Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought my first car ever last month, after years of saving up for it.
Bought a 2013 Dodge Charger from the Massachusets state police that only had 22K miles on it.
It is the 5.7L Hemi inside of the Police-Mod R/T.
Meaning I have a tighter suspension, bigger brakes, and the 5A transmission shifter is Ram-style (on my steering column rather than center-console) which I love since I learned to drive in a Ram-1500.

I immediately ripped out the rusty old exhaust, and spent $2,800 on a
K&N Cold Air Intake
BBK Longtube Headers (Stainless steel with ceramic coat, custom order)
BBK X-Pipe
A pair of Flowmasters
a complete oil changeout to performance synthetic, and a new oil filter.
16 Split-tip sparkplugs
and some random electrical wiring and hose fraying fixes.
Also started putting 93 octane fuel in it, since police ran it on 85.
The tires are still decently treaded so havent changed those out yet.
I honestly still don't know much about cars, I only got my license this year as well.
I don't want to do anything cosmetic to it yet, i think it looks fine, but I can't figure out what to do next.
Any suggestions?
edit***I'll upload hood & underside pics tomorrow if you wanna see

Attachments

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I would remove the "snowplow" (seriously, that thing is huge!) and the spotlight...that is unless you like being mistaken for Law Enforcement.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A tuner is always a great thing to have. I have a trinity tuner and they have a few canned tunes you can throw onto your car to give it a little boost.

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Bought my first car ever last month, after years of saving up for it.
Bought a 2013 Dodge Charger from the Massachusets state police that only had 22K miles on it.
It is the 5.7L Hemi inside of the Police-Mod R/T.
Meaning I have a tighter suspension, bigger brakes, and the 5A transmission shifter is Ram-style (on my steering column rather than center-console) which I love since I learned to drive in a Ram-1500.

I immediately ripped out the rusty old exhaust, and spent $2,800 on a
K&N Cold Air Intake
BBK Longtube Headers (Stainless steel with ceramic coat, custom order)
BBK X-Pipe
A pair of Flowmasters
a complete oil changeout to performance synthetic, and a new oil filter.
16 Split-tip sparkplugs
and some random electrical wiring and hose fraying fixes.
Also started putting 93 octane fuel in it, since police ran it on 85.
The tires are still decently treaded so havent changed those out yet.
I honestly still don't know much about cars, I only got my license this year as well.
I don't want to do anything cosmetic to it yet, i think it looks fine, but I can't figure out what to do next.
Any suggestions?
edit***I'll upload hood & underside pics tomorrow if you wanna see
Welcome to the forums and also your first car. My first car was also a Charger...1969 383 4 bbl car.

You can run the 89 octane fuel and add ACES IV to your fuel. It will produce the power value of 102 octane and give detergency, ignition improving and lubricity to the cylinders. Good to get it at the 22k mile range. When you are done with your first oil change....a flush if you will....contact us and we will put a really great QuantumBlue Custom Blend in there. You can run it 12k miles the first time and most likely 15k after that...depending on oil analysis.

Here is what we have done for other Charger owners:

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158448

Great to have you here and thanks for posting the pictures!:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Do a quick search on octane. You need to run the correct fuel for your tune. Octane is about compressibility and resistance to detonation.
The most bang for the buck is to get a diablo sport tuner. Change out your rear gears. Not sure what the stock police rear is but I switched to 3:73 rear and it makes the car way more fun. You need the tuner to change the gear ratio in the tcm.

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
You don't need to over compensate the octane because the police under compensated. Use the correct Octane for your engine, 89. If you want to use premium, that's fine but you will need a Diablo tune for it. There's a thread on here that seems to indicate if you use a higher octane you could actually lose some HP. Don't know how accurate that is, but if nothing else, you're wasting $$ by buying higher octane than you can use.

As for what to mod first, I'd say remove the spotlight.

Second, it'll cost some bucks, but new wheels.

Something else is that console, or the missing console. I'd replace it. I know you have the shifter on the steering wheel and you like it, but not having the console looks like it was stolen. You could fill in the shifter area with some sort of cover or maybe fill in the area with some sort of storage box? You'd probably have to fabricate it with plastic and fiberglass, but it would be worth it to me.

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
You want the lowest octane fuel you can get without detonation. You want to balance the needs of the engine with the octane value you introduce.

But besides that you also want to increase the amount of BTU release. It isn't how much fuel you put into the engine but how much work or kinetic energy is used to move the car. The more you get out of the fuel per fuel charge the more power you will get.

Also there is no lubricity in the fuel for the upper cylinders. This is why I suggested the ACES IV because it not only releases more power per fuel charge but also lubricates the cylinders to the point of reducing ring and bore wear by 6 times, stem and guide wear by 4 times and 5 times less valve damage.

Also addresses the "Hemi Tick" that all these engines have!:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
A tuner is always a great thing to have. I have a trinity tuner and they have a few canned tunes you can throw onto your car to give it a little boost.
I got the parts installed now, and yes i badly need to tune it. But how do i go about doing that? I dont want a factory-stock tune. Do i buy the diablo gameboy looking thing, and then select the options for what i modded?

You don't need to over compensate the octane because the police under compensated. Use the correct Octane for your engine, 89. If you want to use premium, that's fine but you will need a Diablo tune for it. There's a thread on here that seems to indicate if you use a higher octane you could actually lose some HP. Don't know how accurate that is, but if nothing else, you're wasting $$ by buying higher octane than you can use.

As for what to mod first, I'd say remove the spotlight.

Second, it'll cost some bucks, but new wheels.

Something else is that console, or the missing console. I'd replace it. I know you have the shifter on the steering wheel and you like it, but not having the console looks like it was stolen. You could fill in the shifter area with some sort of cover or maybe fill in the area with some sort of storage box? You'd probably have to fabricate it with plastic and fiberglass, but it would be worth it to me.
Yes, definitely need black wheels. Center console i'm trying to figure out but haven't thought of anything yet.

Sorry i've been extremely busy with work, my chief has been putting me under alot of pressure, and havent found time to use the computer.
I've got the new system in, my old exhaust is sitting under my bed in the barracks room.
How do i go about tuning my car?
I have the money for that Diablo ECM Tuner thing that looks like a fancy Gameboy
What do i do after i buy that thing though is what i can't figure out?
Do i have to play with it myself? Or can i take it to somebody and have them make me a correct setting/tune that accounts for my longtubes and flowmasters and coldintake?
also enjoy the pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went to High Horse Performance for my tune they are located in Delaware. They were reasonable in price and great with my car when I got there. I did a DYNO tune there are different types ones they can just email to you or an actual custom tune. Below is their website specifically for tuning. The link itself is for 2006-2010 Chargers but you can just go on there and change the year. Not sure how far they are from you but I hope this helps. If not they are a great place to get anything you need from along with the tuner. Call them up and talk to them about which tuner you will need. Everyone will have differing opinions on here but they can possibly better judge what would be best for you. Hope this helps!
http://www.highhorseperformance.com/category_s/10021.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, i'll have to take leave to drive from CT to DE, but I love the fact that they're familiar with Dodge/Chrysler. I shot em an email with my situation

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Thanks, i'll have to take leave to drive from CT to DE, but I love the fact that they're familiar with Dodge/Chrysler. I shot em an email with my situation
Seriously, think about using ACES IV in the fuel. It produces power from pump gas like racing fuels! Will really support your tunes!

Like this: Racing Fuel in a 598 V8 vs 91 octane fuel + ACES IV on a dyno

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213993

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts