Charger Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know it will eventually happen to us, the dreaded rock chips/scratches/scuff marks. Provided you have touch up paint, what's the best process to fix them? I've been lucky so far, but I know it will eventually get me and I want to be prepared as possible. Once you apply touch up paint is there anything else that needs to be done? Do you have to buy a seperate bottle of clear coat since the touch up paint won't have the same "sheen" as the surrounding paint?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Great question!
Hopefully you'll get a couple of better answers, but here is my opinion:

Based on a recommendation on this forum, I got the Langka paint repair kit. (Prep fluid, blob remover, paint sealant.)
When you use the touch-up paint, apply a bit too much. Then let it dry a bit (results will vary with the time you allow for this!!). Then use the blob remover, (which lightly attacks the fresh paint but not the existing paint) to make it as level and perfect as you can.
It came out ok for me, despite zero artistic talent. Not perfect, but definitely better than just the paint alone.

I was heartbroken when this happened to me. I am still unhappy with the damn dump-trucks that shoot high-speed rocks everywhere when they try to take corners at 70 mph! :)

I'd love to hear if anyone uses clearcoat! You are right; the sheen is indeed different.

·
Registered
902 Posts
My wifes car has them so bad I am just waiting till bug season ends and getting the entire front fascia painted again, and again, and again..........

·
Registered
245 Posts
I tried this product on my previous car which was a black Sebring convertible and it worked remarkably well. My nose looked like it was sand blasted with hundreds of tiny chips and this paint process made it look as good as new. Not real expensive for the whole kit. Here is the link to the web site and I hope this helps.

http://drcolorchip.com/touchup-paint.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts