Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run an AFE CAI and Borla exhaust. What is usually the next mod people do for max hp gain? Headers, diablo..?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
DIABLO.
then headers/high flow cats, at the same time

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
everyone seems to be all about the Diablo, guess I should give it a shot. What is the best price people have found online?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
im gonna go ahead and say between 320-350. however im not sure if you can get a price like that anymore. those were during group purchases.

20 horsepower --- 400 bucks (diablo)
15-20 hp-- 1300-2000$$ (headers/highflows)
40 hp-- 1700$$(cam)

oh, and thats the order you should do your next performance mods in too, btw ;)
get my drift? bang for the buck, a diablo is the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not to get off topic, but should i do the 180tstat before the diablo or does that not really matter

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
doesnt really matter. its only like 10 or 15 bucks anyway. i just went in, swiped the plastic and didnt look back ;) 15 bucks to help in houston heat is always worth it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i hear some people say that it throws codes, some people it doesnt. Are these just random isolated cases or does getting the lower tstat throw codes. I just didnt know if it was worth risking codes for something that doesnt really do that much

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
You should get diablo first, then longtube headers then heads/cam.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
the reason it might throw a code is if your car does not reach a certain temp within like.. 5 mins of startup or something.

this is isolated to people using 170's and 160's. only a few have had this with a 180, but these people tend to live in very cold climates, and only have it happen when they baby it around in cold weather. if they gas it around then they say they do fine.

i think its if ur ar does not reach 185 degrees engine temp after 5 mins of operating it can throw a code. i have never had this happen to me with a 180.

a tstat does not force your car to run at 180 degrees. it only opens your coolant valve at 180, and begins to cool your engine sooner, rather than at 202 degrees, which is the stock thermostat setting.

your car will eventually reach them same temp as it does now, it may just take a bit longer.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so if a code is thrown because youre car doesnt reach 180 in a few minutes, will it eventually turn the code off once it does? Also is there a difference in brand of thermostats? some people have the jet others have autozone brand, does it really matter?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
the jet guys are stealing your money. they autozone brand is the same damn thing. they all are as far as i kno.

i think the code will cause a "check engine light" until you turn your car off, and then it wont be on when u restart, and will only come back on if it happens again, however, it will be stored in the cars computer. unless you have a tuner to clear it.

i think? correct me on that last paragraph people, cuz im not quite sure

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the only thing i would be worried about is the dealer giving you crap and not warrantying something becuase they see you have codes due to an aftermarket tstat. Does the predator clear codes or do you need an ODB reader for that

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
im not sure if the pred can clear codes yet. but it will be able to im pretty sure. teh superchips can tho.

and even then. they cant void your warranty unless they can prove that the problem that they are sposed to fix is DIRECTLY caused by the aftermarket item in question.

its written in the US Law, and there is nothing they can do about it.

basically u can try a different dealer if one is gonna be lame about it(which most wont unless its serious modification, which a tstat isnt) or you can tell em your gonna sue em. hehe

either way. i wouldnt be worried

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I run a 180 t stat in vegas and have had codes when the weather dropped under 65 with all freeway driving. The Autozone brand (Valucraft) contains a Motorad t-stat. It runs about 15.99. You can buy a cheapy OBDII reader and eraser from Autozone for $70.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
sidenote:
tby. that picture of you looking back over your shoulder makes me chuckle almost every tiem i see it.

now we continue with our regularly scheduled programming

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok so tstat, then diablo, then heads/cats. Damn it i said I wouldnt mod my new car when i got one, that I would just leave it alone....great to see that worked out as planned...:devil:

·
Registered
928 Posts
dyno gains from what people are seeing. its looking like 20-25 depending on mods and about 35 with a custom tune.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Where did you get that number from?

edit----

the HP number
from dyno charts that have been posted.
im using the number 20 as a typical, just because i havent seen anyone dyno below 20, and ive heard reports of people seeing quite a bit over 30, especially with custom tunes as OSU said.

i try to be conservative with estimated hp gains because its really ****ty to read that your gonna get 25 hp on the box of a CAI and 20 hp from a catback.

so that said, i think 20 is a pretty conservative number, as most cars looking for performance generally have at LEAST a CAI as well, and the more mods. the more hp from a predator.

if i get a couple mins ill see if i cant get my fingers on a pred dyno chart or a testimonial.

*****8edited******
note posts 1 and 6. in post 6 the guy shaves over .4 seconds of his quarter mile. thats just. wow.
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=84227

custom tuned dyno from car with cam/fullexhaust/intake
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=83993

post 7
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=83588

1 - 20 of 20 Posts