Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The otherday I drove my Dakota to work because the weather was kinda bad and I noticed the tire vibration had gotten a little worse. I've had all 4 tires rebalanced about a halfdozen times and about 5 people other than I have looked at the tires and some how this got by every one of us.

That tire only has 12K miles on it, but the vibration has been there for about 3K. It looks like a clear case of tread seperation (like the Firestone tires from a few years back) and there were a couple small spots that looked like it was going to happen in other areas. The other 3 tires are just fine.

The part that kicks me is NO ONE stocks a 32x11.500 R15 tire, it'll be Tuesday before I can get one ordered in. Oh, and the 15 year old spare tire that has NEVER been used looks in about as good shape as the one with the tread seperation (the rim itself looks/feels like its going to crumble, its visible in the last pic).... :dead:

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Wow - I've never seen that happen before. I'm surprised you didn't see it prior to now. At least you found it before it blew apart.

Oh - also - I've never seen quite that many pictures of a bad tire before.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Dude, how old is that tire...it looks like a lot of really old tires do...cracking everywhere... if it's more than 4 years old, it should have been replaced.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dude, how old is that tire...it looks like a lot of really old tires do...cracking everywhere... if it's more than 4 years old, it should have been replaced.

The tires on the truck are about 18 months old. They were put on the day I bought the truck (by the dealer, I watched them put them on). All those cracks look like the begining of the tread seperation problem Firestone had a few years back.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Wow, Josh, sometimes you scare me. Actually you always scare me, but this time worse than most. :)

Glad you found it before something really bad happend and you earned your screen name all over again.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
so, ARE those Firestones? Shouldn't look like that if they're only 18 months old... and you bought them new???

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
They are Dunlop Wild Country LTs and they were NEW when I bought the truck. Like I said, the other 3 are perfectly fine.
Well, i just hope for your sake that this was an isolated case of one bad tire.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Wow..I have seen worse. 1st stop spinning your tires. You should be able to get 30K out of a tread like that. Also its not tread separation. The tire would look much more distorted. You are what it looks like at about 2/32nds in tread which all manufactures state they have no control over a tire which is at or below the legal limit. If you look at one side of your lug you will notice that the lug has been sliced. You either caught a rock or something metal that started to cut the lug open. That would not be a warrantied tire. Anyhow, glad you caught it!! Because of your driving you may need to do more frequent tire checks.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow..I have seen worse. 1st stop spinning your tires. You should be able to get 30K out of a tread like that. Also its not tread separation. The tire would look much more distorted. You are what it looks like at about 2/32nds in tread which all manufactures state they have no control over a tire which is at or below the legal limit. If you look at one side of your lug you will notice that the lug has been sliced. You either caught a rock or something metal that started to cut the lug open. That would not be a warrantied tire. Anyhow, glad you caught it!! Because of your driving you may need to do more frequent tire checks.

The tires have 12K on them and the other 3 look almost new - there is a defect with this one. There were small areas that look like they were bulging and ready to do break open like the spot pictured. You can't really see it, but the steel belts were poking thru the outter part of the tire, where the tire still had a lot of rubber left.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
wow!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welp, you know what you have to do now. Give that tire a respectable end to its existence and SMOKE'EM!!!

Too soft of rubber and too big of a tire for the Dana 44 rear end to spin... Maybe if I found some really lose gravel on the tar, I could do it, but the 318 V8 just doesn't seem to have the torque it needs to smoke these tires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts