, but I could notice vibrations through the steering wheel. Later I found that the lugs were backing off the studs. I believe the vibration was due to the universal fitment and the spacer not being hub centric.

I then ordered the Billet Technology 3mm hub centric spacer. The price was $35.99 plus shipping. I installed the BT spacers and they fit better than the universal ones. I tightened them down and I checked them 50 miles later per the instructions. So far none of the lugs have been loose. The vibration is also minimal. I can feel some of the road, but its mostly due to 22 inch wheels, not the spacers.

Lesson learned: pay a little more and get what's proven to work. Thanks BT for a great product. I have attached a picture to show you the difference in the two spacers.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
if you truly want to do it right, then you need to swap out your current studs with ones that are a bit longer or get a deeper lugnut.. reason why is, with spacers--lugs tend to not tighten down enough, although with a 5mm i think you will be ok. as far as replacing studs, tey are only like 2bucks each. for future reference, adpaters are better as they bolt on to the hub and they have another set of studs for the rims.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
yup, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Wow b/t has a far more superior product then the other guys > i cant imagine
:rolleyes2:

Now that the common sense lesson has been taught today :grin: we can all go about our day

·
Registered
445 Posts
Based on this, I am glad that I went with the BT version. They are sitting behind my desk waiting for my SRT8 wheels to come.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow b/t has a far more superior product then the other guys > i cant imagine
:rolleyes2:

Now that the common sense lesson has been taught today :grin: we can all go about our day
Terrible.... :confused: I'm just trying to help those that search and only find one word responses.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I am by no means an expert, but I have done some research and found out the hard way. I thought I would share this information as best I can.

With certain wheels a wheel spacer is necessary for the front wheels to not rub on the control arm. The SRT wheels are a set that comes to mind. The type of tires that you use can also have an impact on rubbing or not. If the tire sidewall is squared off it has a better chance of rubbing than one that is rounded at the edges.

I am running 22x10 Factory Reproduction Viper replica wheels with 265/35/22 Nitto 420S tires. I have read some experience rubbing with these tires and others do not. I had rubbing issues right away. I found that Jegs carries a 7/32 inch (5.56mm) universal wheel spacer. The price was $11.99 so I gave it a try. It fit fine, but I could notice vibrations through the steering wheel. Later I found that the lugs were backing off the studs. I believe the vibration was due to the universal fitment and the spacer not being hub centric.

I then ordered the Billet Technology 3mm hub centric spacer. The price was $35.99 plus shipping. I installed the BT spacers and they fit better than the universal ones. I tightened them down and I checked them 50 miles later per the instructions. So far none of the lugs have been loose. The vibration is also minimal. I can feel some of the road, but its mostly due to 22 inch wheels, not the spacers.

Lesson learned: pay a little more and get what's proven to work. Thanks BT for a great product. I have attached a picture to show you the difference in the two spacers.

great thread! you just sold me on the b/t spacers!
i think you might be working for them but oh well, i aint going to risk my car over 10 dollars!

:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::bowdown:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts