Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Want to thank anyone whom helps me with this question I have. Long story short right before putting my srt8 in storage during the fall, I had the water pump replaced...drove it home and put it away. Well with driving it around I popped the hood yesterday...and this is kind of stumping me....right where the upper coolant hose connects to the water pump seems to be a thin piece of metal stabbed in between the thermostat and water pump...any ideas what this is?

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
Looks like the previous owner handcrafted his own metal thermostat gasket.

Hardcore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol sad thing, the shop I took it too did this...I know it wasn't like this prior, and sad thing is I paid a pretty penny to have it done too...thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
920 Posts
Oh! Can't imagine why a real mechanic would do that. Maybe it leaked when they put it back together?

To quote Lieutenant Ripley from Alien, "Not exactly out of the manual, is it?"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm definitely going to be giving him a call regarding the half ass job he applied to it...specially considering it still under their warranty as I only put 200 miles on it...sad, to see such cheap quality applied...

·
Registered
920 Posts
Let us know how that goes. I'm curious as to why that was done. The thermostat has an integrated gasket. The only thing I can figure is that either the thermostat housing or the water pump mating surface may have been warped.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
To me that just looks like where the pump was machined, it doesn't look to me like there is any floating/non-attached gasket looking thing. I just got replaced maybe 8 months ago...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To me that just looks like where the pump was machined, it doesn't look to me like there is any floating/non-attached gasket looking thing. I just got replaced maybe 8 months ago... View attachment 293363

Thank you, and others for the quick responses...I was worried...because I remember that not being there prior to my water pump being replaced (and not going to lie, I didn't look it over) I too was thinking it was a cheap attempt of a gasket or some piece of flashing jammed into there to make it flush. Thanks guys for putting me at ease, you guys rock!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts