Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using the meguires hot rims cleaner and it just does not seem to get that really baked on brake dust. Any suggestions?
thanks,
spittle

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Turtle Wax F21.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I only use Dawn liquid soap and water on rims that are cool to the touch. I've used Simple Green before with success for what you describe.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I've just been using car wash soap and a sponge or rag. I used a couple of different wheel cleaners on my old car and after a couple of years the clear coat on the rims started to look really crappy, so I just use good old soap now.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Soap and water followed by wax, anything else is too agressive for the clear coat. In time the cleaner will have your clear coat peeling

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

Well soap and wate is not enough so I will try the mean green because I have that already at least to get the real thick stuff and then I guess I will try some wax.
Thanks,
spittle

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
which car wash soap do you use

I use the Mr. Clean auto dry system and I have used to for a couple of years now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've heard bad things about McGuire's wheel cleaner. It strips the clear coat off your rim and then you have big BIG problems. I use mother's powerball mini with aluminum rim cleaner. You can find it at Wal-Mart and Target I believe, and most all car part shops. It's a great product that nearly does away with elbow grease. The foam ball attaches to the end of your drill and it does all the work for you. It's about $20.

http://www.mothers.com/products/productcatalog/power_prod.html

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I use invisible glass...the same **** I use ont he windows. A wax here and there like everyone else mentioned as well..

·
Registered
831 Posts
Now only soap and water, used Meguiars Hot Rim cleaner and Teflon by Dupont. Between 1 of the 2 they made the clearcoat on my rims peel-trust me it was an ugly sight. IMO only use soap and water, that does a good job as well.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I have one of those powerballs so I may have to try that and I have used that glass cleaner before. Thanks again for the input.
thanks,
spittle

·
Registered
831 Posts
X3 for the Powerball, that thing works wonders

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
awesome, I'm gonna get a powerball. I wondered if they worked
Anybody use the big powerball?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I actually have the big one and need to get the small one but they work great!!!
thanks,
spittle

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Sounds like I need to stop using Eagle One tire and weel cleaner and go to soap and water. I bought a power ball a little while back, but haven't used it yet. Sounds like a good time to start!!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
great!! My husbands drill is in Mississippi

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I actually won a drill at the last car show that I went to. It was a door prize. I was like what the hell am I going to do with this now I have a use for it...lol.
thanks,
spittle

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
I've heard bad things about McGuire's wheel cleaner. It strips the clear coat off your rim and then you have big BIG problems.
Now only soap and water, used Meguiars Hot Rim cleaner and Teflon by Dupont. Between 1 of the 2 they made the clearcoat on my rims peel-trust me it was an ugly sight. IMO only use soap and water, that does a good job as well.
x 2 on the Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel cleaner :no:

I used that on my Daytona wheels for a year and just had all 4 replaced because the clear coat was peeling as well as the powder-coating was coming off. Its not a bad cleaner just too strong for the factory wheels.

I am trying a new Meguiar's product called Quik Wheel Detailer. I will report back on how it is working. It is a much milder formula than the previously mentioned product.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts