Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade the Continental ContiTouring Contacts that came with my R/T. I will be using the stock 18" rims, and I need all season tires since we get snow here in Maryland. What type of all season tires are you running on your Daytona or R/T?

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Don't have my car yet, but rest assured I'll be using Goodyear's Triple-Tread Assurance tires.

Money can't buy anything better.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I may go with a more agressive "snow" tire as well and i'll take your recommendation Epoch.
Would it be a problem to only use two Goodyears on the rear (and the Michelins up front)
or do I need a set of four to insure no handling issues?

·
Registered
549 Posts
About the only "Good" tires that I found on tirerack.com are these: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...eSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=5#Survey

But they are not the same size that regular R/T's come with though since they are 235/55/VR18's so I am not sure how they will effect your speedometer but they are a size that is listed for a version of the R/T (Daytona or R/T w/ AWT Package) as per Cars.com when you build one online. I do tend to make my purchasing decisions based on other peoples remarks as to how they either loved the tires or really hated them.

Later

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
SRT8Charger07 said:
About the only "Good" tires that I found on tirerack.com are these: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...eSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=5#Survey

But they are not the same size that regular R/T's come with though since they are 235/55/VR18's so I am not sure how they will effect your speedometer but they are a size that is listed for a version of the R/T (Daytona or R/T w/ AWT Package) as per Cars.com when you build one online. I do tend to make my purchasing decisions based on other peoples remarks as to how they either loved the tires or really hated them.

Later
The Daytona's and R/T with Perf. Group package come with Michelin P235/55/18's. Stock R/T's come with Conti's P225/60/18's.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Hemiready said:
I may go with a more agressive "snow" tire as well and i'll take your recommendation Epoch.
Would it be a problem to only use two Goodyears on the rear (and the Michelins up front)
or do I need a set of four to insure no handling issues?
I've been told that you should do all 4 tires if you're going to do the triple-tread. It's such an aggressive tread that ride quality and wear might be affected adversely if you just use two.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Kinda figured that. Thanks Epoch. Its not the money for the 4. I just anticipate some bozo scratching the rims when I go for the tire swap at the beggining and end of winter. I wanted to minimize my exposure!.
You really love those Goodyears huh? I drive a lot during the winter and to me good tires are worth the bucks. I guess I can try the Michelins at the first snowfall and see how I feel about them and then swap out when I'm sliding all over the road!.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Hemiready said:
Kinda figured that. Thanks Epoch. Its not the money for the 4. I just anticipate some bozo scratching the rims when I go for the tire swap at the beggining and end of winter. I wanted to minimize my exposure!.
You really love those Goodyears huh? I drive a lot during the winter and to me good tires are worth the bucks. I guess I can try the Michelins at the first snowfall and see how I feel about them and then swap out when I'm sliding all over the road!.
I know people that have them. They say you can tell a difference immediately, just driving in regular dry traffic. Then you get into a wet-driving situation and realize you can't hardly feel the puddles.

I'm completely biased, so here is a review that isn't:
clicky.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
joescat said:
The Daytona's and R/T with Perf. Group package come with Michelin P235/55/18's. Stock R/T's come with Conti's P225/60/18's.
ANd both are some of the worst performing tires available

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for me

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Epoch:
Are you just going to run the Goodyears all year round?
Sounds like for day to day driving they might be a good idea anyway. I had a small truck that handled like crap in the snow. I went out and out new tires on (Mchelins) even though they did not need them yet. Handled like a new car!

Looks like a lot of those reviews claim there is a harsh ride from these tires?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Tire trade in?

I wonder - when I get my Charger, do tire shops take trade-ins, especially on new tires? I've never even thought about such a thing.
I wonder if my Dodge dealer would put Goodyears on it day one?

Anyone done either? Why stay with the stock tires, when we all know they're crap?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
That's the mistake I made when I bought my car. Forgot to negotiate out the old tires and get a better set.
You might try doing that before the car leaves the store.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Hemiready said:
Epoch:
Are you just going to run the Goodyears all year round?
Sounds like for day to day driving they might be a good idea anyway. I had a small truck that handled like crap in the snow. I went out and out new tires on (Mchelins) even though they did not need them yet. Handled like a new car!
As to whether or not I'll use them all year, I'll say: "Probably". Only reason I wouldn't is that I'm definitely going to get some cheap black steel wheels for the winter, and I might just want to have tires mounted on them all the time so I can slap them on myself in the winter, instead of having to have the 3treads mounted on different rims twice a year (too much money and time).

Looks like a lot of those reviews claim there is a harsh ride from these tires?
Haven't ridden on them myself, can't comment.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Hemiready said:
That's the mistake I made when I bought my car. Forgot to negotiate out the old tires and get a better set.
You might try doing that before the car leaves the store.
About this ...

I've been told that a Goodyear/Gemini store will replace the OEM tires on your new vehicle, under a certain mileage mark, for free.

Heard this from a guy who works for Goodyear. He was told that by guys that worked at a local Gemini when he took his girl's car to get new skins on it.

Don't have a link or the name of the incentive program, sorry ...

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
The steel rims sound good but I'll probbaly just ride these through the winter. Therefore, if I upgrade the tires I'll just keep them on yearound.
Now that Goodyear program sounds REAL interesting.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I just called a local Goodyear. he sounded like he would at least consider a swap and some credit on the Michelins. However, he was not sure of hte triple treads were out in 18's yet. He's supposed to call back.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Just got a call back from Goodyear. He says that the triple treads don't come in 18".

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
For winter time I am going to go with the Pirelli Scorpion package from Tire Rack on different wheels

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Sh!t, forgot to mention that.

I'm so sorry, I knew they weren't available and it completely slipped my mind. Sorry!!!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Don't worry. It gave me something car related to do instead of work :happy:
I figured you are probably getting those steel rims in a size that the tires are available in as well.
Looks like I'm trying the Michelins first.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts