Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Dodge Charger 2.7 engine base modle with 115,xxx miles on it. I've used Castrol GTX High mileage part synthetic 5-20 before.

Lately when i take it to get an oil change i've been asking them to put in high mileage oil. The last time i went to get an oil change, the sticker says they put Shell 5-20 in it which is neither High mileage or full synthetic.

My oil needs to be topped of right now cause of a leaking oil pan. I have a quart of synthetic 5-20 Mobil1 oil sitting next to me.

My question is what it the best type of oil to use on my vehicle. Should i use full synthetic on use High Mileage?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
First I would consider replacing the oil pan gasket and stop the leak. Using anything other than a good standard oil is just a waste of money until you stop draining it away.

On a 2.7L engine with over 115k miles, I would just use a good top shelf oil and replace it at recommended intervals. No real reason to use synthetic at this point in the engine life and high mileage oils are just intended to swell the seals and keep them from seeping. You are past that point with your leaking pan gasket and they really won't help.

As far as high-tech oils, most of them (like synthetics) are designed for long change intervals and you will be defeating their purpose by leaking the oil out and regularly topping it off.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Use Quantum Blue motor oil. PM Brian @ 370HEMI. You won't be disappointed!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
909 Posts
For a 2.7? Any oil will be fine. That engine was made to run on regular nothing special oil. At this point in it's life with that many miles, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Vendor
10,364 Posts
I have a 2006 Dodge Charger 2.7 engine base modle with 115,xxx miles on it. I've used Castrol GTX High mileage part synthetic 5-20 before.

Lately when i take it to get an oil change i've been asking them to put in high mileage oil. The last time i went to get an oil change, the sticker says they put Shell 5-20 in it which is neither High mileage or full synthetic.

My oil needs to be topped of right now cause of a leaking oil pan. I have a quart of synthetic 5-20 Mobil1 oil sitting next to me.

My question is what it the best type of oil to use on my vehicle. Should i use full synthetic on use High Mileage?
Ddaddy is correct here. First thing to do is get the oil pan gasket replaced.

Remember that high mileage oils cause the seals to swell and then get hard causing them to eventually crack, split and then pour oil out.

Here is something I wrote in the middle of last month on High Mileage Oils:

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240681

The 2.7L in 2006 was supposed to have 5w20 as you stated. We never put that in these cars as it is too thin for long term protection. Since you have a higher milage car, we would make you a 8.5w35 HP Competition Formula QuantumBlue Custom Blend that would condition the seals and help them be more plyable....which you want to help it stay sealed. We have even been able to soften and condition seals that have had high mileage oils introduced to them.

We would make you 2 gallons of QuantumBlue Custom blend and provide a QuantumBlue Ultra HP Oil Filter to go with it.

This month, you get the 2 gallons and we will provide for you a lifetime supply of filters....as long as you continue to purchase our lubricants.

We put up a special yesterday under the BND Automotive section of the vendor forum.

Get the pan replaced and we can help you from there.:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I've been using Amsoil.

I'll probably go back to Quantum Blue when I'm next due for an oil change

Very smart decision in going back to Quantum Blue.

Reactions: Hell Driver

·
Vendor
10,364 Posts
I've been using Amsoil.
I'll probably go back to Quantum Blue when I'm next due for an oil change
We would welcome you back! Also remember that this month we have the lifetime oil filter offer. Buy the two gallons of oil and get a free filter for life every time you buy our 2 gallons of engine oil!:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts