Charger Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just bought a 06 Charger R/T and it has the ESP button on the dash. Im assuming that it is for traction control and when you press it it disengages it and is it true that pressing the ESP button and holding it for 10 sedonds does something else.

·
Registered
686 Posts
ESP=electronic stability program . its more than traction control . unless you you have an SRT holding it for 10 seconds does nothing . Only the SRT gets to shut it down by doing the 10 second hold

For more info read this and your owners manual

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Stability_Control

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ok I just bought a 06 Charger R/T and it has the ESP button on the dash. Im assuming that it is for traction control and when you press it it disengages it and is it true that pressing the ESP button and holding it for 10 sedonds does something else.
Correct it is for Traction control. Will not fully disable it though. Holding for 10 seconds will do nothing on the RT, only for the SRT will that fully disable ESB/BAS.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Reading the technical manual for the SRT Charger says that depressing the ESP button for 10 seconds only reduces the ESP effect by 80%, so I went and ordered the GSM ESP/Fan mod, now I have a donut everyday.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
It helps you drive like Mario Andretti!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Search up other threads here regarding the ESP Disable at the turn of a key for your R/T. I believe it depends on the actual build date, but essentially if after starting the engine, putting the car in drive and heading down the road (preferably around 20mph) turn the igntion key and hold it to the right for approx 5-7 seconds. Mr Squiggles and the BAS light come on. You will in effect have completely disabled the ESP protocols w/o having to install or purchase an aftermarket mod. As a side note, while you're performing this manuever above, don't be alarmed when your radio and blower fans for the Heat/AC shut off. This is temporary and will come right back on. Speaking of temporary, disabling the ESP in this manner is also a temporary thing. After you shut off the engine, the system "resets" itself. If you want to disable the ESP again, you will have to repeat this process all over again. Hope this is of some help. Remember, depends on your build date for this to work.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm trying to remember if the Predator can disable this completely for the R/T's.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I believe the predator can diable them, however, IIRC the ABS is also turned off along with the ESP, and to me thats a safety line I do not want to cross. I did the RT Junkie no-esp mod and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I'm trying to remember if the Predator can disable this completely for the R/T's.
"ESP Off" is a quick adjust on diablo, when I tried it, my car went in limp mode. I'll stick to using my NOESP mod.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Search up other threads here regarding the ESP Disable at the turn of a key for your R/T. I believe it depends on the actual build date, but essentially if after starting the engine, putting the car in drive and heading down the road (preferably around 20mph) turn the igntion key and hold it to the right for approx 5-7 seconds. Mr Squiggles and the BAS light come on. You will in effect have completely disabled the ESP protocols w/o having to install or purchase an aftermarket mod. As a side note, while you're performing this manuever above, don't be alarmed when your radio and blower fans for the Heat/AC shut off. This is temporary and will come right back on. Speaking of temporary, disabling the ESP in this manner is also a temporary thing. After you shut off the engine, the system "resets" itself. If you want to disable the ESP again, you will have to repeat this process all over again. Hope this is of some help. Remember, depends on your build date for this to work.
Or if you are bored, you can press and hold the break for 5 minutes and it will go off that way

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I believe the predator can diable them, however, IIRC the ABS is also turned off along with the ESP, and to me thats a safety line I do not want to cross. I did the RT Junkie no-esp mod and it works like a charm.
I don't think Predator turns off the ABS or even has an option for that.

·
Registered
928 Posts
no BAS not ABS, the BAS system and the esp are linked, and diablo has confirmed that when you hit the disable esp option it will kill them both.

BAS is the power break assist. not your anitlock breaks.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yes the Predator disables the ABS when you choose to disable the ESP. This has been gone over many times, some will not use it because of that. Personally I don't really care, ABS or not having no ESP system makes my car way more fun. It kills the Brake assist system ( essentially modualtes the antilock brakes in the rear to try and control tire spin), the antilock brakes themselves, as well as all the stability control parameters. Saying this though don't try and rip donuts with all of this stuff off, the car will go into limp mode. Simply because supposedly the yaw sensors are still active and when the recieve no signal response from the rest of the traction control system your car goes into limp mode.

Yes I know this is true, I have a Predator on my SRT8 and have disabled ESP ( ABS, BAS , ESP as well as the brake light (ebrake) all come on. And yeah I spun around and put the car into limp mode. Just shut it off and fired it up again and was good to go.

ESP mode
Enable or disable the ESP (traction control), NOTE: When disabled the ABS, ESP BAS and (Brake) lights will be illuminated and ABS will not be operational

This last statement is off the diablo website under the detailed explanation of the Hemi car tuning parameters.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Yeah ABS is no biggie. People survived just fine without it for 100 years. My Charger is my first car with ABS and I don't like it. I think I could stop shorter by manually pumping the brakes, especially on rough or uneven road surfaces. If I could disable it I would and do some testing.

The only time I think it may help is in the rain, but it never rains here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts