·
Registered
212 Posts
Mine had a black hardtop. 1966 LTD 390.

Reactions: FattCharge

·
Registered
214 Posts
My first car was my third vehicle. I started off on bikes with a 1982 Yamaha RD350LC and then a 1986 GSXR1100. I hit a tree on the RD and had an 85mph head on with the GSXR, so my dad though cars would be better, so he gave me his 1978 VW Rabbit. I had it for about 3 years, until the floors were too rusted out, so I junked it. It was a great car, fantastic heat, great gas mileage and handled great with some 205/50/15s and a braced suspension.
I did keep it, but I do have a mk1 VW. I bought a 1989 VW Cabriolet, which I am currently driving/rebuilding. Last year was supposed to be the suspension(springs, shocks, bushings, wheel bearings, etc), but now it will be done this year. The original plan was to do the brakes this year, but that might get pushed to next year, then the year after will be the motor swap and finish the interior.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
My first car was a 1976 Dodge Aspen notchback coupe, 5.2L 318 CID V8, put out a blistering 140hp/250lbft. 3spd auto, column shift, bucket seats as opposed to the ubiquitous bench. I remember when my Dad brought it home; he'd bought it for $100 from a co-worker and it ran like crap. Ran like a top once he was done with a tune up. It wasn't fast (obviously) but it felt like it since my previous conveyance was a 10spd bike. LOL I buried the OD (which went up to 100, top speed listed as 111, probably right) more than a few times- there was this one road, Woodside Ave, near where I grew up that was relatively straight, 4 lanes to each side and more or less trouble free (read that as rare cop presence). I could get to 100 before I reached the end! My little brother didn't believe me, said that Dad told him it'd never get past 90. Ha! Showed him! LOL

It was doo-doo brown, with a cream vinyl half top; I think they called that a 'landau style' or something. The passenger side door had a big dent in it, but it still worked. I remember a 4 speaker sound system, JBLs with a random head unit that wasn't stock (neither were the speakers). I remember pulling off the grandpa trim off the doors and panels; a buddy of mine was going to help me grind down the studs and they we were gonna bondo it and repaint. Never got around to it. This was in 1990, and I was in high school.

The first car I ever bought was a 1975 Pontiac Firebird, 4.9L 301 CID V8 (out of a 77), with an earthmoving 135hp/235lbft. 3spd auto, center console shift, buckets. I used to see it every day on my way to school; had a for sale sign $300. Finally I stopped on my way home to talk to the guy; it needed work. Engine ran fine, exhaust was shot but he told me I could straight pipe it and not worry about cats because it was a 75 and wasn't required for that year. He had a lien on the title so he said I could wait and buy it, or buy it and he'd send it. I talked him down to $175 and opted to take it right there, figured bird in hand and all that. I hid it from my parents at a friend's apartment complex where it got towed from a few months later. My Dad found out anyway when the guy called my house for an address to send the new title to. A lot had happened since I bought the car and I ended up leaving it at the tow yard. Of course now, I wish I hadn't as of all the cars of my youth, the Firebird/TA was the one I loved the most. Still do. Don't get me wrong, my Dad never had one- he was a Mopar man to the core and had a succession of Chargers as I was growing up but for me, it all started with Smokey and the Bandit- I've wanted a Trans Am ever since. Got close just that one time, but it slipped through my fingers.

Nowadays, I don't have the garage space (or the permission of the wife) to get one...when I broached the subject about a toy car to mess about with on the weekends (because I wanted a V8) she just looked at me and said: why does it have to be an old car? Why don't you just get a newer car with a V8? I threw her for a loop when I opted for an Audi S8! But I still look at them in the classifieds. Maybe one day. I don't have any pics of either car, sadly. The only people who carried cameras back then were tourists and photographers.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My first car was a 1960 Valiant with wild woodpecker (woodpecker chomping on a cigar) decals on both sides (car had the decals when I bought it). It had a slant six with a three-speed on the floor. That was my first experience with Mopars. Apart from a couple of Fords ('61 & '63), all I've ever driven have been Mopars. I wish I could remember all the cars I've owned over the years, but it's pretty extensive.

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit 5.7 Hemi Rwd
24 Posts
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport, solid as can be with lots of rust and sat for 2 years after going through no oil changes or maintenance for about 5 years before that from my cousins before I got it for free. Fixed it up with my dad and it’s how I got into cars, I learned how to paint, do body work, and many other things on this Jeep. Totaled in a head on (not my fault) from a guy who was texting drove on the other side of the road. Now I have a nicer Cherokee and a Charger and they’re both awesome. Still one of my favorite vehicles today they’re bulletproof.

·
Registered
146 Posts
This will sort out the 'super' seniors on this forum: Got VA drivers license 1952, 15 yrs old and . .
  • 1st motor vehicle, a Cushman Motor scooter;
  • a year+ later, a Vespa motor scooter.
  • late1954, first car 1949 Ford 2dr.
Anybody else getting first car in '54 or earlier

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Some great memories, thanks to all who have shared their stories with us.

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks to everyone who joined in so far, we love reading the stories and looking at the photos.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts