Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, first of all, I'm not going to sell it any time soon. However, it ain't new any more and after looking her over tonight, I started wondering what to do.

It's now got a couple of dings from other doors. There are some scratches in the paint due to my own carelessness with a clay bar. Of course, there's the scar in the back bumper from backing in a light pole awhile back.

So, what to do? It's an every day driver for me. Sure, I want it to look like new forever. It's the best car I've had, and certainly the most expensive. I feel pretty bad that these things have happened, but other than the lectures that I should be more careful, only drive it on weekends, by a beater car, etc... yada, yada, I want to know whether it's better to chase these things one by one as they occur and be scared to death of the next scratch, dent or ding, or enjoy the car, try to be careful and two or three years down the road have it fixed up and repainted.

I am leaning towards the latter right now because I figure $500 here, $700 there, so on and so forth and it all adds up. Is it better to just save it up over time and restore it barring some major catastrophe should happen?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I'm pretty good with the touch up paint myself, now as for dings- I can't stand 'em and will take it to the body shop asap and go without sleep till they are fixed.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya. The paint is actually in pretty good shape over all. The scratches in the paint from the clay bar are actually where a new decal goes, so I can cover it. The thing is, I really decided I liked it better without the trunk decal. Touch up paint ain't gonna help.

The scar is just plain ugly and touch up paint won't really make that any worse, so I may attempt that. OTOH, I'm kind of a scarred up guy so perhaps it a fate thing. The car door dings are just that. No paint damage, just small dents that maybe can be fixed by one of those paintless dent repair guys.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I tell you what...I'll give you my car and take yours :)

·
Registered
10,655 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tell you what...I'll give you my car and take yours :)
er...... no.

Bad news. Installing the trunk blackout decal this morning was a total disaster. There was just no way I could get it down as the backing was just too stiff to allow it to lay flat. After the 3rd try, it ended up in the dumpster. Time for plan "B".

I have some Nu-Finish Scratch remover so I first cleaned up the area really well with some of the soapy spray, then a really good wipe down with rubbing alcohol. I applied the scratch remover and buffed it off with a microfiber towel. I did it again for good measure and what do you know? The scratches are almost invisible. I finished it off with a couple of coats of Nu-Finish polish and the thing looks almost brand new!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Just wait until you trade it in and then take a black sharpie to the scratches....:grin:

·
Registered
171 Posts
er...... no.

Bad news. Installing the trunk blackout decal this morning was a total disaster. There was just no way I could get it down as the backing was just too stiff to allow it to lay flat. After the 3rd try, it ended up in the dumpster. Time for plan "B".

I have some Nu-Finish Scratch remover so I first cleaned up the area really well with some of the soapy spray, then a really good wipe down with rubbing alcohol. I applied the scratch remover and buffed it off with a microfiber towel. I did it again for good measure and what do you know? The scratches are almost invisible. I finished it off with a couple of coats of Nu-Finish polish and the thing looks almost brand new!

Maguire's Scratch-X is also a good product to use... I have successfully used it on my Harley many times. It is amazing how much damage a zipper from leather jacket can do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts