Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone! I'm a salesman for a Dodge dealer here in Wisconsin. I was at a product preview class yesterday and I was talking to a regional trainer for DCX. I asked him what he knew of the Charger. We didn't have much time so he gave me no real details. However, he said it would be "bad-ass" and we wouldn't be disappointed in it's looks. He also confirmed a coupe version with the 6.1L Hemi. That's all I needed to hear. If I never post anything on this board again (and I'm on MoparChat and I have Allpar bookmarked) I wanted you folks to know what I know.

·
Registered
94 Posts
67dartgt360 said:
Hi, everyone! I'm a salesman for a Dodge dealer here in Wisconsin. I was at a product preview class yesterday and I was talking to a regional trainer for DCX. I asked him what he knew of the Charger. We didn't have much time so he gave me no real details. However, he said it would be "bad-ass" and we wouldn't be disappointed in it's looks. He also confirmed a coupe version with the 6.1L Hemi. That's all I needed to hear. If I never post anything on this board again (and I'm on MoparChat and I have Allpar bookmarked) I wanted you folks to know what I know.
Thanks very much for stopping by and sharing!

·
Registered
549 Posts
So am I hearing this correctly there are going to be several different models of the Charger and different LX platforms released at the same time? No wonder there is some confusion as to what exactly the car is going to look like when there are different cars out there on the same chassie. All I want to know is there an option for a standard transmission or is that a pipe dream of mine and I should be happy with the manumatic? On a side note one of my Instructors here at college has an R/T Magnum and he loves the car more then any car he has ever owned and regardless of it not having a manual is still fun to drive because the computer changes the shift points on how you are driving (You guys probably know this already but I though it I would mention it since I think it is cool).

Later

·
Registered
38 Posts
There was an article that in Wards AutoWorld that stated the Charger would eventually be produced with a six speed manual option. I would guess they could use the Viper transmission.

Remember, though, Chrysler had some really bad ass vehicles hooked up to that Torqueflite Automatic in the late sixties and early seventies.

For me though, I love the stick shifts. I own a '92 Duster with the 3.0L V-6 mated with the five speed transmission with a B&M short shifter. The clutch is as heavy as an anvil, but I like being "one with the machine." It also keeps my mind on driving and I get better acceleration off the line. Traffic is a pain in the neck, but those sacrifices must be made!

·
Registered
549 Posts
shelbyduster said:
There was an article that in Wards AutoWorld that stated the Charger would eventually be produced with a six speed manual option. I would guess they could use the Viper transmission.
Oh yeah. Now that's what I'm talking about a 6-speed Viper transmission in a Charger makes me break out in a cold sweat thinking about it...:)

shelbyduster said:
Remember, though, Chrysler had some really bad ass vehicles hooked up to that Torqueflite Automatic in the late sixties and early seventies.
I am well aware that a 3-speed or 4-speed tranny behind a big engine is well worth its weight in gold. My 2.4L turbocharged 1st Gen ACR has a 3-speed A-413 that has been tweeked to act just like a clutchless maunal tranny. Granted the transmission can never shift itself again but oh well.

shelbyduster said:
For me though, I love the stick shifts. I own a '92 Duster with the 3.0L V-6 mated with the five speed transmission with a B&M short shifter. The clutch is as heavy as an anvil, but I like being "one with the machine." It also keeps my mind on driving and I get better acceleration off the line. Traffic is a pain in the neck, but those sacrifices must be made!
Yeah I promised myself that my next car (family car or not) would be a manual transmissioned car. But seeing how the manumatic works and ajusts itself to your aggressive driving I guess I can't really complain if there is no 5 or 6-speed as an option. But a manual would be fun to say the least regardless of the rush hour traffic that will cause you to walk around in circles due to one leg muscle being stronger then the other :) I guess that is a sacrifice I am willing to make to have a manual.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I wouldn't count on seeing a six speed in an LX any time soon.

If they do use the T56 from the Viper there are some cool upgrades coming for it such as the ZeroShift which eliminates the need for the clutch once the car is rolling in 1st. During gear shifts engine power is always being applied through the tranny to the output shaft.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was at another product preview class this morning for the 05 Dakota. I talked to one of the DCX Big Wigs for the Midwest Business Center who actually saw the Charger. He tells me that aside from minor details, the C&D rendering IS the Charger. This goes along with the pics from the Nascar tire tests. The grille matches and so does the rear quarter window shape. The light indents are for downforce, and they were just grafted onto an "Intrepid" body to test the aero effects. They are not naming the four-door anything else and there WILL be a coupe version and and SRT-8 version with a six speed and 6.1L. I spent about 10 minutes talking to this guy and I didn't sense that he was misdirecting me in any way. Also, the Charger will debut at the Daytona 500, but the "Intrepid" will be raced for the rest of the season since the Charger is an 06 model. FYI.

·
Registered
153 Posts
georgejetson said:
MoparMan said:
I wouldn't count on seeing a six speed in an LX any time soon.
Rumors persist that the SRT Charger will come with a manual trans, though I don't know if a year from now counts as "any time soon". If PVOMan reads this, perhaps he can comment.
It seems to me that Bob Sheaves said at one point that the LX platform was not designed with manuals in mind. I can't comment on the engineering problems that would have to be solved to put a manual in, but I don't think they would be that complicated.

·
Registered
549 Posts
67dartgt360 said:
He tells me that aside from minor details, the C&D rendering IS the Charger.
This is the most depressing news I have heard. I had hoped that the Charger wouldn't look like the C&D rendering since it looks almost like a 300C except for a different grill and some minor tweaks in the sides and rear to try to make it look different. Oh well....If I look at it long enough maybe it will grow on me.

Later

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Nascar nose and grille looks alot different than the C&D renderings if you ask me.

Here is that Wards Auto.com article.

SRT to Expand to Charger, 300 Series

By Kevin Kelly

WardsAuto.com, Jul 14 2004

Plans for the expansion of Chrysler’s LX rear-wheel-drive family of vehicles includes an SRT-8 performance package for the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger, as well as an all-new 6.1L Hemi V-8.

Performance-car fans should get ready for a series of sport-bred vehicles based on the newly introduced Chrysler Group LX rear-wheel-drive platform. The performance derivatives are set to debut in first-quarter 2005.

Sources within the auto maker tell Ward’s Chrysler will introduce a 300C SRT-8 early in 2005, with a Dodge Charger SRT-8 following in September.

Dodge poised to introduce Charger SRT-8 in September.

Both vehicles will be powered by the all-new 6.1L version of Chrysler’s highly acclaimed Hemi V-8 engine.

Sources claim the new powerplant will produce 420 hp and 390 lb.-ft. (528 Nm) of torque, a significant 24% horsepower boost from the 340 hp rating of the current 5.7L Hemi.

Sources also indicate the 6.1L Hemi will not feature Chrysler’s much-touted multi-displacement cylinder-deactivation system. The higher-output 6.1L Hemi will be reserved only for performance applications, where fuel economy routinely is not a top priority.

“We’ll keep the 5.7L for mass production applications, but the 6.1L will be reserved for limited high-performance vehicle production,” a Chrysler insider says.

The Charger SRT-8 will feature a 6-speed manual transmission as standard equipment, boosting the vehicle’s performance potential.

Pilot production of standard Chargers already has begun in preparation for the return of the Charger moniker to Dodge showrooms shortly before the SRT package launches. (See related story: Wall Street Unimpressed With Chrysler Launch Plans)

The source also indicates the auto maker is toying with the idea of launching a 2-door version of the Charger, as well as a 4-seat convertible, based loosely off the Chrysler Hemi C concept vehicle that debuted at the 2000 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

“I’ve seen some mock-ups, but I’m not sure if it’s been given the green light,” the source says.

Separately, the auto maker confirms it has begun production of all-wheel-drive variants of the 300 Series and Dodge Magnum passenger cars in Brampton, Ont., Canada. The AWD models will go on sale this fall.

Dodge will debut AWD versions of its Magnum SXT and RT wagon a few months before the system is available on the Chrysler 300 Limited, Touring and 300C in the fourth quarter.

The ’05 Magnum SXT AWD will base at $27,900, and the Hemi-powered RT AWD at $31,370.

Base price of the ’05 Chrysler 300 Touring AWD will be $29,370 with the 300 Touring AWD starting at $31,215. The Hemi-powered 300C AWD will base at $34,195.

·
Registered
38 Posts
"Also, the Charger will debut at the Daytona 500, but the "Intrepid" will be raced for the rest of the season since the Charger is an 06 model. FYI."

From what I have read, that is not true. Chrysler HAD to get a new model approved by July. Fernandez said as much. Fernandez said they have it approved but Chrysler is still not telling anyone what the car is going to be called, or what the "graphics" on the front are going to look like.

I don't think they would have gone to the trouble of getting that new model approved for racing if they had no intention using it. Additionally, Nascar told Dodge it wanted them racing a product that represented a production car.

·
Registered
549 Posts
shelbyduster said:
Additionally, Nascar told Dodge it wanted them racing a product that represented a production car.
Why bother if it is not in production yet? The cars are called "Stock" cars but they are obivously not even close. I don't understand why it would matter if the car has yet to reach production but it is slated for production in the very near future. About all Nascar is these days is a bunch of guys driving fast in circles with tons of advertisements on the cars looking for the finish line. Now Dodge entiring FIA World Rally Challenge would be something to talk about....

As far as the Manual Transmission on a Charger I can wait until September. The only sucky part about the deal is not having cylinder reduction for highway crusing. Guess I will probably just have to get one of the regular high end Chargers with the 5.7L Hemi to get decent gas mileage. I love performance but high gas prices and a gas guzzler would put a dent in my wallet something fierce.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Folks, take a look at the website that Shelbyduster posted that has spy pics. The article that goes along with it even states that the car looks like the C&D rendering. After looking at the pic, I'd have to agree although the grille is much different. Take a look! I thinkit's one of those things that looks better in person.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I guess the big question is whether or not that car is still being called Charger because the guy who snapped the photos didn't see the name plate.

The car may have once been called "Charger" and they may change the name.

I just hope the there is a two door coupe that looks similar to the Nascar photographs, which are completely different from the spy pics.

After looking at the 300 Hemi C convertible, the Charger coupe could come from that design. You could make a '99 Charger coupe from that platform, and then also produce the Hemi C convertible at the same time.

If they call that car in the spy pics a Charger, then so be it. I could care less.
There have been a lot of ugly Charger sedans over the years. However, the performance versions have been where the fun and the legend is at.

·
Registered
549 Posts
So if memory serves me correctly from some of the things I have read the "Charger" isn't slated to use the exact same platform that the LX uses? So in all reality the pictures that are shown of the black car spy shots might not even be the "Charger" but some thing else? So does anyone know the exact number of cars that are coming out in the near future that will be using the same platform as the 300C and "Charger?" It might be safe to speculate that all of these "Charger" sightings are actually of the different cars in different stages of development that will be share the same wheel base as the 300C and "Charger." I am starting to think rather upbeat thoughts again since the potential for the "Charger" to literally knock your socks off when we really get a chance to see it for real. (Praying to the car gods) :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think they may have done a little research on line, wised up and decided to name the sedan something other than Charger.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really hope, like everyone else, that they do call it something else. Wouldn't it make sense to just call it a Magnum sedan?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts