Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to put some exhaust on my 06 rt, so I've been reading through the forums and finding as many vids as I can on YouTube. It's really hard to tell how it sounds on the videos and especially volume is difficult to tell. I really like the sound of the loudmouth, though. It's got that classic deep rumble I'm looking for, but I think it's too loud for me. I really wanted to like the flowmasters, but for some reason I just didn't love the sound of them . Also I drive about 150 miles back and forth I65 a lot, so I'd like to keep drone to a minimum.

Any suggestions on what might sound like the loudmouth but a bit quieter? Some of the suitcase deletes sounded pretty good, but again hard to tell from a sound clip. And I like some of the corsa systems, but I'm looking more in the $500 or so range.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
SLP LM2? Try that one

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe others can comment on this, but I've heard the drone on LM2 is really bad cause there's no resonators on them. I'd be down with them, but being in that 70-80 range for hours at a time might start to suck.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have the LM2 on my R/T and the drone with MDS activated is bad inside the cabin.

I turned off my MDS with a Predator so the drone is gone and it sounds really good, but the dead is only awoken at WOT and not at idle like the LM1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it sounds really good, but the dead is only awoken at WOT and not at idle like the LM1
that's what I'm looking for. So you're not getting much drone with the MDS off? A lot of people talk about drone but don't say whether they have the MDS off or not. I don't have a problem with throwing it in auto-man mode when I'm cruising if that'll stop all the drone.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yes. Disabling or bypassing with autostick eliminates the drone.

Sent from my KFTT using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,813 Posts
I've had the Magnaflow, Borla, Flowmasters and now the SLP LM2 on my car.

Exhausts in increasing order of magnitude in sound and drone:

Magnaflow: WAY too quiet, no drone. Better than stock, better than brylcreem.

Borla: louder, some drone.

Flowmasters: awesome sound, killer drone with no resos. I added a 18" body round muffler and some tips. Great, very little drone.

SLP LM2 (might as well be straight pipe): louder than flowmasters, sounds great about 3k rpms. Drone is worse than Flowmasters. 14" pypes race pro round muffler ordered for a resonator, with cool tips. (about $200 with shipping and 4 clamps from summit)

You'd need to cut the pipe, weld a bent rod for the isolators/mounts onto the muffler body... well equipped home shop or muffler shop can handle this.

Cutting out MDS is only a partial relief, and does little for any rear seat occupants. You need some type of resonator to eliminate drone.

I also have no cats, so the sound is borderline obnoxious with the straight up SLP LM2 and no resos.

FWIW, I have a nearly new Magnaflow for sale. Stainless and shiny.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've had the Magnaflow, Borla, Flowmasters and now the SLP LM2 on my car.

Exhausts in increasing order of magnitude in sound and drone:

Magnaflow: WAY too quiet, no drone. Better than stock, better than brylcreem.

Borla: louder, some drone.

Flowmasters: awesome sound, killer drone with no resos. I added a 18" body round muffler and some tips. Great, very little drone.

SLP LM2 (might as well be straight pipe): louder than flowmasters, sounds great about 3k rpms. Drone is worse than Flowmasters. 14" pypes race pro round muffler ordered for a resonator, with cool tips. (about $200 with shipping and 4 clamps from summit)

You'd need to cut the pipe, weld a bent rod for the isolators/mounts onto the muffler body... well equipped home shop or muffler shop can handle this.

Cutting out MDS is only a partial relief, and does little for any rear seat occupants. You need some type of resonator to eliminate drone.

I also have no cats, so the sound is borderline obnoxious with the straight up SLP LM2 and no resos.

FWIW, I have a nearly new Magnaflow for sale. Stainless and shiny.
How much for this Magnaflow that you speak of? :) I'm looking for something that's gives me just a little more than the stock system, but nothing too outrageous. I don't do too much long distance driving, but if my girlfriend and I go on road trips, we take my car. I'd hate to have to deal with that for 500+ miles at a time... Also, where in Upstate, NY? Feel free to PM me with details.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have had the LMIIs for a couple years. Drone is only bad when cruising on the highway on slight uphill grades. On flat ground it's fine...almost goes silent. But like the others said, it goes away completely with MDS off. Nothing sounds better for anywhere near the same $$.

·
Registered
39 Posts
CherryBomb Vortex catback. It's relatively cheap and the drone isn't bad if it exists on the highway. Sounds good when started and loud when you get on it. Definitely hear it coming but not overly loud. I've had it for 2 years and it's still sounding good. Highly recommend. It does have a tendency to find the interior trim parts that are loose causing them to buzz/rattle at 2k rpm, but again, not annoying.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Hope im not too late for this one...
What sounds like SLP loudmouth but not so...loud?
My arse after beans! Rofl! Sorry i had to!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts