Charger Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...if you took your Charger into a dealer (not the selling dealer) for some warranty work and it came out with a $1400 dent in the front fender? Let's also mention that like alot of board members, you are meticulous about your car and are familiar with every imperfection - and you know it wasn't there when you dropped the car off.
What would you expect?
(ask any questions you feel are appropriate)

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I certainly would make that dealership pay for the repairs and have it fixed at the place of MY choise. They MUST and WILL pay for damage done at thier dealership as far as I am concerned. :confused:

·
Registered
360 Posts
My dealer has a sheet that is filled out at drop off indicating any imperfections in the car for just that reason. Check to see if your dealer did that. If they did and you did not get a copy before you left it there, you're probably out of luck, but for future reference, make them inspect it and note any damage in writing at drop off so you don't have an issue later.

Good luck, I hope they step up and do the right thing.....

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
My dealer has a sheet that is filled out at drop off indicating any imperfections in the car for just that reason. Check to see if your dealer did that. If they did and you did not get a copy before you left it there, you're probably out of luck, but for future reference, make them inspect it and note any damage in writing at drop off so you don't have an issue later.

Good luck, I hope they step up and do the right thing.....
This is a great idea! Its protecting both you and your dealer. I do know that dealerships are not supposed to be responsible for damages to your car, but I would argue that point if it were me. This is one reason I rarely leave my car at a dealership all day or all night. I always make the appointment for first thing in the morning and usually wait on my car. (I go across the street for breakfast, check out the cars on the lot, things like that) Then ai can get my car out of there as soon as its finished. :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Take action, and do it sooner rather than later. Take it up with them, and if they do not satisfy you, then take it up higher. I have had this happen to me, not with my Charger, and not with Dodge, but a similar experience with another car recently, but I got it settled. Document everything, people you talk to, pictures, work orders, etc. Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This dealer does not do a walk-around unless it is requested. Here is what I have been told by either the Service Manager or the owner at separate intervals:
- The tech said it came in the shop that way - "My techs are under no penalty if they damage a car, so I believe him"
- We can't be responsible for damage in the lot - plenty of cars come in and out during the day.
- I'd have to do a walk around on every car (the owner said that I could request that in the future)
- We don't have cameras and cant watch the cars while they are here.
- It could have happened someplace else (actually the owner told me flat out that he didn't think it happened there)
- You didn't buy the car here, and everything thus far has been warranty work, so we can't recoup the money to repair your dent. (I understand that it's all been warranty work - and that was why I purchased around $900 worth of parts from them since I've been going there - to help build a "good faith relationship. I was also considering buying a service contract there)
- "The owner is very specific about these kinds of things"

Granted, I didn't see the dent until I got back to work, but the car was under my rear end from the time I left the lot. Normally, I scope out the car anytime it's parked, but I was running out of lunch hour and didn't do it until I got back. I don't think it would have made any difference.

I was told that they could try to buff it out (ever see "Planes, Trains and Automobiles?), or "we could get one of those 'dent guys". I was also told that they could talk to their body shop about a "special price" for me. Finally they said they would give me a better deal on the service contract.

The sad part is that the parts guy has been great, and the repairs have been largely handled properly.

·
Registered
831 Posts
That sucks man, I don't get that whole warranty thing either. I also purchased an extended warranty and most dealers in my area will not even do the warranty work if you have not purchased your car from them. They said there only alotted a certain percentage to do warranty work and they would rather do it on someone's car that was purchased from them. What happens when you HATE the dealership that you purchased your car from? I really hate that aspect of things......Good Luck with everything dude.

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
- You didn't buy the car here, and everything thus far has been warranty work, so we can't recoup the money to repair your dent
He's full of it. The dealer gets reimbursed for warranty work from Chrysler. Cost of all parts, plus an 'internal' hourly rate, which is admittedly less than the customer rate. I used to be the Financial Controller for a Forklift Truck dealership, and we loved warranty work. It wasn't as lucrative as customer chargeable work, but it still makes the dealership some profit, and keeps the shop busy.

I don't get that whole warranty thing either. I also purchased an extended warranty and most dealers in my area will not even do the warranty work if you have not purchased your car from them. They said there only alotted a certain percentage to do warranty work and they would rather do it on someone's car that was purchased from them.
I don't get that either. Dealers in the US must be real pr!cks, and not too smart, either. The dealer will always make way more money on service than on the initial sale of the car. I bought my car at a dealership quite far from me, because that's where I got the deal, but I have it serviced locally, of course. They treat me like a King.

The sales manager at the Lift truck dealership where I worked used to say "The salesman sells the first lift truck, but the Service department sells each additional one". And he's right. Sounds like both you go to dealers that need some education on the business they're in. I mean, if they treated you with respect and helped you out, wouldn't you maybe, just maybe, become a loyal customer?

As for the damage; that sucks. I cannot express in words the wrath they would have incurred had it been my car. I also never would have left the dealership without settling the score right then and there. Looks like they're gonna hose you. :(

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
575 Posts
Try to work "something" out- you cannot prove absolutely that they did it. Same situation that I had. But all the "evidence" in my situation strongly suggested that the damage to my car was done at the service center where my car was at - and I presented my case to them and to their next higher ups, since they didn't want to deal with me properly. In the end, they made a settlement with me that was satisfactory, and you can do the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts