Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not THAT question...
The question I'm asking relates to firearms - Glock specifically in my case. Anyone have any observations as to what lube seems to work better over another. "Better" being keeps wear down, and doesn't pick up alot of junk while carrying. I've tried CLP, EWL, Rem oil, etc. I don't see much difference - some of that would be long term wear, etc. so I imagine I wouldn't see anything significant in the short term. I've had a guy at a local shop tell me to try grease - frog lube. Not so sure about that. Given the tiny amounts of anything that is left on in the case of Glocks, I'm asking for other's real world results.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you're looking for something to minimize wear and not pick up contaminates, try Eezox:

https://www.eezox.com

Leaves a "dry" finish. Kind of hard to explain, you apply it almost like a wax or a glaze. Great rust preventative.

Other than one or two niche products like this one, seems to me that you can use almost anything...I have friends who swear by Mobil 1 and of course, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than any gun oil. My guess is that just like engine oil, a lot of folks overthink it.

I've never tried SLIP, how did you like it?

·
Registered
143 Posts
In the case of Glocks...It doesn't matter one bit. A Glock requires so little lube by design. And it will run just fine completely dry in most cases as well. You can use spit if you like.
But to answer your question, I use standard Hoppes orange bottle. Never had a problem in my lifetime.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I prefer store-brand cooking oil... whatever competes with Wesson.

(j/k)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the case of Glocks...It doesn't matter one bit. A Glock requires so little lube by design. And it will run just fine completely dry in most cases as well. You can use spit if you like.
But to answer your question, I use standard Hoppes orange bottle. Never had a problem in my lifetime.
I do run mine pretty dry - probably less than a drop on the barrel, bit in the guides, trigger bar / connector, and the other parts discussed in the book.
I've been using bronze brushes on the appropriate parts - both inside and outside the barrel. I found that after the brush treatment a ride in the ultrasonic cleaner - slide, etc disassembled - with purple power followed by a 200 degree bake for a while does a pretty good job. Not quite the dishwasher ride - don't want to be eating leftover lead particles. Dental tools work good on the ramp and other crevices to get the carbon and other goodies out. Figured I'd ask about experiences.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I like Ballistol to clean, lubricate and protect every part of mine. It's been around for over 100 years and is what WD-40 wanted to be like.

·
Super Moderator
11,483 Posts
In before Brian. :locked:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lube for Glock ? Nah..
Well, almost.... It does need a little. This may not be the case if you've done trigger work, but totally clean with no lube, the trigger pull is a bit crunchy. A little on the trigger bar / connector makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Not a big fan of Frog Lube. It gets noticeably tacky over time and makes a real mess. I guess if I was going to store the gun for a long time...maybe, but I wouldn't rely on it for something I might need to use in a hurry. I ended up tossing most of the container I had in the garbage. For my pistols, I use whatever grade of Mobil1 I have laying around. That seems to do a pretty good job when I just wipe on a thin coating on slide rails and other moving parts. I run my AR's wet with Break Free CLP. No appreciable wear on them after a few thousand rounds each.

Best,

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Well, almost.... It does need a little. This may not be the case if you've done trigger work, but totally clean with no lube, the trigger pull is a bit crunchy. A little on the trigger bar / connector makes a world of difference.
I had a Glock 17 for a relatively brief time. I also used M1 for lube which seemed to work well. After about a year and 2k or so rounds through it, I ended up punting it as I could never get comfortable with the way it fit my hand. Replaced it with a Sig P320 romeo and never looked back. :)

Best,

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a Glock 17 for a relatively brief time. I also used M1 for lube which seemed to work well. After about a year and 2k or so rounds through it, I ended up punting it as I could never get comfortable with the way it fit my hand. Replaced it with a Sig P320 romeo and never looked back. :)

Best,
I've got a 17G3, 26G4, and 23G3. I was going to buy a P320. I shot one at Sig days at the range. Then the "drop test" thing happened. Was going to buy a compact when it was on sale at one of the big places. Was dry firing one of them and didn't like the post mod feel. Back to the the range and shot one of their rentals. Felt completely different. That was maybe a year ago, and maybe things have improved. Those were probably already built and the "mods" performed vs. making them from scratch.

Depending on time of year, EDC is the 17 in winter, and 26 with a PMAG 12 GL9. Just enough room for pinkie vs stock. In NC, so whatever fits is OK. Went back to NY to visit family last fall. Had to dig through car to make sure something prohibited didn't get wedged in the seats or something - mags, HP, etc - to avoid transporting there accidentally.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Yeah, I occasionally have to drive through the Peoples Republics of NJ and NY. I don't normally carry so I'm not quite as paranoid, but the penalties for an "oops" in NJ are outrageous.

As for the Glocks...it's a love 'em or hate 'em kinda thing. :)

I've not been able to reproduce the "drop test" on my P320 so I've never sent it in for the mod. I've heard others opine that the mod ruins the trigger feel as well.

Best,

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yep, gun grease. Used it in the service on everything from mounted, shoulder to handguns.

Folks hear gun grease and most have visions of packing a weapon in cosmoline. Just a little dab will do you.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have a Glock 19 and have oiled it maybe 5 times in 5 years. It maybe has 500 rounds through it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a Glock 19 and have oiled it maybe 5 times in 5 years. It maybe has 500 rounds through it.
Seems reasonable. I try to go every weekend if I can. I’ll run maybe 50-100 rounds through each. 17, 23 and intermittently the 26. If I don’t bring an AR.

I’ll scrub, scrape and lube maybe every couple of months. AR of course gets run wet.

·
Vendor
10,315 Posts
No, not THAT question...
The question I'm asking relates to firearms - Glock specifically in my case. Anyone have any observations as to what lube seems to work better over another. "Better" being keeps wear down, and doesn't pick up alot of junk while carrying. I've tried CLP, EWL, Rem oil, etc. I don't see much difference - some of that would be long term wear, etc. so I imagine I wouldn't see anything significant in the short term. I've had a guy at a local shop tell me to try grease - frog lube. Not so sure about that. Given the tiny amounts of anything that is left on in the case of Glocks, I'm asking for other's real world results.
Actually, we have an 1943 M1 Garand, a DPMS AR-15, a Ruger 22 rifle, a 22 Walther and a Ruger 380. We developed an air tool and gun oil that is hydrogen cracked and works extremely well on keeping residues out of the bore and also the mechanisms. Lubricates well in all areas. We do a cleaner that is designed off of ACES IV that gets all the carbon out...best cleaner you ever saw!

The QuantumBlue Anti-Corrosion metal dry lubricant spray also works very well in stopping moisture problems and makes guns stable for long term use without being oily.:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com
Forum Vendor for 10 years.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have been using "RemOil", by Remington. I bought some magazines and some other stuff, including a cleaning kit, from a popular gun website and they included a pouch of the above mentioned oil. Is it "the best"? I don't know about that, but I like it because it comes in little foil packs, like the wetnap things you get at a seafood place to clean your fingers with. This is a cloth-like square saturated with gun oil, not lemon-scented soap. Dismantle yer pistol, wipe down all the parts, reassemble. Toss the square. Done and done. :grin2: I toss a couple in my "go-bag" and a few in my ammo can. Always handy when you need it. Works well with my pistols *and* my shotguns. :bigthumb:

Disclaimer --> I don't have a Glock. I didn't know it took a "special oil", so will be unlikely to purchase one in the future. >:) :biggrinjester:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts