Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week We were looking back at some old EBC Brake photos and brochures from 'days gone by' which then got us talking about the first vehicles we all owned (some of these can be seen in our new 'Taking a Break' YouTube series Taking a Brake with the EBC Team | Episode 1: Group CEO, James Hallett - YouTube

So, the question We have is what was the first vehicle you owned and what was so special or, not so special about it?
Was there anything 'quirky' about it? Did it have a name? Did you do any special upgrades to it?

We would love to see photos of your first vehicle and will be sending some free EBC goodies (Cap, Mug, Pen, Lanyard, you know the sort of things!) to a randomly selected forum user.

Get searching for those old photos in those attics/lofts/garages/under parent's beds or just on your phone or computer if you are from the younger generation.

We can't wait to see what you all used to drive, and I am sure occasionally push!

My first car was a Renault GT Turbo Raider with the colour coded wheels. No real modifications to be done so kept it standard, which in those days was more than enough. I wish I still had it as it would have made me a small fortune......

·
Registered
2,222 Posts

1974 Dodge Dart Sport. We weren't allowed to drive at my high school; ironically I saw this car every day on my way home from school on the bus for the last few months of my senior year. $400 or $450 (I forget) in 1991. Mechanic had it, rebuilt the 318 and converted it to auto from 3sp manual for his mother; she didn't want it lol. A few months later a family friend had a line on a 340 for it but a patch of black ice the following February ended it.

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,111 Posts

November of 2004, With the first check I ever wrote for a $1,000 busting butt at Burger King I purchased my chariot to freedom. She sit behind a fence until I was 18 to get my DL and Insurance on my own.

She had 108,xxx Miles back then.

She served me extremely well until a new DD, 2011 Charger Pursuit showed up in 2018. Through the years had seen countless updates, and upgrades from various LH cars and single handily catapulted me into dodge ownership and learning to turn wrenches.

And now, she sits comfortable after so many years in the relentless Florida sun inside a garage with little over 258,000 miles clocked on her. No longer driven as much, but still very much loved. With plans for new paint and a better heart in the works. She still starts, runs, and handles great. Little old, little slow, but still my Girl after so many years. I make sure she gets garaged before even the Charger does. Hoping to add another 17 years to ownership with it.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
1990 Volkswagen Jetta GL. Was given to me by my Uncle in 2001, had 122,000 miles on it. It was a 2 door which you rarely see. I learned to drive manual in it, however it didn't last more than a few months after me getting my permit and sadly there are no pictures.

·
Registered
2021 Charger Scat Pack WB
76 Posts
1971 Vega in white, tan interior automatic 0-60 in 10 minutes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thought it was stupid fast...........ROFL

Now own two 175 MPH Dodges................

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,907 Posts
My grandmothers 55 Chevy, in line 6cyl and three on the tree. A real tanker.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
1973 Plymouth Fury 4 door with a 440 4bl. I think it got 5 mpg LOL . Used to invert the top of the aircleaner and man it sounded good. It would suck in Civics' and blow them out the exhaust.

·
Registered
2020 Charger R/T Frostbite
83 Posts
Mine was an Isuzu I-Mark. 1985 if I recall correctly. She wasn’t much, but she was mine. Pretty much an oversized go cart.

Got rear ended by a 16 year old girl in a brand new Acura and that was the last I saw of it.

Great thread. I love the stories and the pictures.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My grandfather's 2006 Charger.
Funny story, my uncle works at a Chevy dealership and is a huge 'Vette fan. My dad loves Ford (has a 2003 Terminator Cobra), so the two of them have been trying to sway me to either side of the big 3 pretty much since I was born. But my grandfather used to work for Chrysler, and when he passed his car came down to me, and as soon as I drove that thing my heart was set and I knew I had to keep carrying that torch. I love my baby.

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
View attachment 298295

November of 2004, With the first check I ever wrote for a $1,000 busting butt at Burger King I purchased my chariot to freedom. She sit behind a fence until I was 18 to get my DL and Insurance on my own.

View attachment 298292

She served me extremely well until a new DD, 2011 Charger Pursuit showed up in 2018. Through the years had seen countless updates, and upgrades from various LH cars and single handily catapulted me into dodge ownership and learning to turn wrenches.

View attachment 298293

And now, she sits comfortable after so many years in the relentless Florida sun inside a garage with little over 258,000 miles clocked on her. No longer driven as much, but still very much loved. With plans for new paint and a better heart in the works. She still starts, runs, and handles great. Little old, little slow, but still my Girl after so many years. I make sure she gets garaged before even the Charger does. Hoping to add another 17 years to ownership with it.
View attachment 298294
That's a great story and excellent that you still have it.

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My grandfather's 2006 Charger.
Funny story, my uncle works at a Chevy dealership and is a huge 'Vette fan. My dad loves Ford (has a 2003 Terminator Cobra), so the two of them have been trying to sway me to either side of the big 3 pretty much since I was born. But my grandfather used to work for Chrysler, and when he passed his car came down to me, and as soon as I drove that thing my heart was set and I knew I had to keep carrying that torch. I love my baby.
View attachment 298303
I am also quite partial to the Dodge and Chrysler range.

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
View attachment 298295

View attachment 298292

View attachment 298293

View attachment 298294
Let's get an EBC free gift sent out to you, PM me your address

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
View attachment 298290

1974 Dodge Dart Sport. We weren't allowed to drive at my high school; ironically I saw this car every day on my way home from school on the bus for the last few months of my senior year. $400 or $450 (I forget) in 1991. Mechanic had it, rebuilt the 318 and converted it to auto from 3sp manual for his mother; she didn't want it lol. A few months later a family friend had a line on a 340 for it but a patch of black ice the following February ended it.
Let's get an EBC free gift sent out to you, PM me your address

·
Registered
525 Posts
My first car was a 4 door 1962 Chevy (Biscayne?) It was an inline 6 banger with a three-on-the-tree. It went out of control on the very first snowy day and hit another car. (Totally my fault) Just a minor fender bender, no injuries. But I did get to learn some basic bodywork skills from my stepdad, who coached me with the tools required to remove the left front fender and beat the dent out of it with a hammer there in the back yard. (I just had liability insurance, so it paid for the other guys car, not mine) I managed to straighten it out well enough to aim the headlight mostly toward the front. I used it up until I deployed overseas with the US Army. I instructed my mother to sell it for me and stick the cash in my savings account for me. I bought it for $150, wrecked it, fixed it, drove it all over, including to my AIT training site at Ft Sill, Oklahoma... and still made money on it when it sold. I also learned a valuable lesson about winter driving and how much work it took to correct one's driving errors. This was back in late 1971

·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My first car was a 4 door 1962 Chevy (Biscayne?) It was an inline 6 banger with a three-on-the-tree. It went out of control on the very first snowy day and hit another car. (Totally my fault) Just a minor fender bender, no injuries. But I did get to learn some basic bodywork skills from my stepdad, who coached me with the tools required to remove the left front fender and beat the dent out of it with a hammer there in the back yard. (I just had liability insurance, so it paid for the other guys car, not mine) I managed to straighten it out well enough to aim the headlight mostly toward the front. I used it up until I deployed overseas with the US Army. I instructed my mother to sell it for me and stick the cash in my savings account for me. I bought it for $150, wrecked it, fixed it, drove it all over, including to my AIT training site at Ft Sill, Oklahoma... and still made money on it when it sold. I also learned a valuable lesson about winter driving and how much work it took to correct one's driving errors. This was back in late 1971
And that is definitely the best way to learn...

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
View attachment 298295

View attachment 298292

View attachment 298293

View attachment 298294
Most people can't say they still have their first, car, especially if its one they actually like. Held up well too. My mother has an LH (don't remember which one, might actually be an Eagle) and that sumbitch is about to fold over on itself and implode lol.
Yours is begging for 4L upgrade. Can't remember if it was a hopped up 300M or Intrepid R/T, but saw one that had been lowered, had bigger wider rubber with handling tweaks and had an Inertia 3.5 based stroker in it. Little [email protected] would zip along.

1973 Plymouth Fury 4 door with a 440 4bl. I think it got 5 mpg LOL . Used to invert the top of the aircleaner and man it sounded good. It would suck in Civics' and blow them out the exhaust.
Ah the C bodies.......had a '74 Dodge Monaco 2 door (car #7 lol) with a factory 440 and the interior and T/T column from an Imperial. Pass everything but a gas station lol. Freaked my soon to be ex-wife out when I sent her in to pay for the Xmas tree while I.............stuck it in the trunk and closed it 😂 😂 She expected to see it tied to the roof, had to show her it was actually in the trunk lol.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Hoarding everything means you don't have to regret selling anything. I've been meaning to throw a bigger motor in my satellite for a while. Maybe a project for this summer. Been looking to find a 440 or 383 for it.

Speaking of C bodies I have a 73 Polara I bought from my cousins last year. It's a 318 car... for now.

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Charger Scat Pack Widebody
69 Posts
My first car was a 1977 Ford Mustang II with a V-6 and auto transmission.
I was 15 and I found it at a junk yard, they wanted $350 for it. It was Grey with a blue front clip.
I paid $50 a week, working at a truck stop fueling semi trucks, until I paid it off and was able to have my dad drive it home for me.
My dad showed me how (supervised, haha) to change oil, brakes, plugs/wires, alternator, water pump and starter on it. I also learned how to work on a carburetor.
I ended up with two other Mustangs in high school, but I kept that Mustang II until I went in the military.
It was ugly, I thought it was beautiful.
It was slow, I thought it was a racecar.
It was unreliable, I thought it was the best-built car in the world.

My son is 13, when he's 15 I hope to help him find a "junkyard car" that will catapult his love of cars and performance as well.
Dirty hands and sore knuckles build a bond for life.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts