Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, this is my first post here (on my birthday no less...) and I want to get feedback on something. Next week I will be buying my first new car ever, a black 2007 Dodge Charger R/T from Huntington Beach Dodge and I am very excited. However, there is a lot of stuff I want to do to improve my performance such as adding a Magna Flow catback system, K&N air intake system, whipple supercharger, etc. Here is my problem: I don't know where to start. So if you were all in my situation what would you add first? I don't have the money to do everything at one time so I have to do it piece by piece. So what should I do to my Charger first?

Thank you for all your time and I look forward to participating in this great forum. All advice will be seriously considered and I thank you all in advance for any advice you can give this rookie.

PS...This is my first car ever. I have only had trucks all my life so the charger will be a drastic change from what I am used to. Any advice you have regarding the charger will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I would check with CARMAX first to see if you get a better deal...No haggling...I got my SRT there last year for 37K out the door with lo-jack and 100K warranty.

no dealer markups either

There is one in Irvine/Buena park and some other LA locations.

And also ZOOMERS exhaust is located right there close to buena park.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Well my recommendation don't supercharge, apparently there isn't a kit out there that will work safely with our cars. If you can wait and save up some money the best mod you could do is ported/milled heads, and an aggesive cam that will give you plenty of power and will put you right up there with the SRT8s. And final advice would be to consider getting the Road & Track model, if I could do it all over I would get it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Welcome Cali! I'd definitely hold off on a supercharger... you're only asking for problems. Right now, go with a CAI, tuner, and exhaust. When looking at a cam, nitrous, headers, etc., you must consider that you will be voiding your warranty. If you don't care about the warranty... HOOK IT UP!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I would check with CARMAX first to see if you get a better deal...No haggling...I got my SRT there last year for 37K out the door with lo-jack and 100K warranty.

no dealer markups either

There is one in Irvine/Buena park and some other LA locations.

And also ZOOMERS exhaust is located right there close to buena park.
Thanks for the advice. I have been searching everywhere for a good deal on the charger for about almost 8 months. I have used Autobytel, Carsdirect.com, McPeek's Dodge, Fullerton Dodge, Union Dodge, Cerritos Dodge, Huntington Beach Dodge, Tuttle Click Chrysler Jeep Dodge, Tuttle Click Chrysler Jeep Dodge, Urban Chrysler Jeep Dodge, etc. The best price I have gotten so far is from Huntington Beach Dodge. I want to say how much but I am going to wait until I have the keys in my hands. Then I will let you know how much it was but the price is straight out unbeatable.

Once again, thank you very much.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well my recommendation don't supercharge, apparently there isn't a kit out there that will work safely with our cars. If you can wait and save up some money the best mod you could do is ported/milled heads, and an aggesive cam that will give you plenty of power and will put you right up there with the SRT8s. And final advice would be to consider getting the Road & Track model, if I could do it all over I would get it.
Thank you for your advice. I will wait on the supercharger until I can determine that it will be safe for my charger. As for the Road&Track model, unfortunately I cannot get it because in order for me to get the unbeatable price, I have to take delivery before August 31 and the color and options I am getting have been found but not with the Road&Track model along with it. Finally, is there anywhere I can get more info on ported/milled heads and aggressive cams? I am not sure about them and I don't know what model/manufacturer to get or how much they cost along with installation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome Cali! I'd definitely hold off on a supercharger... you're only asking for problems. Right now, go with a CAI, tuner, and exhaust. When looking at a cam, nitrous, headers, etc., you must consider that you will be voiding your warranty. If you don't care about the warranty... HOOK IT UP!!
Thank you for the advice. A cam, nitrous, and headers will void my warranty? Then I don't want them. I cannot afford to void my warranty because I don't know what the car is going to be like in the long run and the warranty is the only protection I have. I have been thinking about a Magna Flow catback system but I don't know what a CAI is and I don't know what a tuner is or does. I will take more time so I can find out about this stuff.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
There is a tread on here from a vender explaining all the details and from what they said the dealership won't be able to visibly tell if there was a cam or head change. I think they are running a deal on heads, the cam of your choice, and the diablo programmer for about 3,000.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If I was you i would do this...

Cold Air Intake 1st.
Headers 2nd.
Cat Back 3rd.
Heads and Cams 4th.
then low end so you can build up for supercharger (maybe some new pistons)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In case anyone cares why I have switched from my truck, I was involved in an accident in January and I totaled my truck and hurt myself badly. I have since healed up but I have taken the bus everywhere for the last 8 months. This car will give me back the freedom to go where I want and when I want. Just getting to work takes me about 2 hours one way on the bus and I have to be there at 6:00 am! In a car it only takes me a half hour. Anyways here is one picture of my truck after the accident. I couldn't take anymore because I was just heartbroken.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a tread on here from a vender explaining all the details and from what they said the dealership won't be able to visibly tell if there was a cam or head change. I think they are running a deal on heads, the cam of your choice, and the diablo programmer for about 3,000.
Thank you for your advice. I will look around at the vendors section and see if I can find the package you have told me about.

Once again, thank you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I was you i would do this...

Cold Air Intake 1st.
Headers 2nd.
Cat Back 3rd.
Heads and Cams 4th.
then low end so you can build up for supercharger (maybe some new pistons)
Thank you for your advice. I appreciate the info so I will start researching headers, heads, and cams so I can have a clue as to what they will do for the charger. As far as the cold air intake and cat back system, I think I have an idea of what brands I want (K&N and Magna Flow).

Once again, thank you.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thank you for the advice. A cam, nitrous, and headers will void my warranty? Then I don't want them. I cannot afford to void my warranty because I don't know what the car is going to be like in the long run and the warranty is the only protection I have. I have been thinking about a Magna Flow catback system but I don't know what a CAI is and I don't know what a tuner is or does. I will take more time so I can find out about this stuff.

Take your time, do your research, listen to the forum members... then you can make some educated decisions. A "CAI" is a Cold Air Intake, and when I said "tuner", I was referring to a Superchips Flashpaq, Diablo, Hypertech, Jet Module, etc. Definitely take a look at a Zoomers cat-back. I'm from San Diego and when I head down next spring (Spring Fling in March), I'm going to swing through Irvine to have APerformance do an install for me. I love my Road and Track, but I had to special order it and wait about 2 months for delivery... it was definitely well worth it. Enjoy your new ride and welcome to the family.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Hello folks, this is my first post here (on my birthday no less...) and I want to get feedback on something. Next week I will be buying my first new car ever, a black 2007 Dodge Charger R/T from Huntington Beach Dodge and I am very excited. However, there is a lot of stuff I want to do to improve my performance such as adding a Magna Flow catback system, K&N air intake system, whipple supercharger, etc. Here is my problem: I don't know where to start. So if you were all in my situation what would you add first? I don't have the money to do everything at one time so I have to do it piece by piece. So what should I do to my Charger first?

Thank you for all your time and I look forward to participating in this great forum. All advice will be seriously considered and I thank you all in advance for any advice you can give this rookie.

PS...This is my first car ever. I have only had trucks all my life so the charger will be a drastic change from what I am used to. Any advice you have regarding the charger will be appreciated.
Firstly - welcome! Then - Happy Birthday! :)

There are many things that you can do to the car to try and increase the performance. However - the rule is (and I have never seen it proven wrong) power costs money! If you don't spend much money, you will not get huge gains.

To start, you have the minor mods - exhaust, intake/filter. Guess these would be your best budget entry into the world of modding for power. However, they don't cost that much and they do not produce huge gains (not by any stretch of the imagination).

Then you could move on to headers and maybe high-flow cats. A little more expensive, with small gains 9the gains will depend on whether you mod the intake and the cat back exhaust system and then go for headers etc, or whether you just get the headers on their own....which won't really make much sense). You could probably add tuners in at this point. Again, the benefits of a tuner would realy only be noticeable with the other slight mods already mentioned.

Then you couls move on to flowed and ported heads. These would add more noticeable power.

Then maybe a hotter cam - you would probably lose the MDS with cams that produce the greatest gains. Also - it's never a free lunch and any gains could be accompanied by losses elsewhere - either in low end grunt, or driveability.

Then maybe Nos (nitrous oxide) for full throttle applications.

Then you've got forced induction - probably the best way to produce more power. And the most expensive. Turbo, or supercharger - I think there are both types of kit available. However, i do not trust these systems yet. There's been too many failures with SC's (not heard much about turbo's).

This is not a complete list and I am sure there are things that I have forgotten. But basically, you get what you pay for! Lots of money - lots of power. However, lots of power, reduced life of the vehicle.

As for warranty - an aftermarket exhaust will kill the warranty for your exhaust. An aftermarket intake will kill the warranty on the intake side of the engine. All other warranty bits should be ok.

Now - the more you mod, the less the warranty is likely to cover. But bear in mind that the manufacturer will try to get out of a warranty claim if they can - and lots of mods give them that excuse.

Put on a tuner, or Nos and you could be asking for warranty problems from all of the engine and the transmission (depends on the warranty claim and what it's going to cost). Put on a supercharger, or turbo and you can prolly say goodbye to the warranty on engine, transmission, rear axle, bearings prop/drive shaft etc etc. Not saying that this will definitely be the case, just that you are allowing more reason for a claim to be rejected.

Guess the rest is up to you - most start with a cat back zorst and an intake. From ther - well - all sorts of things are done!

HTH's

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Take your time, do your research, listen to the forum members... then you can make some educated decisions. A "CAI" is a Cold Air Intake, and when I said "tuner", I was referring to a Superchips Flashpaq, Diablo, Hypertech, Jet Module, etc. Definitely take a look at a Zoomers cat-back. I'm from San Diego and when I head down next spring (Spring Fling in March), I'm going to swing through Irvine to have APerformance do an install for me. I love my Road and Track, but I had to special order it and wait about 2 months for delivery... it was definitely well worth it. Enjoy your new ride and welcome to the family.
Thank you for the advice. So that is what a CAI is? OK, I have been thinking about the K&N CAI because they have a good reputation and have been around for a while. Tuners- those are computer chips that you install and they change all kind of air to fuel mixtures, remove the govner or top speed limit and such? That sounds good to me so I will take a look at some tuners. I will also take my time doing some research and as I said, I will take all of you folks advice very seriously.

Finally, thank you for welcoming me to the family and I hope I get many good years of joy with my new charger. Once again, thank you for the help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Firstly - welcome! Then - Happy Birthday! :)

There are many things that you can do to the car to try and increase the performance. However - the rule is (and I have never seen it proven wrong) power costs money! If you don't spend much money, you will not get huge gains.

To start, you have the minor mods - exhaust, intake/filter. Guess these would be your best budget entry into the world of modding for power. However, they don't cost that much and they do not produce huge gains (not by any stretch of the imagination).

Then you could move on to headers and maybe high-flow cats. A little more expensive, with small gains 9the gains will depend on whether you mod the intake and the cat back exhaust system and then go for headers etc, or whether you just get the headers on their own....which won't really make much sense). You could probably add tuners in at this point. Again, the benefits of a tuner would realy only be noticeable with the other slight mods already mentioned.

Then you couls move on to flowed and ported heads. These would add more noticeable power.

Then maybe a hotter cam - you would probably lose the MDS with cams that produce the greatest gains. Also - it's never a free lunch and any gains could be accompanied by losses elsewhere - either in low end grunt, or driveability.

Then maybe Nos (nitrous oxide) for full throttle applications.

Then you've got forced induction - probably the best way to produce more power. And the most expensive. Turbo, or supercharger - I think there are both types of kit available. However, i do not trust these systems yet. There's been too many failures with SC's (not heard much about turbo's).

This is not a complete list and I am sure there are things that I have forgotten. But basically, you get what you pay for! Lots of money - lots of power. However, lots of power, reduced life of the vehicle.

As for warranty - an aftermarket exhaust will kill the warranty for your exhaust. An aftermarket intake will kill the warranty on the intake side of the engine. All other warranty bits should be ok.

Now - the more you mod, the less the warranty is likely to cover. But bear in mind that the manufacturer will try to get out of a warranty claim if they can - and lots of mods give them that excuse.

Put on a tuner, or Nos and you could be asking for warranty problems from all of the engine and the transmission (depends on the warranty claim and what it's going to cost). Put on a supercharger, or turbo and you can prolly say goodbye to the warranty on engine, transmission, rear axle, bearings prop/drive shaft etc etc. Not saying that this will definitely be the case, just that you are allowing more reason for a claim to be rejected.

Guess the rest is up to you - most start with a cat back zorst and an intake. From ther - well - all sorts of things are done!

HTH's
Thank you for the advice, that is one hell of a post, LOL. I like the idea of doing minor mods first and then moving on into more major mods. It's ok if it doesn't produce major power at first because I know that it will take time (probably a hell of a lot of time) to finish all the mods. I will ask the dealer what things will void the warranty and what things won't so I have a clear idea. I really don't want to lose the MDS because that will save me a lot of money in gas so I will take my time to see if the improvements of certain parts will be worth losing the MDS. Nitrous is out of the question for me because I am too worried that I will blow the motor because I am a rookie.

Anyways, thank you for the advice and I will start looking into what certain mods do and whether or not they are worth it. Once again, thank you.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Thank you for the advice, that is one hell of a post, LOL. I like the idea of doing minor mods first and then moving on into more major mods. It's ok if it doesn't produce major power at first because I know that it will take time (probably a hell of a lot of time) to finish all the mods. I will ask the dealer what things will void the warranty and what things won't so I have a clear idea. I really don't want to lose the MDS because that will save me a lot of money in gas so I will take my time to see if the improvements of certain parts will be worth losing the MDS. Nitrous is out of the question for me because I am too worried that I will blow the motor because I am a rookie.

Anyways, thank you for the advice and I will start looking into what certain mods do and whether or not they are worth it. Once again, thank you.
No worries - it's a very complex subject - LOL.

There are mods which you can do which won't alter any of the warranty - such as the Mopar aftermarket gear (the dealer should be able to help you with that).

·
Registered
298 Posts
Holy cow. Did Arfur just give mod info? (hehe). jk, you're my hero mate!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Holy cow. Did Arfur just give mod info? (hehe). jk, you're my hero mate!
Next we'll catch him doing burnouts and donuts in a desolate parking lot somewhere - right after he disables his traction control.
Arfur gone wild :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts