Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was going to autozone to buy some oil my freind was saying get castrol and was like ok then my other freind says get mobil 1 or w.e its 13 bucks a QUART i was wtf castrol is 369 what do u guys buy and what oil filter u guys use?

do u use syn or no

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I use mobil 1 synthetic. I get it for $6 a quart and put in 7.5 quarts. Anyway whichever oil you get make sure it's 5-w20. That's what our Hemi's are designed to use.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just get a 5w20.

I refuse to believe there is much difference between synthetics. You will be fine if you use Castrol Syntec, Valvoline Synpower or any other.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if u guys were me what oil would u get?

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
if u guys were me what oil would u get?
There's certainly a Walmart within an easy drive of the Bronx. You can pick up 5qt containers of Mobil1 5W-20 for about $24. Get two of those (you'll need 7qts for a 5.7L so you'll have a skosh left over). Then find a Napa auto parts nearby. There's one on GunHill Rd, I think, but that's not too close. Check their web site for a closer location. Come to think of it, there's one just inside New Rochelle on Rt. 1 too. Anyway, get a Napa Gold filter for your engine. Those are made by Wix (awesome filters). Then dump the oil, change the filter and pour in the synthetic goodness. :)

Best,

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I use Mobil 1 oil and filter. Nothing but the best (which is why I dont use wix lol sorry napa lovers)

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I use Mobil 1 oil and filter. Nothing but the best (which is why I dont use wix lol sorry napa lovers)
That's OK. Mobil1 filters are actually made by Champion Labs...the same company that makes most of the $1-2 filters for most large quickie lube chains in the country. I think the only difference is the filter media. Knock yourself out. :)

Best,

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
That's OK. Mobil1 filters are actually made by Champion Labs...the same company that makes most of the $1-2 filters

Best,
Correct, Champ labs makes many lines, including Fram as I recall, STP, and more than a few others. Indeed the filter material quality and amount of filter medium is the only difference other than burst strengths. WIX is not a filter I am afraid to endorse, as opposed to Fram which is IMHO a well marketted POS.
I love Mobil 1 because in nearly 600K miles that I have put on all the POS cars I've owned, I have never had to do work between the valve covers and oil pan on any car that I had those products in, and usually that is with 8-10K change intervals.
Sorry Ritz just had to bust yer bolls there before ;)

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
That's OK. Mobil1 filters are actually made by Champion Labs...the same company that makes most of the $1-2 filters for most large quickie lube chains in the country. I think the only difference is the filter media. Knock yourself out. :)

Best,
Yes, but Mobil 1 has very high specs. for there filter.

http://corolland.com/oil-filters.html

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
do i even need an oil change i have the car for 3 months and have 3200 miles on it ppl now saying i can wait till 5000

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
For the first change do it NOW. While the engine breaks in there are far more blowby gasses which quickly degrade the oil. The first oil change is crucial. Stop waiting! Go change it!

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
I'd do it now. Most go 3000m, but it depends on your driving conditions

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i'd get castrol syntech or full synthetic. thats what i've been using on all my vehicles and i think its the best

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Correct, Champ labs makes many lines, including Fram as I recall, STP, and more than a few others. Indeed the filter material quality and amount of filter medium is the only difference other than burst strengths. WIX is not a filter I am afraid to endorse, as opposed to Fram which is IMHO a well marketted POS.
I love Mobil 1 because in nearly 600K miles that I have put on all the POS cars I've owned, I have never had to do work between the valve covers and oil pan on any car that I had those products in, and usually that is with 8-10K change intervals.
Sorry Ritz just had to bust yer bolls there before ;)
Well, at least we both agree that Fram filters are a POS. :)

Cheers,

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
do i even need an oil change i have the car for 3 months and have 3200 miles on it ppl now saying i can wait till 5000
Change it now. I like to get the first change done 2000-2500 miles. Then I do whatever keeps me within my warranty. When the warranty is up I go to 7500 mile intervals.

Best,

·
Registered
860 Posts

You live in the city and that is regular 5w20 in your engine. Should get an oil change every 3 months or 3k miles. If you use syn. oil than you can go 5-7k with city driving. Now this is just me but using 5w20 is just fine, and you dont need to get syn. oil. You woun't notice the difference and just as long as you stay regular on your oil changes you'll have no problems.:smoke:

·
Registered
990 Posts
No Question..... Royal Purple 5W20 with a K&N filter. Every 3k miles.

My idle oil pressure increased by 6-7 psi, and she feels more responsive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Use Mobile 1 on all my vehicles....1998 Accord (160K) 2002 4x4 F150 (85K) and 2007 Charger. Change on 0 & 5K marks (every 5000 miles) never had any issues oil or engine related.:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts