Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the Chicago area and don't want to drive my SRT in it
I also don't want to use a POS compact pickup truck or other small SUV which is all I can seem to find and know of that would be good for under $1000.

Anyone have experience with any old sedans that do really well in the snow?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
volvos do real well in snow... and you can get an old volvo for cheap!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
How about an older Audi Quatro or a older Subaru? both pretty good four wheelers for cheap.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I just bought an '02 Intrepid for my winter car...I owned a '97 before and just scrapped it a few weeks ago, but it was a nice car to have for winter...with the right tires. I just hope that this newer Intrepid will make me as happy as the last one! They are excellent highway cruisers...which is most of my mileage.

How much do you want to spend?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I had an old Subaru and it was a beast, that all wheel drive is no joke in the snow / even mud.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I use a 96 S-10 Blazer 2 door 4X4......289,000 miles...I picked it up for $400...runs great and the 4 wheel drive works nice.............

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I personally have a civic but if we get an inch of snow down here everything shuts down, not quite like Chicago, I spent a year there, summer is beautiful but that winter was unbearable!!

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
Anyone have experience with any old sedans that do really well in the snow?
That's one reason I didn't get the SRT: Canadian Winters.

Any front wheel drive car with decent snow tires should suffice. Maybe try an Impala; they're cheap as heck, even in decent condition...

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
That's one reason I didn't get the SRT: Canadian Winters.

Any front wheel drive car with decent snow tires should suffice. Maybe try an Impala; they're cheap as heck, even in decent condition...
You driving the RT/R&T this winter? ...Lemme know how THAT goes! I hear they're pretty good in snow... but I'm still going to put mine away next week! I couldn't live with myself if i allowed my baby to be covered in salt...even for a few minutes!:grin:

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
You driving the RT/R&T this winter? ...Lemme know how THAT goes! I hear they're pretty good in snow... but I'm still going to put mine away next week! I couldn't live with myself if i allowed my baby to be covered in salt...even for a few minutes!:grin:
I'm dreading it...but yes...I'm driving it through the winter.

It's a leased vehicle, so it would be silly to make the obscene payments and not drive it...

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
I know a guy that has a 300, and he says that ESP works great. He had no trouble with his last winter...the only thing I'm worried about is the OTHER MORONS on the road that can't drive. As for the salt; I'll probably wash it a couple times a week at one of those coin-op pressure washer places; there's one near my house, and one reasonably close to the office too...

·
Registered
731 Posts
I drive my SRT-8 in the winter. I'll tell you how it is....fabulous!
I have some 19" rims with some superb Pirellis Scorpions on it.

No issues or problems. Works great!
:)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
We bought a Neon to drive for the winter. Just don't want all that salt on the Charger.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Used to live in the cold...

I had a WRX wagon..beat the SXXT out of it..always got me where I needed to go..:) :)

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I'm dreading it...but yes...I'm driving it through the winter.

It's a leased vehicle, so it would be silly to make the obscene payments and not drive it...
Dat true! I didn't know it was a lease. :grin:

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I had an old Subaru and it was a beast, that all wheel drive is no joke in the snow / even mud.
X2!! Subaru's last forever and are great for snow! I traded mine in on this Charger, and kept the AWD! :grin:

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I know a guy that has a 300, and he says that ESP works great. He had no trouble with his last winter...the only thing I'm worried about is the OTHER MORONS on the road that can't drive. As for the salt; I'll probably wash it a couple times a week at one of those coin-op pressure washer places; there's one near my house, and one reasonably close to the office too...
Yes, you have to be aware of other BAD drivers on the road...I certainly wouldn't drive my Banana for that reason too...I've been rear ended by dopes not giving themselves enough distance to stop...once was my last Intrepid and the other was my R/T Durango which really pissed me off. :grin: Suckas paid up though.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I feel bad for you guys having to put your cars away for the winter.
We didn't even get rain here last winter. so if you can put up with earthquakes and wildfires..... this is Charger Owner Heaven!
I was looking at Autotrader and saw a couple 4x4 blazers for under $1000
that would serve well in the snow beater role.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I feel bad for you guys having to put your cars away for the winter.
We didn't even get rain here last winter. so if you can put up with earthquakes and wildfires..... this is Charger Owner Heaven!
I was looking at Autotrader and saw a couple 4x4 blazers for under $1000
that would serve well in the snow beater role.
If i drove my Charger all winter, i would have double my mileage...ugh:grin:

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts