Charger Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was washing the car and didnt know if my order was similiar to others.

When are people using the clay, after they thoroughly wash and dry the car and before waxing?

How often are people claying? I have the Ice clay which comes with some pre-cleaner (which I dont use) and a spray, but the spray seems like it would go fast. i have heard a littel dawn and water with the clay works well. What process are people using?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
My process is interior, wheels and wheel wells, body, then the engine bay... I touch up any water spots left over.

As far as the clay bar goes depends when I feel the need to do it. If I've driven lots (especially highway driving) I'll do it maybe once a month... But I usually do the old plastic bag trick and run it over the car to see how bad it is... Otherwise I only do it before I'm going to wax which is maybe 3 times a year depending on how many car shows I go too.

I do like using the detailing spray with the clay bar and really haven't used anything other then that. Usually the amount they give you is enough for the entire body I find. :beerchug:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I always wash top down. Roof and windows, then upper half of body to about the body side moldings. At this point I switch to my other wash mit for the bottom half of the car. Then move to wheels. I normally just wipe down all the jams every time I wash the car and that keep them pretty clean. If I am going to clean the engine bay, I do that first and then let the car run for a few to let it dry followed by washing the car.

I always use the 2 bucket method, one to rinse the mit and one with soap. The mit for the top get demoted to the bottom and from the bottom to the wheels. Keeps scratches to a minimum.

Claying I also do the bag trick. Put your hand in a plastic bag and run it over the paint. If it is smooth and doesnt get hung up then you are fine. If it feels real rough then you need to clay. In that case, I wash, clay, then dry followed by wax.

If in a hurry, I will just pour deionized water on the car after washing as it has no impurities in it and leaves a truely spotless finish. It is a pain lugging buckets from the basement though. (Have a RO/DI water filter for my fish tanks)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, I just wasnt sure if people were washing and drying their cars before they clay. or just rinsing, then clay, then the top down soap wash

·
Registered
142 Posts
ok, I just wasnt sure if people were washing and drying their cars before they clay. or just rinsing, then clay, then the top down soap wash
You want to get as much dirt and grime off as possible before claying, otherwise you are just risking grinding more crap into the clear coat. I don't normally dry before claying as the water can help with lubrication as well. I have been know to just use soap and water instead of detailing spray and thought it worked fine.

Chek out some of Junkmans paint care videos in this section. Great step by step videos.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok yea Im watching his videos now. Is there anyway to do swirl and haze or anything to get the scratches out without a PC?

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I do a full wash before the clay bar, but I don't bother drying it since it's going to get sprayed down anyway to lubricate the clay bar. I don't wash afterwards though.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I always wash top down. Roof and windows, then upper half of body to about the body side moldings. At this point I switch to my other wash mit for the bottom half of the car. Then move to wheels. I normally just wipe down all the jams every time I wash the car and that keep them pretty clean. If I am going to clean the engine bay, I do that first and then let the car run for a few to let it dry followed by washing the car.

I always use the 2 bucket method, one to rinse the mit and one with soap. The mit for the top get demoted to the bottom and from the bottom to the wheels. Keeps scratches to a minimum.

Claying I also do the bag trick. Put your hand in a plastic bag and run it over the paint. If it is smooth and doesnt get hung up then you are fine. If it feels real rough then you need to clay. In that case, I wash, clay, then dry followed by wax.

If in a hurry, I will just pour deionized water on the car after washing as it has no impurities in it and leaves a truely spotless finish. It is a pain lugging buckets from the basement though. (Have a RO/DI water filter for my fish tanks)
You want to get as much dirt and grime off as possible before claying, otherwise you are just risking grinding more crap into the clear coat. I don't normally dry before claying as the water can help with lubrication as well. I have been know to just use soap and water instead of detailing spray and thought it worked fine.

Chek out some of Junkmans paint care videos in this section. Great step by step videos.
Good Lord 06Black, you sound like a "Jr. Junkman"! You have officially snatched the pebble from my hand! Go forth unto the world and save some paint jobs! :bigthumb: :rocker:

ok yea Im watching his videos now. Is there anyway to do swirl and haze or anything to get the scratches out without a PC?
Not unless...

1. You have already corrected your paint with a PC and the only scratches you are picking up are those super fine, micro-scratches that come from wiping on the car when it was slighly dusty, or...
  2. You have the arms of Superman and the speed of Flash Gordon and can simulate the orbital action of a PC with your hands.

For the most part, the answer is yes if you've got an extra lifetime laying around.

As for clay lubricant, I've used a lot of different things and I have never found anything that makes the clay glide across the paint like Adam's Detail Spray. When I'm out at these car shows doing live demonstrations, I do it directly in the hot, blazing sun. All the water and home remedies that work in a cool garage fall by the wayside in this environment. Adam's Detail Spray is all I use now, and I go through it by the gallons.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts

Yes, it does. The 'Mr Clean no-touch' system uses just that - deionized water with a built in filter as a final rinse. My car has never seen a drying towel. Hell I'd recommend that product just for the soap alone.
As to washing order, I do the wheels first with a rag mitt. Then I use a sponge (new every time, not washed) starting with the roof and windows, then hood/grille, then sides, and finally trunk. I always do the rocker panels last, BTW.
Just claybarred for the very first time today (Meguiares with detail spray) - WOW!! On the wax afterwards, there was almost no dirt on either the applicator pad or the wipe cloth. I usually have to use 2 each because they get so dirty.
Took me four hours all told, and the finish looks brand new. Stuff on the rear quarters that i thought was 'baked in' came right off with the claybar. Lotsa work, worth every second of it!!
Mucho happy camper here!!! :banana:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I Do the tires and rims first, then the body and then the fender wells, dry it and the interior and tire dressing. I've been using a product called turbo wax for a yr now and haven't had to Clay bar in that amount of time. Great stuff and very easy to use.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I start off with the wheels and tires. Use the foam gun on them, let the soap loosen the dirt, then wash the wheel and fender well with a MF towel. After done with the wheels, I spray down the entire body with foam gun to again loosen the dirt. Then using a two bucket system and a wash mit, I wash the entire body. Once I'm done washing I pool all the water then use a leaf blower to dry. Then last thing to do is wash the windows. As for the claying, I check at three month intervals, when I go to remove the old wax and apply a new layer.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
I will go to the local touch free wash get tge SUPER DUPER AMAZING WASH for like 7$ and then dry the car in the parking lot. Then I go home and I've been using
meguires spray wax one section at a time. I lay a nice even coat of wax and then polish it all off with a fresh towell, repeat for each pannel. I usally spend 1hr or so just waxing but when it's done the car is like a black mirror.

Example of hrs worth of waxing/polishing

then I will do all the windows/mirrors with eagle1. I do tge rims, wheels, and wheel wells last.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I went through one of those $7 washes one time, paint came out completely swirled from the molding down. Never again will I ever use one.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
Touchless. It's just high pressure water jets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts