Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I've just been using car wash soap and a sponge or rag. I used a couple of different wheel cleaners on my old car and after a couple of years the clear coat on the rims started to look really crappy, so I just use good old soap now.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Soap and water followed by wax, anything else is too agressive for the clear coat. In time the cleaner will have your clear coat peeling

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've heard bad things about McGuire's wheel cleaner. It strips the clear coat off your rim and then you have big BIG problems. I use mother's powerball mini with aluminum rim cleaner. You can find it at Wal-Mart and Target I believe, and most all car part shops. It's a great product that nearly does away with elbow grease. The foam ball attaches to the end of your drill and it does all the work for you. It's about $20.

http://www.mothers.com/products/productcatalog/power_prod.html

·
Registered
831 Posts
Now only soap and water, used Meguiars Hot Rim cleaner and Teflon by Dupont. Between 1 of the 2 they made the clearcoat on my rims peel-trust me it was an ugly sight. IMO only use soap and water, that does a good job as well.

·
Registered
831 Posts
X3 for the Powerball, that thing works wonders

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
I've heard bad things about McGuire's wheel cleaner. It strips the clear coat off your rim and then you have big BIG problems.
Now only soap and water, used Meguiars Hot Rim cleaner and Teflon by Dupont. Between 1 of the 2 they made the clearcoat on my rims peel-trust me it was an ugly sight. IMO only use soap and water, that does a good job as well.
x 2 on the Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel cleaner :no:

I used that on my Daytona wheels for a year and just had all 4 replaced because the clear coat was peeling as well as the powder-coating was coming off. Its not a bad cleaner just too strong for the factory wheels.

I am trying a new Meguiar's product called Quik Wheel Detailer. I will report back on how it is working. It is a much milder formula than the previously mentioned product.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.