Charger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this has already been covered, then please smack me. I am contemplating changing tires/rims on my 2007 Sxt. It has stock 17" rims which I don't mind....but boy do those wheel wells look empty! What size should I get, and tire size. I know not how to convert the 215/65/17's to a larger rim size and keep to where it won't cause damage/hit any of the suspension. I have a predator so if i remember right i can change tire size in there to compensate for the speedometer. I don't want anything to flashy, as i'm not as young as i used to be. Also like something a little wider. Compared to my GTP these things look like spare tires!!!

Thanks!
tim

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
If this has already been covered, then please smack me. I am contemplating changing tires/rims on my 2007 Sxt. It has stock 17" rims which I don't mind....but boy do those wheel wells look empty! What size should I get, and tire size. I know not how to convert the 215/65/17's to a larger rim size and keep to where it won't cause damage/hit any of the suspension. I have a predator so if i remember right i can change tire size in there to compensate for the speedometer. I don't want anything to flashy, as i'm not as young as i used to be. Also like something a little wider. Compared to my GTP these things look like spare tires!!!

Thanks!
tim
Every 1" added in rim size will take up 1/2" wheel opening clearance. Every 25mm increase in width adds about 1/2" (divide mm by 25.4 to get inches) on each side to the width of the tire if the aspect ratio remains the same. In your case, the aspect ratio of 65 means the sidewall is 65% of the width. So a 215/65 has a width of 215 mm (8.46") and side wall height of 139.75 mm (5.5"). If you go to a 235/65 the width is 235 mm (9.25") and the side wall is 152.75 mm (6") and so on...

Just figure out how much clearance you want to take up and you can calculate what you need to do it.

On an SXT I wouldn't go wider than about 235 to maintain overall turning clearance. Maybe 245 but I'd have it fit tested first. Most tire shops will do this and try different sizes in the shop as long as you don't drive on them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2006 sxt and run on 255/45/R20 very well, no problems at all at any speed, turn ratio doesn't seem to be increased. Any larger than 20" I think is just too much, I will have to reduce speed at any dent on the pavement.

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts

Thanks!
tim

FYI, stock Dodge Chargers come with 17", 18" or 20" wheels, depending on the model.

You could always look in the for sale section and look for someone selling their wheels that they upgraded from.

I am thinking of doing the same thing, as mine also came with the 17" rims.

I would definately love to go with the 20" SRT rims!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts